The Coronavirus Thread...

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here but I think this is the exact thing government should excel at as its something that we individually cant take on by ourselves and there has been plenty of warning about an impending pandemic and that we weren't prepared for it. Bill Gates warned of this in 2015 and even met with Trump to repeat the warning.

I'm indicting both parties because they have no demonstrated the collective will to take on certain issues like this without letting insane politics and other shiny objects distract them from planning in advance for something like this.

As usual, disaster seems to get everyones attention and only then will something finally be done but on the heels of panic and desperation where emotions are high and avoidable mistakes will be made.

But here we are so lets hope we come out of this with a new sense of urgency to have a nationwide plan for how to handle the next pandemic and enough cooler heads can prevail to make it happen
Just a quick drive by point, don’t mean to be nitpicky, but we as individualsand collectively are the ones that could make the most impact on this disease by being responsible and choking this thing out.

No government official is going to fix this.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I enjoy reading your posts, as well as Booze's as, while I don't always agree with them, they are at least well thought out. I'm not a huge fan of the Dems as much as a hater of the Reps. The Reps have consistently been on the wrong side of so many issues that are important to me and so obvious (gay marriage, separation of religion, assault weapons, the environment, universal healthcare). I see their justification for their positions to be, frankly, corrupt and disingenuous. Few Rep politicians really believe that people aren't causing climate change. They know. They are just lying about it because they are bought and paid for. Few Reps really were against gay marriage. They have gay friends just like most of us who are mature adults. They were against it because they were playing to the least common denominator.

Now Dems are super full-of-shit as well. All the thought police crap is nauseating. A man says a woman looks nice and is suddenly a sex offender. Their expectations that everyone is perfect to whatever new wave bullshit mode of thinking is in vogue is ridiculous. Then you have people running around saying they are for shit like reparations when they know damn well that's an empty promise. They are bought and paid for as well, just possibly by a less scary contingency. I agree they have a tendency towards being intellectually superior but when the other side seems to disrespect education and science, it's hard not to.

I think the real reason Trump was elected was 1) the Dems ran a shitty candidate they loved but few others did and 2) free trade has fucked over a generation of young and middle-aged Americans. People have few opportunities, especially in the "fly over" states and they pissed. That's why they keep flip-flopping between the parties hoping someone will change things for them. Of course, unless you severely restrict free trade that's not going to change. We're still gonna be a country of waiters and Walmart workers rather than factory workers. That's not on the table, really, because the people who really control the world are getting filthy rich.

So, I tend to lean more towards the Dems. However, I would have voted for McCain over Hillary, or Romney over Hillary. So it's not all about party. Character matters.

I would love to have a moderate party which simply took the most rational approach to issues rather than being so interested in riding wedge issues into the ground. Honestly I could give 2 shits about abortion. Abort, don't abort. Leave me out of it. I bet a lot of people think that way. Bigger fish to fry. But my moderate party probably wouldn't be your moderate party and we're right back at it.

Term limits would help but essentially you have to get money out of politics. The Supreme Court has moved to block that so you have to fix that as well. It's a mess.
I've gone round and round thinking about what might work best and the only things I've come up with is term limits and more viable parties so its not just split between D & R's.

I also wonder if its just not in human nature to have the kind of consensus & solidarity required to be uber efficient and effective because when we do, it ends up looking something like this:

1585966864795.png

maybe the chaos and the strife somehow, counter-intuitively keeps something even worse from happening?

Chaos, massive blind spots, beauty, hypocrisy and brilliance were all in play when the country was founded, somehow they managed to write the Bill of Rights yet most of the signatories had slaves in their back yard and apparently didn't notice the disconnect

Makes me wonder where my blind spots are...

Last edited:

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Just a quick drive by point, don’t mean to be nitpicky, but we as individualsand collectively are the ones that could make the most impact on this disease by being responsible and choking this thing out.

No government official is going to fix this.
I agree but if its only you and I doing it, we're screwed.

