The Athletic: Cowboys conversation - Evaluating Year 1 of the Mike McCarthy era in Dallas

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Daboll was garbage up until this last season.

Surely he deserves the credit he is getting, but we dont know exactly how much of a part he played in Allen’s development. Its not like he is some offensive wizard.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
McCarthy obviously made a mistake hiring Nolan.
Yes, McCarthy is responsible for and approved everything Nolan did.

And he is almost certainly in a vacuum better than Garrett, but the net effect for 2020 was worse than had we just remained still because of the defensive failure. He's got to own it.

It was the all time crapfest we saw on the other side of the ball.
I think we want to get beyond merely fixing the team. We should be applying a championship philosophy on both offense and defense. McCarthy completely shat the bed on defense, we've established that.

On offense he kept the same OC and made some decisions based on analytics. Where's his signature contribution that advances it? I'm not convinced he did much to develop Rodgers as a player. It seems more like it was mainly Rodgers.

We've got a QB who's coachable, willing, physically able, and a natural leader. And he's been learning all on his own. Imagine if he had a coach and partner, his own Reid, Norv, Holmgren, Walsh, Shanahan (either one), McVay, or Landry.

We don't see that intimacy with Dak and the Cowboys coaches. Garrett pretended to do it with his BS coach-QB throwing competition after practice. Moore isn't the guy either.

Daboll worked Allen's mechanics, taught him how to manipulate defenses with his cadence. Allen is at the precipice of becoming an elite QB, and leap frogging over Dak.

Of course we need to improve the defense, but we also need to develop the offense into a consistent contender.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If you dont think the Dak led offense isnt a consistent contender when all he has done is win since he has been here then I dont know what you are watching.

The team has also gone from a run first team to a Dak led team as well so I dont know what more you want from him other to be named Rodgers, Brady, or Mahomes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If you dont think the Dak led offense isnt a consistent contender when all he has done is win since he has been here then I dont know what you are watching.

The team has also gone from a run first team to a Dak led team as well so I dont know what more you want from him other to be named Rodgers, Brady, or Mahomes.
You aren't a contender until you consistently win against other contenders. What Dak did statistically over a few games in comeback losses didn't matter. It was 1 win by a spinning onsides kick after an 8-8 season.

Allen is at the precipice of beating some really good teams in a deep playoff run.

Change the defensive philosophy, keep making the offense better.

Big Ben, Wilson, Brady, etc. never stopped developing, and they each had awesome coaches and guides.

With the team he has and a decent defensive philosophy Dak could become one of the best ever. It's not going to happen by himself.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And he is almost certainly in a vacuum better than Garrett, but the net effect for 2020 was worse than had we just remained still because of the defensive failure. He's got to own it.
What a crock of shit. If Garrett had still been here and we had been dealt the same injury hand, even without changing a thing scheme wise defensively, you know, I know, we ALL know that Garrett would have been lucky to have won more than a couple games.

Remember what happened when Romo was hurt and the rest of the team was basically untouched? And he still had the same defense? Yeah. Me too.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
With the team he has and a decent defensive philosophy Dak could become one of the best ever. It's not going to happen by himself.
Wow, really? I'm not a Dak hater, but he's not even elite compared to his peers so I can't imagine his being one of the best ever.

Top Bottom