The Athletic: What the Cowboys are getting in LSU LB Jabril Cox, a rangy defender with the speed to play the modern game

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Brody Miller May 1, 2021

BATON ROUGE, La. — Three national titles. All-American honors. NFL draft buzz around him. Jabril Cox didn’t need to come to LSU. Most of his North Dakota State teammates assumed he’d turn pro a year ago.

But he chose to transfer to LSU and the SEC because he didn’t want to just make the NFL. He wanted to ensure he succeeded in the NFL. After going unrecruited by Power 5 programs out of high school, the star linebacker decided to go up against the best to up his game.

“He felt like he wasn’t given that opportunity to prove himself,” his father James said last spring, “and I think that’s what he’s all about: Trying to better himself and trying to prove himself.”

He proved himself well enough to be selected in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys, validating his decision despite a challenging LSU season.

LSU’s 2020 defense was an issue, ranking toward the bottom of the FBS in total yardage and explosive plays allowed. But Cox was the primary bright spot, a rangy, modern linebacker who can cover receivers in the slot and run sideline to sideline. More than half of his snaps were in coverage, and Pro Football Focus gave him an 83.5 coverage grade. That’s what NFL teams want from a linebacker these days.

Even though he only spent mere months in Baton Rouge, he was the rare veteran presence LSU trusted to meet with the media every week. He finished with three interceptions to go with 6.5 tackles for loss while the team struggled.

A former high school quarterback, Cox went the FCS route out of high school because a knee injury crushed his Power 5 dreams. He broke out as the next star at FCS powerhouse North Dakota State because he picked up the defense immediately and demonstrated unteachable skills.

The Cowboys are getting a linebacker with defensive back athleticism and the football IQ to get the most out of it.

LIVE BLOG: The latest from the NFL Draft
BIG BOARD: Best available players remaining
ROUND 2-3: Dane Brugler’s analysis | Sheil Kapadia’s grades
ROUND 1: Brugler’s analysis | Kapadia’s grades

Dane Brugler on Jabril Cox (No. 6 LB, No. 77 overall prospect in The Beast)
Cox is an excellent space athlete for his size and does a great job squeezing routes in either man or zone coverages. While he prefers to play in the open, he is inconsistent through contact near the line of scrimmage and must improve the consistency of his take-on and tackling skills. Overall, Cox has holes in his game, primarily with his run fits, that make it tough to love him, but he is easy to like with his smooth athleticism, spatial awareness and football character. He projects as a versatile defender with three-down potential.

Top college highlight
Cox intercepted Arkansas quarterback Feleipe Franks in the second quarter of a crucial game and displayed exactly who he’s selling himself as to NFL teams. He lept in the air in zone coverage, made an acrobatic catch and then returned it 30 yards to set up an LSU touchdown. He was just a few yards shy of what would have been his second pick-six of the short season.

Coach speak
“I think sometimes guys who are quiet or silent, they’re probably the smartest ones in the room. They’re taking all the information in. Jabril doesn’t need to be up front. He doesn’t need to have all the attention. He’s dedicated to his craft and wants to be the best football player he could be.” – North Dakota State head coach Matt Entz

Media moment
There’s no specific moment from Cox that stands out with the media. It’s the fact he was a transfer, in a pandemic, who had only been on campus for a month or two when LSU essentially made him a program ambassador. No matter how bad things got, Cox spoke with reporters and explained what went wrong and how he’d work to fix it. Only two or three players really did that. That’s a tough situation for anyone, let alone a new guy. It showed maturity.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling, from many of yalls reactions, that you like Cox better than Parsons. The approval meter basically broke when he was selected.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I get the feeling, from many of yalls reactions, that you like Cox better than Parsons. The approval meter basically broke when he was selected.
I think they are different players that will bring different skills and contributions. Cox is by far the better coverage backer, but Parsons is a beast against the run and a terror in the pass rush, so it's really hard to compare the two. I liked both picks about equally but for different reasons. They should make one helluva pairing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think they are different players that will bring different skills and contributions. Cox is by far the better coverage backer, but Parsons is a beast against the run and a terror in the pass rush, so it's really hard to compare the two. I liked both picks about equally but for different reasons. They should make one helluva pairing.
agreed on the pairing, complimentary skillsets wreaking havoc.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Value, really. He legit could have gone in the 2nd round, going by media ‘consensus’ and we got him in the 4th.

Everyone knew Parsons was the best defensive player in the draft. If there wasn’t such an insane demand for CBs he’d have gone higher.

boozeman isn’t a fan of Parsons’ off field BS or that he didn’t play in 2020. Others don’t care for so called ‘off-ball’ LBs.

I was ecstatic. Besides being a physical freak on the RAS scale, this guy makes plays all over the field. He’s a sideline to sideline beast, anticipates routes in coverage, and is plain nasty as a blitzer and stripper of the football.

There’s no projecting with him, he’s going to kill it as a pro

p1_

DCC 4Life
Value, really. He legit could have gone in the 2nd round, going by media ‘consensus’ and we got him in the 4th.

Everyone knew Parsons was the best defensive player in the draft. If there wasn’t such an insane demand for CBs he’d have gone higher.

boozeman isn’t a fan of Parsons’ off field BS or that he didn’t play in 2020. Others don’t care for so called ‘off-ball’ LBs.

I was ecstatic. Besides being a physical freak on the RAS scale, this guy makes plays all over the field. He’s a sideline to sideline beast, anticipates routes in coverage, and is plain nasty as a blitzer and stripper of the football.

There’s no projecting with him, he’s going to kill it as a pro
maybe Jerry wasnt bullshitting when he said they valued Parsons higher than the corners.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I mentioned this guy's name years ago as somebody to keep an eye out for. Never had a doubt that he was headed for the NFL

All homerism aside, I can't even begin to describe how happy I was when I saw that we had picked him.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
I mentioned this guy's name years ago as somebody to keep an eye out for. Never had a doubt that he was headed for the NFL

All homerism aside, I can't even begin to describe how happy I was when I saw that we had picked him.
Is it enough to forgive the Wright pick?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

You have a history of clearly identifying the NDSU players who can play.

Except Wentz of course.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You have a history of clearly identifying the NDSU players who can play.

Except Wentz of course.
Wentz can play. He ended up in a fucked up dysfunctional mess in philly.

He'll come back in Indy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Is it enough to forgive the Wright pick?
Not sure what Wright has to do with Cox, other than being taken ahead of him.

I'm not one to dwell on where a player was drafted after they've been in the league for a year or two. Only if they can play or not.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Not sure what Wright has to do with Cox, other than being taken ahead of him.

I'm not one to dwell on where a player was drafted after they've been in the league for a year or two. Only if they can play or not.
that's what I meant, Wright being drafted ahead of Cox, and I assumed you probably didn't love the pick in round 3. There was a general rebound reaction to the Cox pick. Almost universal in approval.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
that's what I meant, Wright being drafted ahead of Cox, and I assumed you probably didn't love the pick in round 3. There was a general rebound reaction to the Cox pick. Almost universal in approval.
Oh, I did not like the Wright pick, right along with everyone else. But truth be known, I didn't expect to take Cox in the 3rd, either. I figured with the selection of Parsons, we wouldn't look towards LBer again until around the 5th or so. Didn't expect Cox to fall as far as he did, and when he was there in the 4th, my hopes were up. But still didn't quite believe it would happen.

Last edited:
  • Props
Reactions: p1_

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Wentz can play. He ended up in a fucked up dysfunctional mess in philly.

He'll come back in Indy.
I kind of hope so. I liked him when he got to the NFL and hated that he went to Philthy

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I kind of hope so. I liked him when he got to the NFL and hated that he went to Philthy
There is no possible way to describe how much I hated that he went to Philly.

I don't really like that Trey Lance is in San Fran, but at least he didn't end up in Philly, Washington, or, New York.

I'm ok with Radunz in Tenn, and REALLY ok with where Cox wound up. :art

Top Bottom