We need an over riding force that is trusted who educates and forces a plan nationwide so its effective. As we're seeing, some places still don't understand the point of the quarantine is to do it when the numbers are low, miss that opportunity and you cant ever get it back.

Further, better planning could have had nationwide testing ready to happen in a moments notice, coupled with tracking of the afflicted, asymptomatic and recovered (who can go back to work) would have drastically helped. Obviously more complicated than what I just mentioned but I understand an effective plan implemented by their government is happening in S Korea and they haven't had to shut down their economy.

They learned from their last pandemic, will we?

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
A man wearing a face mask crosses the Charles Bridge in Prague on Tuesday
thats a beautiful place, I was there in 1988 before the wall fell and had a big al schooner of lager made by in the cellar of a bar right off the end of this bridge. IIRC, it cost me a quarter

the place was so repressed by the specter of the Soviet Union, you could feel the tension in the air everywhere you went

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm curious as to what yall that have been mostly staying home have gotten done.

I have cleaned every gun I have multiple times, reorganized ammo, redid the tile in one bathroom, changed the injectors and ppump on my work truck, and my fav so far is welding class with my grandkids.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You don't get the point of that tweet at all, it's showing NY wants more govt control of the supply chains while Texas removes regulations to let the free market work itself out
The free market has NYC having to outbid every other state for PPE. I think Cuomo said he was buying shit at a 300% markup. Most states have laws against gouging people in disaster. Free market in a national disaster makes no fucking sense at all. Limited supplies should be allocated based on need. Right now Louisiana and NYC have the most need. In 2 weeks it might be Chicago and LA. The sad part is once this starts hitting Red states, the rules will likely change.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It isn’t the President who will be the one to overcome the pandemic. He is figurehead and cheerleader. It’s the people of the nation who will ultimately be the force or non force that determines the outcome of all this. He should not be viewed as the cause or the solution rather whether he rallied the country. Taking a political position about this circumstance to try to make inroads toward the next election is just inappropriate.
Again with the horseshit. A leader's job is to lead. All shit-for-brains had to do is get up last night and rec everybody wear some sort of mask in public. Say that he calls on the State governors to pass ordinances to encourage it and make cloth masks available to citizens. Doesn't have to be draconian, just rec it and make it a warning thing. Would save thousands of lives. Instead he gets up and speaks out all sides of his mouth and throws out a bunch of bullshit about scarves which he made up on the spot in his rat infested brain. Says do it, don't it, whatevs. That's not leadership. That's stupidity. Be definitive, be clear.

Also, holding a leader responsible for his mistakes is absolutely appropriate.

data

Forbes #1
HBO is free. There’s that.
how do ya figur?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Again with the horseshit. A leader's job is to lead. All shit-for-brains had to do is get up last night and rec everybody wear some sort of mask in public. Say that he calls on the State governors to pass ordinances to encourage it and make cloth masks available to citizens. Doesn't have to be draconian, just rec it and make it a warning thing. Would save thousands of lives. Instead he gets up and speaks out all sides of his mouth and throws out a bunch of bullshit about scarves which he made up on the spot in his rat infested brain. Says do it, don't it, whatevs. That's not leadership. That's stupidity. Be definitive, be clear.

Also, holding a leader responsible for his mistakes is absolutely appropriate.
Well at least we know you will always be objective about political matters. :picard
I see a lot of Congressman Schiff in your response.
The President is helping with needed funds.
The Democratic leaders want another investigation.
Can you see a trend?

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ust a matter of time before they get a bailout.
They have already gotten one. Our local airport is getting something like 6 million. Not sure what the airlines are getting.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm curious as to what yall that have been mostly staying home have gotten done.

I have cleaned every gun I have multiple times, reorganized ammo, redid the tile in one bathroom, changed the injectors and ppump on my work truck, and my fav so far is welding class with my grandkids.
I planted some shrubs and have built 3 cornhole sets. That's about it. Oh, and I mowed. Of course, the gun cleaning is an obvious.

Top Bottom