The Athletic’s Top 100 Sports Movies

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Athletic Staff 3h ago

When you grow up a sports fan, transferring that fandom from the backyard Wiffle ball game to the big screen at the local theater is a natural transition. We fall in love with movies that reflect our life experiences. We see our best friends in “The Sandlot.” Or quote “Happy Gilmore” relentlessly in the dorms. It’s why one person can find a movie like “Field of Dreams” completely hokey while another turns to mush the moment Ray Kinsella’s dad pulls off his catcher’s mask and places it over his heart. We know what’s coming next.

It means our opinions of these movies vary wildly. Especially when you work at a media company with 400-plus employees who are all sports diehards. And opinionated. So in trying to determine the Top 100 Sports movies of all time, we decided to make the process as democratic as possible. That meant a lot of rules, processes and restrictions.

First, we asked everyone on staff to nominate their favorite sports movies. This list quickly got unwieldy. Within days, it was 300 movies deep. It included movies people desperately wanted on the ballot where the only sport was, say, guys in jeans playing beach volleyball. Even with extra time on our hands, we didn’t want people rating 500 movies. So we made some rules.

To be considered, a movie had to be released in theaters at some point. That removed some really good television-only sports movies. (We’re looking at you “Brian’s Song” and “61*”.) For documentaries to make the final ballot, the doc had to be released in theaters (no TV docs) and be at least nominated for an Oscar; or added to the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry; or make at least $1M at the box office; or be culturally significant. Finally, with a small panel of movie enthusiasts, we culled the list to make individual calls on borderline sports movies. Is “The Big Lebowski” really a sports movie? When things got tough, they went bowling. So we think it is. But there’s a good debate to be had about many others.

Next, we asked everyone to rate as many movies as they’ve seen on a scale of 1-100, with 100 being best. You could give Rocky a 100 as well as Space Jam, if you so pleased. And why wouldn’t you?

In all, more than 120 panelists from The Athletic voted. The ratings were averaged out and sorted into the Top 100 below. To qualify for the final list, a movie needed at least 10 ratings from panelists.

We hope it gives some entertainment inspiration for any extra spare time you might have. And it’s just the start. All week, we’re rolling out sports movie-themed stories. From a technical breakdown of Adam Sandler’s tackling skills in “The Waterboy” to an oral history of the best dog basketball movie ever made. It’s going to be fun. We hope you enjoy.

Grab your popcorn. Here goes.

1. Rocky (1976)
Average rating: 91.04

The cartoonish fight scenes don’t come close to resembling an actual boxing match, but the movie did wonderfully capture the essence of the characters and promotional hype that make boxing so unique. In many ways, “Rocky” laid out the formula for underdog sports movies, grabbing an Oscar for Best Picture.
– Mike Coppinger, boxing insider

2. Raging Bull (1980)
Average rating: 90.52

People thought it was crazy to do a boxing movie after another one won the Oscar for Best Picture four years earlier, as if there was nothing new to bring to the table. But “Raging Bull” is a rare instance of a director (Martin Scorsese), cinematographer (Michael Chapman) and actors (Robert de Niro, Joe Pesci) all at the absolute peak of their careers. It’s one of the films I revisit most often, and I am blown away by something new with each viewing. The choice to make the film in black-and-white is the definitive stroke of genius by Scorsese. It emphasizes the grit and beauty of the sport more than ever before, and “Raging Bull” holds up as a true masterpiece 40 years later.
– Kent Garrison, NFL Audio, Mad About Movies Podcast

3. Hoop Dreams (1994)
Average rating: 89.83

“Hoops Dreams” is the best sports movie ever, and ranks among the great documentaries of any genre. Following two basketball prodigies through high school is just the tip of the iceberg; the real genius is how it brilliantly chronicles issues of race, class and education in a poor Chicago neighborhood.
– John Hollinger, senior NBA columnist

4. Bull Durham (1998)
Average rating: 89.53

“Bull Durham” is among the most quotable films ever written. Just this from Annie Savoy, played by Susan Sarandon, should make you want to fire it up right now: “I believe in the church of baseball. I’ve tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I’ve worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn’t work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me.”
– Arpon Basu, Montreal editor-in-chief

5. Miracle (2004)
Average rating: 89.48

If sports movies have a weakness, it’s that they typically tell an unimaginable story. The story of the 1980 United States men’s hockey team was unimaginable. It also actually happened. Kurt Russell is brilliant as Herb Brooks and the movie does a really good job of accurately telling one of the greatest stories in sports history. One of Brooks’ final acts before his 2003 death was helping with this project. His fingerprints add to the credibility.
– Josh Yohe, Penguins beat writer

6. The Big Lebowski (1998)
Average rating: 89.45

The Coen Brothers were coming off “Fargo,” their visceral and darkly comedic breakout that became a true Oscar contender. So, of course, their next film was about three guys in 1992 Los Angeles who live to bowl. Nobody really got it at the time, including me. But The Dude, Walter and Donnie have aged like fine wine, delivering some of the most quotable lines in a comedy in the past 25 years. And if people deny it’s a “sports movie,” just remember the scene where The Dude and Walter botch the ransom money handoff and all Walter can think to say is … “Fuck it, Dude, let’s go bowling.”
– Garrison

7. Breaking Away (1979)
Average rating: 89.32

Writer Steve Tesich’s 1979 love-letter to Bloomington, Ind., and the Little 500 race is one of the great coming-of-age movies of its era. Gorgeously filmed with terrific performances, it’s impossible to watch the film and not want to pick up a bicycle.
– Richard Deitsch, senior writer

8. (tied) O.J.: Made in America (2016)
Average rating: 89.28

Let’s face it: The O.J. Simpson trial is the definitive sports story of our generation. And it deserved to be told in a documentary that was as detailed and well-researched as “O.J.: Made in America.” The grisly details of the double-murder in Brentwood had never been shown to the American public like this before, and I was shocked at some of the reveals in the film, from the crime scene photographs to the racist rant caught on tape. The entire production was nothing short of mesmerizing. With a total runtime of 7 hours, 47 minutes, it’s the longest film to ever win an Oscar (it took home Best Documentary Feature for 2016). But honestly, I wish it was 77 hours or more.
– Garrison

8. (tied) When We Were Kings (1996)
Average rating: 89.28

Arguably the greatest sports documentary of all time, the footage and access is captivating as the film takes you behind the scenes of Muhammad Ali’s journey to become two-time heavyweight champion vs. George Foreman and the following he cultivated in Zaire along the way, showing the kind of icon “The Greatest” was.
– Coppinger

10. Major League (1989)
Average rating: 89.24

My favorite baseball movie of all-time, “Major League” is a perfect blend of comedy and sports action, with a fantastic Randy Newman song “Burn On” leading off. You gotta have a great score to be a great sports movie, this one was done by James Newton Howard. Jake Taylor’s stalking scenes haven’t aged well, but otherwise, it still plays. Teams are put together to lose all the time now, and Rachel Phelps might as well be Jeffrey Loria.

Five hundred viewings later, I still get goosebumps watching the one-game playoff with the Yankees and hey, that’s where I first learned about Babe Ruth’s called shot. A key to this movie’s success is the actors actually seem like ballplayers and coaches. The next time you watch, notice how they don’t cut away from Charlie Sheen when he pitches. The dialogue is top-notch, never corny and it has the most repeatable lines of any sports movie. Try watching any old baseball game and not saying, “Just a bit outside. Tried the corner and missed,” in your Bob Uecker voice. Lines like, “We got uniforms and everything, it’s pretty great.” “This guy here is dead.” “Cross him off then.” “I say fuck you Jobu, I do this myself,” are etched into my brain forever.

Let us never mention the sequels.
– Jon Greenberg, Chicago editor-in-chief

11. The Sandlot (1993)
Average rating: 88.33

This is one of the few movies that legitimately takes me back to when baseball was more important to my group of friends than God and family. I can really relate to meeting the new kid, Smalls, and the mischief of trying to recover the ball from Beast. I felt like I was living out this plot.
– Jeremy Rutherford, Blues beat writer

12. Free Solo (2018)
Average rating: 88.19

I can’t say I’m a huge rock climbing fan. Or a fan of anything that reminds me that I need to get outside more. But we watched “Free Solo” with the family before a summer trip to Yosemite and were blown away. It’s an account of Alex Honnold’s attempt to become the first to free solo climb El Capitan and it’s both parts terrifying and inspirational. This movie stays with you. Just a few weeks after viewing, we found ourselves at the base of El Capitan staring directly up at its 3,000-foot face and realizing just how incredible this human achievement by Honnold truly was.
– Craig Custance, NHL-U.S. editor-in-chief

13. Caddyshack (1980)
Average rating: 87.94

You don’t even have to love golf to appreciate this country-club satire. It’s also ageless. So many of the film’s best lines are still instantly identifiable 40 years later — most of them from Bill Murray’s inspired performance as greenskeeper Carl Spackler (“It’s in the hole!”) and chronic scene-stealer Rodney Dangerfield.
– Stewart Mandel, college football editor-in-chief

14. The Hustler (1961)
Average rating: 87.56

I’m stunned you can’t find this movie on more great sports movies list. (Believe me, I’ve checked.) Maybe people don’t consider pool a sport. Maybe it’s because people don’t like a story where even the winners act like losers. Or maybe people have just forgotten it? But how can you not remember a film with so many memorable performances? As “Fast” Eddie Felson, Paul Newman becomes Paul Newman™, Jackie Gleason shatters his “The Honeymooners” persona, Piper Laurie is heartbreaking and the way George C. Scott yells, “You owe me MONEY!” has been burned into my brain since I first saw this film. It’s an American tragedy where love is lost, trust is broken and even the best hustler gets hustled. And it all starts with the first thrust of a pool cue.
– Rob Peterson, NBA editor

15. Hoosiers (1986)
Average rating: 87.35

Coach Norman Dale (Gene Hackman) measuring the height of the basket at Butler Fieldhouse to repeat the importance of fundamentals he stressed to his undermanned 1950s high school team throughout a season packed with inspiring speeches and teamwork makes this go-to viewing for anyone before (or after) their 18th birthday.
– Lance Pugmire, boxing senior writer

16. Slap Shot (1977)
Average rating: 87.34

A true oldie but goodie, “Slap Shot” is a cult classic from the opening interview with the French-Canadian goalie to Paul Newman’s classic “They brought their fucking toys with them” lament. No movie has ever featured three nerd-glasses-wearing brothers as violent as the Hanson Brothers; that trio alone merits this score.
– Hollinger

17. Senna (2010)
Average rating: 87.18

I’ve never once watched a single Formula 1 race. I couldn’t tell you the first thing about the sport, and I certainly hadn’t heard of Ayrton Senna before. But Asif Kapadia’s 2010 documentary on the Brazilian icon is both haunting and brilliant, a story of triumph and heartbreak so masterfully woven together that it even made the cynical 20-something version of me bawl my eyes out.
– Shaheen Al-Shatti, senior MMA writer

18. Icarus (2017)
Average rating: 86.90

Bryan Fogel’s thrilling 2017 Oscar-winning documentary is a larger story within a smaller one. Upon the director exploring the impact of performance-enhancing drugs to prepare for an amateur cycling race, his advisor, Moscow anti-doping lab head Grigory Rodchenkov, provides the evidence for the state-sponsored scheme Russia undertook for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. A mesmerizing watch.
– Deitsch

19. The Bad News Bears (1976)
Average rating: 86.70

The original “The Bad News Bears” is the best baseball movie ever made. And more. It’s an often-hilarious yet unflinching look at hyper-competitive parents, a movie that also touches on other cultural issues from feminism to immigration. Great script for a perfect ensemble cast led by Walter Matthau at his hangdog best as chain-smoking alcoholic Morris Buttermaker, ex-minor league pitcher hired to coach misfit 12-year-olds unwanted by other teams in their suburban Los Angeles Little League. He keeps a cooler of booze in the dugout and mixes bourbon in his beer before batting practice. Thankfully, it was made in 1976, because it wouldn’t get made today. After his team gets trounced, Buttermaker brings in two ringers, curveball-tossing Amanda Whurlitzer (Tatum O’Neal) and motorcycle-riding, cig-smoking rebel Kelly Leak (Jackie Earle Haley), not just the toughest kid in the ‘hood but the best athlete. The Bears evolve into a scrappy bunch that gives the Yankees all they can handle in the league championship game. The movie has all the feels but none of the schmaltz or artificial emotionalism of typical baseball movies.
– David O’Brien, Atlanta Braves beat writer

20. A League of Their Own (1992)
Average rating: 86.67

One life experience I can recommend is dressing up as Jimmy Dugan for a friend’s Halloween party and overcommitting to the bit, flask-wise. The reservoir of quotable lines is bottomless in any state of mind and your friends will forever get to speculate about which one of you will be “Dugan” the next time you’re all together. Avoid the clap.
– Bo Wulf, Philadelphia Eagles beat writer

21. Field of Dreams (1989)
Average rating: 86.35

No quote turns stoic sports fans into mushy messes quite like the ending of “Field of Dreams.” From the moment Ray Kinsella offers, “Dad … you wanna have a catch?”, the movie flips from kitschy and interesting to iconic and heavenly. It’s an inspiring movie where dreams truly come true.
– Scott Dochterman, Iowa football writer

22. Sugar (2008)
Average rating: 86.29

If escapism is your number one goal when it comes to watching a sports movie, you may not love “Sugar.” But education is another form of entertainment, and this movie by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (from “Half Nelson” and “Captain Marvel”) is a beautifully done — realistic — view of what it’s like for a young Dominican player to come to this country and try to navigate his way through the minor leagues to the show.
– Eno Sarris, baseball analytics writer

23. White Men Can’t Jump (1992)
Average rating: 85.41

The biggest — and potentially fatal — flaw of the movie is that Wesley Snipes, who’s supposed to be a star, isn’t actually all that good at basketball. It’s noticeable, especially opposite Woody Harrelson, who clearly has some game. What not only saves the movie, but makes it a success, and legitimate classic, is the charisma of Snipes as “Sidney” and Harrelson as “Billy Hoyle.” Their chemistry is first-rate. The basketball itself matters less.
– Jonas Siegel, Maple Leafs reporter

24. The Wrestler (2008)
Average rating: 85.23

So on-point about the real world of so-called “fake” wrestling, this movie unnerved those in the industry. Mickey Rourke’s lead performance leaves you thinking of almost any pro wrestler from the 1980s and wondering what happened to that guy. You can’t turn this movie off — even when you want to look away.
– Rob Rossi, Pittsburgh Penguins writer

25. Moneyball (2011)
Average rating: 84.68

The genius of “Moneyball” is the way it merges its highly technical subject matter (front-office maneuvering, baseball analytics) with the most basic storytelling tropes. The brains were baked in; the heart and the entertainment value comes from the structure and execution. On one level it’s a classic underdog story, with Brad Pitt’s lone visionary bucking against conventional wisdom in a deeply unfair system. At another, it’s a buddy movie, with Jonah Hill’s fish-out-of-water contrasting brilliantly with Pitt’s almost casual arrogance.

It’s a numbers story, and I admit that I was predisposed to like it for that reason alone. I love it because it’s all so well done, and I’m more than happy to trade some narrative smoothing for the beautiful simplicity of “Adapt or die.”
– Jonathan Willis, Edmonton staff writer

26. Remember the Titans (2000)
Average rating: 84.48

First, it has the best actor of all time, Denzel Washington, playing the lead — and playing it perfectly. The man not only makes you believe he’s a real football coach, but he has you ready to run through a brick wall for him. But there is significance beyond the theatrics. This film, loosely based on true events, depicts a Virginia high school football team’s fight for inclusion and equality, battles from the early ’70s that so many still are fighting today.
– Darnell Mayberry, Chicago Bulls beat writer

27. Ford v Ferrari (2019)
Average rating: 84.46

Go. See. This. Movie. If you haven’t seen it yet … then it should be the next thing you do after reading this. I gave it a 100. Not only did it score a Best Picture nomination, but the acting, action and storytelling were superb. I got teary-eyed when Ken Miles (played by Christian Bale) was explaining “The Perfect Lap” to his son while they were sitting on the tarmac at LAX, staring at the Southern California sunset.
– Josh Cooper, Los Angeles editor

28. Creed (2015)
Average rating: 84.39

This didn’t just revive the Rocky universe. It’s one of the two best films in the series. Michael B. Jordan’s Adonis Johnson/Creed is an all-time performance in a sports movie. Jordan and Tessa Thompson’s Bianca relationship, and the Philadelphia-specific details, are great. The fight with Leo “The Lion” Sporino, which is one long tracking shot, is perfect. The entrances when Adonis fights “Pretty” Ricky Conlan at Goodison Park (because Sly Stallone is a huge Everton supporter) are perfect. I’m here for at least three more Creed movies, and a spinoff with Viktor Drago from Creed II as well.
– Corey Masisak, New Jersey Devils beat writer

29. Friday Night Lights (2004)
Average rating: 84.24

Between the book and the series, the movie sometimes gets the short end of the stick. That’s unfortunate, because there may not be a purer sports film out there, emotionally speaking. From Billingsley’s battles with his dad to Boobie’s busted knee, the rawness of these high schoolers dealing with unfathomable pressure is something else. How could you not get chills listening to Coach Gaines’ “perfect” speech, or hearing Ivory Christian challenge his teammates? Let’s not forget the music, which has since carved out a niche of its own in sports lore.
– Matt Fortuna, national college football writer

30. (tied) The Karate Kid (1984)
Average rating: 84.06

The best movie ever made (don’t @ me), “The Karate Kid” had it all: the characters (Miyagi, Daniel-san, Johnny, Kreese); the sayings (wax on, wax off, get him a body bag, sweep the leg), the dramatic finish (crane kick) all intertwined with the most underappreciated part of the film – the unique and heartwarming relationship between two very “different but same” individuals who filled a void in each other’s life.
– Mark Kaboly, Steelers beat writer

30. (tied) The Natural (1984)
Average rating: 84.06

I’m one of those annoying “The book was better” nerds and yes, Bernard Malamud’s book is better than the Barry Levinson-Robert Redford movie. (This goes double for “Shoeless Joe” over “Field of Dreams.”) In the book, Roy Hobbs is a darker, more textured character than the quiet, mysterious ballplayer a late 40s Redford plays in the movie. The book’s dark ending wouldn’t make sense on the big screen, so the more cinematic movie ending fits better.

One of the strengths of this movie is the Randy Newman score, complete with the haunting hero’s theme, which is perfectly attuned to the bildungsroman tale. This was released in an era of gauzy sports flicks. In a five-year span between 1984-89, “The Natural,” “Hoosiers” and “Field of Dreams” all came out. Hollywood was banking on sports nostalgia and it paid off. Playing catch with dad, five passes before you shoot. All that crap.
– Greenberg

32. Dear Basketball (2017)
Average rating: 84.0

People were shocked when Kobe Bryant walked on stage to accept an Academy Award for Best Animated Short for 2017. He had retired less than a year earlier, and now he’s accepting an Oscar. The beautiful short, animated in pencil and watercolors and flawlessly narrated by Bryant, captured his love for the game he had dedicated his entire life to. I guess no one thought Kobe had that creative spark in him, and it opened an exciting new avenue post-retirement. Following his death in 2020, the film went viral on social media, and I shed a tear watching it again as it took on an even deeper meaning.
– Garrison

33. Rocky II (1979)
Average rating: 83.10

“Rocky II,” the first of the series to be directed by Sylvester Stallone, has some rather profound layers to it. The culture of fame and sudden wealth, how it can chew you up and spit you out in an instant, being one of the more significant ones. Also, Rocky wins in this one.
– Basu

34. The Boxer (1997)
Average rating: 82.33

With the world’s finest actor in the title role, this is the stripped-down story of a fighter returning to his Belfast neighborhood after years in jail. Danny Flynn wants to resume boxing; the IRA has other ideas. Daniel Day-Lewis prepared for two years for the fight scenes. It shows. Bonus — no music video masquerading as a training montage.
– Scott Cruickshank, Flames beat writer

35. Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Average rating: 82.15

Clint Eastwood’s Oscar-winning pearl is my favorite boxing movie. It so perfectly captures the jaded mannerisms of a trainer (Best Director, Eastwood) and the solitary motivations that burnish a champion fighter (Best Actress, Hilary Swank). When her nickname is translated, the audience can’t help but let its guard down too.
– Pugmire

36. The Color of Money (1986)
Average rating: 82.05

There are better billiards movies. There are better ones starring Paul Newman as “Fast” Eddie Felson. But seeing Newman revisit his iconic role from “The Hustler” is damn enjoyable. And his character being fully formed from that movie adds weight to this sort-of-sequel. Plus, there just aren’t that many billiards movies anymore. We need more billiards movies.
– Rossi

37. Win Win (2011)
Average rating: 82.0

First of all, this is a really good movie with some big-time performances by Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan and Alex Shaffer. But “Win Win” is a winner in my book because it’s set in my hometown of New Providence, N.J. (Go Pioneers!) and was written and directed by one of NP’s finest, Tom McCarthy.
– Mitch Light, Nashville and Memphis managing editor

38. Fighting with My Family (2019)
Average rating: 81.82

Based on a true story about WWE wrestler Paige, the plot has its share of clichés, but a strong supporting cast including Lena Headey, Nick Frost and Vince Vaughn makes it shine. Every character brings something to the table. A fun film about dreams and family.
– Chris Vannini, national college football reporter

39. Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Average rating: 81.65

The film is set in the brutally competitive world of tournament chess and explores the quandary for parents who discover their child is exceptionally talented. How best to maximize the gift? Are you living vicariously through them? If they’re simply not consumed with winning, despite high capabilities, is that wasted potential? Are you, quite frankly, screwing up your kid? Even without the little league, this might be the greatest film ever made about little league parents.
– Andy Kamenetzky, Los Angeles writer and podcast host

40. Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
Average rating: 81.57

It’s a baseball movie, but it’s not. It’s a sad movie, but it’s not. It’s about relationships — in this case, teammates — and taking the time to see someone others don’t know is there. This is one that makes grown men swallow the lump in the throat. It feels like “Brian’s Song,” but goes its own way.
– Brendan Quinn, college basketball and golf senior writer

41. I, Tonya (2017)
Average rating: 81.47

Honestly, Allison Janney’s tour-de-force performance in this movie as the unyielding, harsh and domineering stage mom to Tonya Harding is alone worth the recognition (it also earned her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress). But the entire cast was superb in its portrayal of one of the most stunning sports scandals in modern history. In trying to reconcile wildly differing versions of the truth, the movie veers between drama and comedy, with a fair bit of camp in between.

I loved this movie because I’ve always found Harding to be one of the most fascinating sports figures of my childhood. Despite being implicated in a horrific attack on her competitor, the plucky firebrand managed to win over legions of fans who admired her verve and moxie. In a sport where elegance, grace and poise are revered, Harding was a true iconoclast — powerful, athletic, brash and unapologetic; she made me a fan of figure skating. Margot Robbie captured the titular character perfectly, and the movie was an excellent reminder of why Harding was both so polarizing and captivating all at once.
– Katie Strang, senior investigations and enterprise writer

42. Jerry Maguire (1996)
Average rating: 81.45

It’s personal. I used to want to be a sports agent, and “Jerry Maguire” romanticized that lifestyle better than any other film. It also hit on so many powerful themes: trust, loyalty, love, friendship, flaws, failures, successes and fresh starts. And from “Show me the money” to “You had me at hello,” it contained countless memorable quotes. Call it corny. I’ll always call it a classic.
– Mayberry

43. The Fighter (2010)
Average rating: 81.44

There are a lot of boxing movies on our list. Creating real world action is a bit easier in boxing movies and the energy for intimate narratives just hits harder. Well, “The Fighter” reaches all those intimate notes and then some. Mark Wahlberg’s underrated portrayal of Micky Ward is somber and heartfelt, but Christian Bale electrifies as his off-kilter brother whose battles with demons give the film its emotional heft. Amy Adams and Melissa Leo (who won an Oscar for her portrayal as a tough-as-glass-shards mom) also showcase praiseworthy performances.
– Khalid Salaam, national NBA editor

44. The Damned United (2009)
Average rating: 81.14

Imagine a headstrong Air Raid coach taking over a college football program that loves to run the ball. That was Brian Clough at Leeds United. The Damned United focuses on Clough’s tumultuous tenure, which lasted only 44 days. Michael Sheen is a tour de force, portraying an arrogant, stubborn Clough hellbent on making a championship side play his way. It didn’t work, but the movie did as a window into life at the top of English football in the mid-’70s.
– Masisak

45. North Dallas Forty (1979)
Average rating: 80.57

I was 9 or 10 when I first saw “North Dallas Forty” with my dad. A lot of the film’s message — that players are disposable parts in a huge machine that spits out money — was over my head at that point but I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at a pro team. From inside the huddle to the locker room to the parties to the “Breakfast of Champions” — a Budweiser and pain pills. Nick Nolte and Mac Davis, as the broken-down receiver and his quarterback, were great carrying the movie through some uneven parts. It was funny — my dad quoted Davis for weeks — and had heart, and even in later viewings I always enjoyed the non-storybook ending.
– Vic Tafur, Las Vegas Raiders beat writer

46. The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings (1976)
Average rating: 80.54

In the ’80s, there were a couple of movies that seemed to be on HBO all the time, classics like “Mr. Mom” and “Midnight Madness,” but the baseball movie that would be on — and I’d watch — was this one. Before he was Lando Calrissian, Billy Dee Williams was Bingo Long (although, in my young head he was Lando first and then I found Bingo Long), but both shared the charisma that Williams oozed. Williams was a perfect fit for a Satchel Paige-like character, while Darth Vader (James Earl Jones) is a Josh Gibson-type and the heart of the film. Much like its subject matter, this film doesn’t get the attention that some of its more mainstream counterparts receive, but its place among baseball movies shouldn’t be forgotten.
– C. Trent Rosecrans, senior MLB writer

47. Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)
Average rating: 80.33

This is the spiritual cousin of “Dazed and Confused,” so if you want a movie with a big game at the end, this ain’t it. But if you want to watch Finn and Willoughby and Jake and Roper and Plummer and the rest of a 1980 college baseball team go to parties, meet girls and have a great time, this movie is so damned good.
– Hugh Kellenberger, college basketball executive editor

48. He Got Game (1998)
Average rating: 80.24

Spike Lee. Denzel. Public Enemy. Jim Brown. Ray Allen holding his own. What more do you need, other than a better choice for an accompanying soundtrack for a movie about the seedy underbelly of the recruiting game? Allen gives a raw and unflinching depiction of a young star in the crosshairs of big-time college athletics, money-hungry agents and all of the pitfalls that come with overwhelming talent. Denzel Washington is remarkable as Jake Shuttlesworth, and you can feel Lee preaching from the director’s chair throughout.
– Jon Krawczynski, senior writer

49. Foxcatcher (2014)
Average rating: 80.21

“Foxcatcher” is one of those special movies where there is a mood of tension right from the start. There’s the hunched-over mannerisms of Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo, so accurately portraying Olympic wrestlers with those gigantic rounded backs and T-Rex arms. Steve Carrell turns in a painful and haunting performance as “John DuPont of the DuPont Family” that would seem absurd if the whole thing wasn’t based on a true story. It’s simply a great drama that happens to center on sports.
– Jared Weiss, Celtics writer and Daily Ding host

50. Uncut Gems (2019)
Average rating: 80.16

There’s so much to like about “Uncut Gems,” from the casting (Kevin Garnett’s very good!) to the constant background noise that really makes you feel the stress of a sports bettor walking an all-time tightrope (or at least what I imagine that would be like). It’s so immersive that the insanity of betting opening-tip props as part of already-longshot parlays manages to feel normal. In a time of no sports, watching this movie is a hell of a way to get the adrenaline pumping.
– Max Bultman, Red Wings beat writer

51. Rounders (1998)
Average rating: 80.10

I have “Rounders” writers Brian Koppelman and David Levien to thank for my favorite memories at Michigan State. After this movie came out, we started a Wednesday night poker game that quickly became required every week. We’d get a few $5 pizzas from the student union, pick up a 30-pack of Old Milwaukee’s Best Light for $9.99 (!) from Big Ten Party Store and play hold-em until we were broke (well, at least some of us were). The conversation was just a series of “Rounders” quotes in horrible Teddy KGB impressions. I’m paying you with your own money. Check, check, check. Pay that man his money.

I lost enough in that weekly game that walking back into apartment 110 in Waters Edge would be like Buckner walking back into Shea, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
– Custance

52. The Longest Yard (1974)
Average rating: 80.06

Like many sports movies from the ’70, “The Longest Yard” has many scenes that haven’t aged well. Director Robert Aldrich, who made some of the most testosterone-fueled movies in history, such as “Kiss Me Deadly” and “The Dirty Dozen,” doesn’t skimp on it here either as underdog cons led by Burt Reynolds go up against a well-oiled, semi-pro team made up of prison guards. The football scenes work as real NFLers Joe Kapp and Ray Nitschke give the action some semblance of authenticity. It doesn’t hurt that Reynolds, who played football at Florida State, aces the part of the disgraced, game-throwing QB Paul Crewe.
– Peterson

53. Eight Men Out (1988)
Average rating: 79.75

This movie is historically inaccurate but highly entertaining. It has some of the best baseball action seen on the big screen. The costumes are fantastic. The cast is impressive, and having a young John Cusack play the homely Buck Weaver is a major aesthetic improvement for the character.
– Tracy Greer, MLB staff editor

54. Kingpin (1996)
Average rating: 79.38

Gross-out comedy of the highest order. