The Cowboys get the job done, while a few teams above them did not: The Morning After

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
No. Shit is fluid each and every week. Momentum is a funny thing. That and how teams match up with each other is different with everybody. How else would you explain stuff like Brady getting shut out at home by a mediocre Saints team? The Lions mauling the Cardinals? etc... And that was only last week. Strange shit we don't expect happens every week.
I was referencing our anemic run game, which has been stuck in first gear for a number of weeks. Hopefully it gets back on track with the change at OL, and Zeke getting closer to 100%.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I was referencing our anemic run game, which has been stuck in first gear for a number of weeks. Hopefully it gets back on track with the change at OL, and Zeke getting closer to 100%.
Yeah, I know. You compared our running game against the skins to the eagles against the skin. And like I said... Not worried, for the reasons I said.

But I'd hardly call 122 yards rushing 'anemic' or being stuck in first gear. 9 teams avg more than that per game. 5 of them being less than 5 yards above. The 200 yards the eagles rushed for is a rarity. Trying to compare a running game against that number is just being unrealistic.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah, I know. You compared our running game against the skins to the eagles against the skin. And like I said... Not worried, for the reasons I said.

But I'd hardly call 122 yards rushing 'anemic' or being stuck in first gear. 9 teams avg more than that per game. 5 of them being less than 5 yards above. The 200 yards the eagles rushed for is a rarity. Trying to compare a running game against that number is just being unrealistic.
Well, the reality is Dallas is struggling at 25th in Red Zone scoring, and has 2 major red flags with a QB who is struggling - 21st in first down rushing percentage, and 16th in total rushing first downs per game. Whats worse is Dallas is 31st in the league in Red zone scoring over the last 3 games. We aren’t imposing our will running the ball like we did the first half of the season. I know Zeke is beat up and then Pollard had issues but damn I hate it’s right now. The run game should be worrisome for a team headed for the playoffs with Dak seemingly still stuck in a rut.

ZeroClub

UFA
So did the 49ers back in the day. Our division was always a bloodbath. They had the Rams, Saints and Falcons.
And those 49ers had a systematic scheduling advantage too. Their division had 4 teams instead of the 5 that were in each of the other divisions in the conference.

Because no team in the 49ers division could finish in 5th place (there were only 4 teams), the NFC West teams also played the 5th place finishers from the other two divisions.

Essentially, the NFC West was missing a team, but the schedule assumed the NFC West was missing a worst team. (It is difficult to believe the league was so dumb.)

Those 49ers teams played an extra soft schedule.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Every dynasty, every one, is based on a crappy division.

Except the 90’s Cowboys.

70’s Steelers four team AFC Central was possibly worse than even the 80’s 49ers’ four team NFC West except for a brief stretch with Pastorini and Earl Campbell in Houston

70’s Cowboys NFC East was an absolute joke minus like one good year for Washington. The 2000/2010’s Patriots’ AFC East— historically pathetic for two decades.

90’s Cowboys NFC East featured four straight Superbowl champs from three separate teams. Thats why the rest pale by comparison.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Except the 90’s Cowboys.

70’s Steelers four team AFC Central was possibly worse than even the 80’s 49ers’ four team NFC West except for a brief stretch with Pastorini and Earl Campbell in Houston

70’s Cowboys NFC East was an absolute joke minus like one good year for Washington. The 2000/2010’s Patriots’ AFC East— historically pathetic for two decades.

90’s Cowboys NFC East featured four straight Superbowl champs from three separate teams. Thats why the rest pale by comparison.
Well the good news is our division is pure stank right now outside of the Cowboys. So that's a good sign right?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Except the 90’s Cowboys.

Not to mention the whole 3/4 thing. The big difference there is that we won Super Bowls in straight up dominating fashion, and the one year we didn't win we made it to the NFCC and lost to another powerhouse team that could've easily won 2-3 during that stretch in their own right, plus the obvious mitigating circumstances.

The Patriots barely eked out all three of their Super Bowls during the first run and the year they didn't win it all they didn't even make the playoffs.

The totality of the Patriots dynasty is clearly the greatest of all time, but you can't lump the 2016 Patriots in with the 2003 Patriots when the only links are Brady/Belichick, so for me the greatest team (which can only be roughly a 5 to maybe 7 year stretch given roster turnover) of all time are those early 90's Cowboys.

p1_

DCC 4Life
so for me the greatest team (which can only be roughly a 5 to maybe 7 year stretch given roster turnover) of all time are those early 90's Cowboys.
Fantasy matchup for me: the 90s Cowboys teams vs the 70s Steelers teams.

ZeroClub

UFA
Fantasy matchup for me: the 90s Cowboys teams vs the 70s Steelers teams.
FWIW - Tex Schramm used to say he was sorry the Steelers didn't make it to SB XII (Jan. 1978; Cowboys over Broncos), because he thought the Cowboys would have beaten the Steelers and changed the narrative.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
FWIW - Tex Schramm used to say he was sorry the Steelers didn't make it to SB XII (Jan. 1978; Cowboys over Broncos), because he thought the Cowboys would have beaten the Steelers and changed the narrative.
Well, it would've been the Raiders had they upheld that Broncos fumble in the AFC Champ Game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well, it would've been the Raiders had they upheld that Broncos fumble in the AFC Champ Game.
Yep, though I think Pittsburgh-Oakland would have been more fun to watch.

I remember watching that AFCC game hoping for an Oakland-Dallas dream matchup. They were my two favorite teams at the time.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom