The Athletic: The Cowboys are one of the most talented teams in the league. Why aren’t they better?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Ross Tucker Nov 19, 2019 148

Why aren’t the Cowboys better?

It’s a question I’ve asked several times throughout this season, including again on Sunday as they struggled to put away Jeff Driskel and the Detroit Lions in Week 11.

Ultimately they were able to get it done and even though it’s a cliché I’m a big believer that you never have to apologize for winning a game in the NFL because it’s never easy even though sometimes it may look like it is. A win is a win, as they say, and the Cowboys took care of business by beating the Lions 35-27.

And yet, the Cowboys’ contest against the Lions stood out on Sunday because unlike most of the other lopsided contests, the ‘Boys had to scratch and claw to get a victory over yet another shorthanded and outmanned opponent this season.

The win gets them to 6-4 on the season, one game ahead of the Eagles atop the NFC East. That’s nothing to be embarrassed about but doesn’t it feel like they should be so much better?

Look at their roster and how those guys have played so far this season. Their highly-touted offensive line has been stellar for the most part as it feels like quarterback Dak Prescott has all kinds of time to throw when he drops back to pass.

The wide receivers have been generally outstanding as Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, and Randall Cobb have all made spectacular plays.

The tight ends aren’t the focal point of the offense but they’ve done a nice job blocking, veteran Jason Witten has had some high volume games, and Blake Jarwin has made some plays when called upon like that critical catch and run against the Giants at the end of first half on Monday Night Football.

Zeke Elliott is one of the best running backs in the NFL and even though he has been somewhat slowed down the last couple of games, that was after he went for over 100 yards rushing three games in a row (against the Jets, Eagles and Giants).

Then you have Prescott. He is in the middle of by far the best season of his career and deserves way more credit than he is currently getting. He should be right in the thick of any MVP conversation and my guess is if Dallas was 8-2 instead of 6-4, he’d be the first name mentioned after guys like Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson. Frankly, he probably should be anyway even at 6-4. He’s completing close to 68% of his passes while averaging over 320 yards passing per game and racking up 21 touchdowns already. In fact, his numbers are close to what they’ve been the last three years except for the minor detail that he still has six games to play.

So to review, that’s: An MVP candidate quarterback. An All-Pro running back. A great wide receiver trio. An all-Pro laden offensive line. A 6-4 record with losses to the Drew Brees-less Saints, Davante Adams-less Packers at home, Adam Thielen-less Vikings at home, and the New York Jets. The Jets? Something doesn’t quite add up.

The defense has probably been a little disappointing but even in the loss to the Saints at the end of September they only gave up 12 points. Defensive end Robert Quinn has been a great pick-up and leads the team with 8.5 sacks. Fellow defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence may not have racked up huge numbers so far, but he’s been his normally disruptive self for the most part. The young stud linebackers, Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch, probably haven’t been as impactful this year as they were a year ago but they still possess rare athletic ability for the position. The secondary is probably the weakest part of the roster but it’s hard to have every position group on the team littered with Pro Bowlers.

The problem is that they have struggled to win close games (or to win against decent opponents outside of their division, for that matter.) The Lions’ win was their first against a team in a one-score game.

Many will point to head coach Jason Garrett and rightfully so. But giving all the credit to coordinator Kellen Moore when things go well offensively while placing the blame at Garrett’s feet when they have a bad sequence like they did at the end of the Vikings’ game seems disingenuous.

What is crazy is the uber-talented Cowboys will be in an absolute dogfight just to make the playoffs. They are a couple of wins behind the Seahawks and Vikings for a wildcard spot which means their best bet will be to win the division. They are the favorites to win the NFC East at this point over a beat-up Philadelphia bunch but the Eagles, with the exception of this Sunday’s game against the Seahawks, are going into the soft part of their schedule (after Seattle they face the Dolphins, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys and Giants). Dallas will likely have to hold serve the rest of the season and win that Week 16 matchup in Philadelphia to punch their ticket.

The problem is, even if they do, they will very likely have to win three playoff games, including two on the road, to get to the Super Bowl, which doesn’t seem likely.

Which means we are probably looking at a disappointing season for the Cowboys. Again.

And I’m still not sure I know why.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Four interceptions all year and they whiffed on C. Williams, Hill and Taco in recent drafts. It adds up. Compare this to what Mike Mayock has done for the Raiders in less than one year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
but doesn’t it feel like they should be so much better?

YES.

(As an aside, this quote system is a great feature of the new board. All I had to do was highlight the portion I wanted to quote and it did the work for me.)

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One simple change Garrett and Moore can make that should at least get the team off to faster starts is abandon the idea of establishing the run early. Prescott and the receivers have been on fire in recent weeks. Rather than waiting 3 or 4 offensive possessions into the game to remove the reigns from the passing attack, they should come out of the gate early leaning on a pass-heavy offensive attack. I want to seem them throw a few uppercuts early rather than continue to throw those weak ass jabs that have typically resulted in nothing but slow starts and double-digit deficits.

An obvious problem is they've become fairly predictable in certain situations, such as the types of plays they prefer to run to start off games. The reason that 1st down sealing play to Jarwin was so successful is it broke away from traditional Garrett tendencies and it caught the Lions flat-footed. Garrett and the Cowboys have a long history of just slamming their RBs into the middle of the OL on all 3 downs in end of game situations such as last Sunday's. That's why the Lions bit so hard on the run action on that play.

That's the mentality Garrett needs to coach with down the stretch and in the postseason if he wants to keep his job.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But they're huge on getting into the right play, taking what the defense will give them, etc.

That's why it'll be so fascinating to see what Belichick decides to take away. Can Dallas win with the other parts?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Just because Bbgun mentioned it, how good is Mayock looking as a GM right now?

I kinda chuckled when I heard he was hired, dude looks like he’s a legit GM..

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Just because Bbgun mentioned it, how good is Mayock looking as a GM right now?

I kinda chuckled when I heard he was hired, dude looks like he’s a legit GM..
I've been a huge Mayock fan every since I started following his work on NFLN well over a decade ago. Unlike most other analysts he was never about schtick and hot takes. He's a straight shooter who does his homework. I respect and prefer analysts like that.

One of my favorite Mayock moments was from a few years ago when he took the NFL to task on live TV for making a mockery of the draft process by having apes and shit announce the picks.

As for the job he's done in Oakland, I believed in him early and thought he'd do a good job, but I have to admit I was leaning towards jumping off his bandwagon when he made the Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper trades. But he won me back the way he handled the Antonio Brown situation.

Top Bottom