The Athletic: NFL Agents Speak On Jerry Jones

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Came from a bigger article from The Athletic

What’s your sense of the Cowboys’ organization and management under Jerry Jones now that it’s been 25 years since they won the Super Bowl?

“The best ownership group in sports. Worst head coach in sports. Anything that begins and ends with mismanagement talk begins with who they hired as head coach. But nobody treats their players like them, has the facilities like them, is willing to spend the money to make sure everyone is the happiest. Nobody markets their organization better. …

“They’re on a different plane when it comes to the business of football. They don’t win (big), but they don’t have to. There will be 100,000 people at every game. They will still make money all day long. They just crush it. He’s the best and worst (owner) at the same time, but when have you ever met a player who didn’t want to play for Dallas? I’ve had players leave for other teams and then become miserable. Football is tertiary to the Dallas Cowboys organization. It’s the business of football, not the game of football. His biggest issue is he loves to be loved.”

“They will always have good players because players want to play there for reasons like no state taxes, but there are too many players there for the wrong reasons. There’s a high floor with the Cowboys, but it’s close to the ceiling.”

“I like Jerry’s approach. If I’m cutting the checks, I’m having a say in what’s happening. He’s a football guy so it’s hard to say, ‘I’m not involved day to day.’ I don’t know about some of the decisions like paying Dak (Prescott). Now, 25 years is a long time, but look at the Milwaukee Bucks. Just takes one year. Anything is possible.”

“(VP of player personnel) Will McClay does a good job and does a lot of the day-to-day work over there. It’s just hard to win in this league, but they’re in a good position roster-wise. They should be able to score with anyone. Get the defense decent and they have a window. Jerry weighs in a lot, but Stephen (Jones, the team’s executive VP and Jerry’s son) and Will make the calls on the roster.”

“Jerry is in charge and makes the ultimate decisions. … That makes it hard for a head coach to stand in front of a team and claim ultimate command when everyone knows he doesn’t have it.”

“Jerry is a very, very interesting person. Respect the way he treats people. He puts winning and players first, do what it takes to win. Believes you win with players, so he takes care of them. That they haven’t won a Super Bowl lately, oh well, lots of teams haven’t. I have great respect for them.”

“Jerry needs to get his ass out of the way. He’s a narcissist. He’s also a great businessman. Stay in your lane. He plays GM like a fan.”

“The biggest problem for Jerry is he always has to be relevant and they haven’t been. They’re just another team right now. With that coaching staff, they’re a .500 team. Jerry hasn’t been so bad, but he’s been a very middle-of-the-pack owner who has done more than harm good in the long haul.”

“Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones. If you asked most fans around the world to name an NFL owner, I’d bet my life Jerry gets picked the most. Without him, this league isn’t what it is. Maybe it’s been 25 years since they won a Super Bowl, but we’re still talking about them all the time. Dallas is the best organization in the league. I have so much respect for what they have built.”

“Jerry Jones is like Al Davis. He’s calling the shots whether you agree with them or not. Consider this: If Dallas had a GM for 25 years and they never won a Super Bowl during that time, would that guy still be Jerry’s GM? Come on.”

“I think Jerry is a dream for an agent. I’ve seen how important ownership is, and the No. 1 thing is the willingness to do whatever it takes to be a contender. He’s willing to go spend and overspend to be competitive. Maybe they don’t win a Super Bowl, but he is trying to win and I don’t think you can say that about half the ownership in the league.

“Mike McCarthy doesn’t make sense to me, but he is a Super Bowl-winning coach. I think they built a solid foundation and Dallas is a contender, especially playing in the (NFC East). I’m a Jerry apologist, but what can people inside the organization complain about? He delegates more than people think he does, they have unbelievable facilities, and the players love him.”

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
omg, did one of us write this?

“They’re on a different plane when it comes to the business of football. They don’t win (big), but they don’t have to. There will be 100,000 people at every game. They will still make money all day long. They just crush it. He’s the best and worst (owner) at the same time, but when have you ever met a player who didn’t want to play for Dallas? I’ve had players leave for other teams and then become miserable. Football is tertiary to the Dallas Cowboys organization. It’s the business of football, not the game of football. His biggest issue is he loves to be loved.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Surprised how much shit they're talking about the coaches tbh

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Nobody else wanted Fat Mike, but he conned Jerry by using words like "analytics" and lying about how many Dallas games he had watched during his forced sabbatical. Oh well, too late now.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Are agents the best judge of coaches anyway? Most of them probably hear mostly bad things about them from their star player clients, because of course the star players can't be to blame. Has to be those coaches holding them back.

They're much more qualified to judge which front offices and owners are easiest to work with.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Calling McCarthy the worst coach in sports is ridiculous, anybody who wins a SB, even someone as flawed as Switzer or Billick, are not "the worst coach in sports".

The person making that comment is either a moron or referring in large part to the 10 years of Garrett.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What’s your sense of the Cowboys’ organization and management under Jerry Jones now that it’s been 25 years since they won the Super Bowl?

“The best ownership group in sports.
Lost me right there.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
One shitty season with injuries and the Mike Nolan hire.
True, but he made the necessary change and the indications are that we'll see returns right away.

Definitely not the worst coach in pro sports.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Because Garrett was involved in 1/3 of our drought.
Garrett was here for what seems like forever and yet only responsible for 1/3???

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Top Bottom