The Athletic: NFL Agents Speak On Jerry Jones

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe because the discussion at hand was the article posted? Like I mentioned earlier, if somebody were to write an article citing him as one of the league's best coaches and found a few quotes so support it, I'm sure that would be what was discussed. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Opinion pieces are just that. Opinions of the select few chosen to support the authors topic.
Im trying to say that the article doesnt necessarily possess an inherent bias against MM. I don't think the author was selecting only negative opinions of McCarthy. Or looking for them to suit his agenda. I think his agent selection was broad enough to provide opportunity for positive or negative opinion of the coach. Plus, the topic at hand was Jerry, not McCarthy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not saying it’s gospel but it is concerning. If the insiders don’t think highly of McCarthy then maybe he’s not what we thought.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not saying it’s gospel but it is concerning. If the insiders don’t think highly of McCarthy then maybe he’s not what we thought.

I think we'll see whether he is or not based on the product on the field.

I'm not really worried about what an agent thinks of him. They probably have little to no direct contact with HCs. So their opinion is likely based on observations from afar or second or third hand through players.

What if the agent saying this represents Aaron Rodgers? That would I'm sure affect how he feels about McCarthy.

There's so much unknown behind this that it doesn't concern me.

Not that I'm all in on McCarthy, but ultimately we're going to have to find out on the field regardless.

If there were specific criticisms here I might feel differently depending on what it is.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's obviously too early to officially judge McCarthy's Cowboy career, but last year he was hot garbage in no uncertain terms.

Completely fucked up the defense. That was both his hire and his oversight, and as HC he was culpable for half the f'ing team. There are no excuses here. He fucked up the defense as bad as Garrett ever did, maybe even worse.

Being completely unprepared for Lael Collins being out for the season is inexcusable. You HAD to have seen that coming if you are watching practice and getting daily info from docs and trainers. That we had Steele starting opening day was ridiculous.

Same with Zeke not being ready which he clearly wasn't and the coaches feeding him anyway. What? This is a pro team, man. I use the COVID excuse to bench him. Don't coddle him no matter how much money he's making. If he's out of shape privately let him know he's not going to play until he gets into shape.

Instead McCarthy pandered to the star culture, old boy network, and favorites of assistants-- just like Garrett and every other bad coach.

He also let statistics get into his head a bit too much, and it negatively affected his playcalling. Your first responsibility in gauging a scenario must be observing the performance of the men on the field, not looking at spreadsheets of down and distance numbers and ML algorithm output. Especially game one. Kick the f'ing field goal man, and stop overthinking

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
When McCarthy flamed out in Packerland, there were many pundits questioning his ability to coach, especially if he didn’t have Rodgers to pull his ass along.

I’m still in that camp that Rodgers made McCarthy look much better than he really is.

This season will tell us if he’s truly a coach who can get the Cowboys over the hump.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it's a little bit nonsensical to say the Packers under McCarthy weren't as good without Rodgers.

Rodgers is a future HOFer. Of course the team was much worse without him. Especially since their backup QB was usually pretty bad.

I think the important thing to realize with McCarthy is that his record with Favre was pretty good too.

It wasn't just Rodgers carrying him along. We've seen McCarthy win with 2 different good QBs.

McCarthy went 8-8 and 13-3 with Favre with a conference championship game appearance (and notably the team was 4-12, also with Favre, the year before McCarthy arrived).

And incidentally this was Favre no longer in his prime.

So yeah, McCarthy doesn't have Rodgers anymore. But he does have a top 5 / top 10 QB. It's certainly good enough.

I'm certain not having Rodgers won't be the thing holding McCarthy back.

The real question right now is, is the defense good enough?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I still remember Fat Mike beating us with Matt Freaking Flynn when we had Tony Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
McCarthy passed too much and went empty backfield far too often in GB.

What I don’t understand is how these “offensive” coaches know their defenses are fucked up, yet don’t lean in and help fix?

p1_

DCC 4Life
McCarthy passed too much and went empty backfield far too often in GB.

What I don’t understand is how these “offensive” coaches know their defenses are fucked up, yet don’t lean in and help fix?
When you have an Aaron Rogers or a Tom Brady, you can become pass happy and unbalanced.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When you have an Aaron Rogers or a Tom Brady, you can become pass happy and unbalanced.
True, but against some teams like 10's Seattle you had to chill with the empty backfields. GB lost some stupid games to Seattle in particular they should not have.

There was one idiotic game where they literally didn't throw in Richard Sherman's direction admittedly by design. You can't win that way

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom