The Gun Thread

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Well I’m diving into the reloading arena. There’s no 7WSM or 280AI ammo to be had

Anyone with pointers or advice?
I started a few year back. Not sure how far along the path you are yet, but here's some thoughts.
Good calipers are a must. Get Hornady's OAL measuring gauges to go with them.
Start with a good single stage or turret press. Redding T7 or something similar is great.
Get good dies once, don't pay for crap several times. Hornady dies are good, higher levels of Redding dies are better.
Load manuals are a good start, but to get the most out of reloading in your rifles, get a good chronograph.

Just a few to start. I'd be glad to talk more if you wanted to call me about it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I started a few year back. Not sure how far along the path you are yet, but here's some thoughts.
Good calipers are a must. Get Hornady's OAL measuring gauges to go with them.
Start with a good single stage or turret press. Redding T7 or something similar is great.
Get good dies once, don't pay for crap several times. Hornady dies are good, higher levels of Redding dies are better.
Load manuals are a good start, but to get the most out of reloading in your rifles, get a good chronograph.

Just a few to start. I'd be glad to talk more if you wanted to call me about it.
I started gathering stuff not long after I posted that question. Picked up a LabRadar, Forster press, and the dies. No issues with 280 AI brass, I’m just shooting 280 Rem and fire forming it. Been reloading it, still tweaking quite a bit with that caliber.

No such luck on 7WSM. No brass anywhere, and Gun Broker and the like are out in left field on old stock ammo.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I shoot standard stuff for the time being. 6.5 Creedmore and Grendel, although I'm think about 6.5 PRC. 223 and 308, 7 RM although I'm really liking the information on the 7 PRC. It may be my next build. Like I said, powder and primers are the hard things to find, although powder is getting petter.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This was my last build BTW. My first ever high end custom bolt gun. Details:
6.5 Creedmore
Impact Precision action
Trigger Tech 2 stage trigger
Bartlein carbon fiber barrel
XLR chassis with an MDT butt stock
NF NX8 2.5-20 scope on Seekins rings.

IMG_4981.jpg

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Offered to buy my wife a nice rifle. She only wanted a bolt action .22. I drew the line at single shot. She got one with a 10 round mag.

she is thrifty in ways that allow me to spend money so I don’t mind but good lord.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This was my last build BTW. My first ever high end custom bolt gun. Details:
6.5 Creedmore
Impact Precision action
Trigger Tech 2 stage trigger
Bartlein carbon fiber barrel
XLR chassis with an MDT butt stock
NF NX8 2.5-20 scope on Seekins rings.

View attachment 693017
I’m building a 6.5 PRC right now. CF Bartlein barrel, Manners EH1, and going out on a limb and trying the Mack Brothers action.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I’m building a 6.5 PRC right now. CF Bartlein barrel, Manners EH1, and going out on a limb and trying the Mack Brothers action.
Hadn't heard about that one. If I build another this year, it'll be a 7PRC. I want to see how brass availability gets though. Otherwise I may settle for a 6.5 PRC. Will likely use a Terminus 3 lug, 60 degree throw action if I do.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Starve the red states? :lol

From North Dakota all the way down to Texas, from both oil and agriculture/cattle I think they'd do just fine on their own. The blue states have all the money? Riiiiiiight.

Keith Olbermann gets crazier and more stupid every passing year.

Top Bottom