Cowboys sign Prescott to a 4 year contract

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He’d disappear for long stretches of games, play like shit in the2nd and 3rd quarter
Okay, so let's look at the numbers. Here are team passing ranking by yards in the second quarter. Dallas was 4th in 2019.

Now, let's look at the third quarter. Dallas was first in the league in passing yards in the third quarter.

You were saying?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yeah not at all, that's where you fall off. Goff, Wentz and Carr aren't in the same ballpark anymore. Not sure how anyone can even try to claim it anymore.

Dak to me is clearly better than Cousins but he is better than those other guys so a better argument at least.
You're right. Two years ago, Wentz won the East throwing to practice squad guys and ex-truck drivers, while Dak laid an egg with a more or less healthy team. I was wrong to ever put him in Carson's class.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're right. Two years ago, Wentz won the East throwing to practice squad guys and ex-truck drivers, while Dak laid an egg with a more or less healthy team. I was wrong to ever put him in Carson's class.
Two year ago go for it? Wentz today? Not even close. Did you watch Wentz last year? The guy was a mess.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Have they? Show me. (Except for Shannon Sharpe, his opinion is generally worthless.)

Also, show me the statistics that show your assertions as well.

Because I have also watched the games. And in the past 2 1/2 years (since the Cooper trade) what you are saying simply doesn't appear to be true or even close to true. If what you say is true it will show up in the stats.
I spent the better part of 15 minutes compiling the above stats (and now have access to a pretty cool advanced stats page). The numbers don't even begin to bare his claim out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Okay, so let's look at the numbers. Here are team passing ranking by yards in the second quarter. Dallas was 4th in 2019.

Now, let's look at the third quarter. Dallas was first in the league in passing yards in the third quarter.

You were saying?
Congratulations. You are coming around on how players should be judged. Stats prove to a large degree how well a QB is performing notwithstanding win or loss records of the team. :)

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You must have hearing problems. Every time Shannon says that Dak should be paid, Skip follows it up with reminding him of his “F”grades on Dak’s play, to which Shannon responds with them being unrelated.
Yeah. That must be it. I have "hearing problems."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

You were saying?
Those stats are clearly bullshit. Dak sucks in the 2nd and 3rd, or so I hear.

Maybe you have hearing problems, too? :shrug

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. That must be it. I have "hearing problems."
I'm embarrassed to even say I've listened to Skip and Shannon. The whole thing is a fucking shtick. Skip is the over the top homer and Shannon is the mindless idiot who takes the opposite side of the argument. The whole process has not a single bit of expertise to it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm embarrassed to even say I've listened to Skip and Shannon. The whole thing is a fucking shtick. Skip is the over the top homer and Shannon is the mindless idiot who takes the opposite side of the argument. The whole process has not a single bit of expertise to it.
Yeah. When those two clowns come on, either radio or TV, it's channel changing time. Nothing they say means a damn thing to me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And of those that don't bust, how many actually end up better than Dak? This is an utter waste of time. And don't give me some cap excuse either, we had Dak cheap for years and didn't do anything in free agency anyway.

So this, I'd rather draft a guy than overpay is just a lazy excuse.
And in all his time, Dak never had a defense like every other QB he gets compared with did and does.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And in all his time, Dak never had a defense like every other QB he gets compared with did and does.
Honestly, Romo had some of the better defenses early in his career, but fumbled snaps and went to Cabo.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Honestly, Romo had some of the better defenses early in his career, but fumbled snaps and went to Cabo.
We were too conservative on 2006, not attacking their secondary more. The wet k-ball notwithstanding.

I thought the 07 defense was the best, in spite of Brady James. 09 was overrated but decent enough.

The one matchup I didn’t want in 09 was in Minnesota and of course it’s what we got. Our OL forgot to show up.

What hurt most in the playoffs was situational defense. It’s :47 seconds to go, opponent pinned in their end zone in your house. Touchdown Eli in no time at all.

The Giants quick scoring made us overly conservative offensively in the first half. Dropped passes, stupid drive killing penalties from the OL. Just a dumb team with no toughness or killer instinct.

Deep shot, wait, Sensabaugh’s not looking! TD Minnesota. Ray Edwards, four sacks on Colombo. Flozell leaves the game. Romo scrambling for his life... Jared Allen! Six sacks two forced fumbles and a pick from Romo. No help from the running game but one nice run from Felix Jones.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Over his career, Dak has been surer and steadier than Romo, but nowhere near as creative. Dak has always had a guy like Zeke to rely on too, so he hasn't had to force plays.

But the biggest thing is once Parcells left, neither of these guys had winning coaches that could toughen a team or put together a serious offensive strategy. Why did Romo and Witten feel like they had to run the offense? If the coaching was better, it would never have even occurred to them.

data

Forbes #1

You were saying?
“But Dak is a garbage-time superstar”

Well, in his 21 games from 2019-2020, when the Cowboys are leading or tied, Dak’s stats are:

201/298 (67%), 2408 yards, 20TD, 6INT for 105.9 QB rating.

This also excludes the 2 rushing TDs that Dak had.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We were too conservative on 2006, not attacking their secondary more. The wet k-ball notwithstanding.

I thought the 07 defense was the best, in spite of Brady James. 09 was overrated but decent enough.

The one matchup I didn’t want in 09 was in Minnesota and of course it’s what we got. Our OL forgot to show up.

What hurt most in the playoffs was situational defense. It’s :47 seconds to go, opponent pinned in their end zone in your house. Touchdown Eli in no time at all.

The Giants quick scoring made us overly conservative offensively in the first half. Dropped passes, stupid drive killing penalties from the OL. Just a dumb team with no toughness or killer instinct.

Deep shot, wait, Sensabaugh’s not looking! TD Minnesota. Ray Edwards, four sacks on Colombo. Flozell leaves the game. Romo scrambling for his life... Jared Allen! Six sacks two forced fumbles and a pick from Romo. No help from the running game but one nice run from Felix Jones.
So anyways, Prescott is good enough and deserves a contract. Romo got his money immediately.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So anyways, Prescott is good enough and deserves a contract. Romo got his money immediately.
Prescott could have had a contract also but his agent was holding out for a top pay scale with no justification at the time. The Elliot move for top pay long before he was due for a contract also created an attitude with the Jones that put them in a bad light and they over reacted to Prescott’s agent making it difficult for them to accept the proposals and being labeled as soft negotiators that could be played.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If they can't get Prescott signed long-term they had better do everything they can to trade him and make a move for Wilson.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Prescott could have had a contract also but his agent was holding out for a top pay scale with no justification at the time. The Elliot move for top pay long before he was due for a contract also created an attitude with the Jones that put them in a bad light and they over reacted to Prescott’s agent making it difficult for them to accept the proposals and being labeled as soft negotiators that could be played.
You do realize that Wentz, Goff and others got deals, right?

Are you one of those people who blame agents?

And in reference to the Elliott deal, I am damn sure bringing that up if I am Todd France.

Top Bottom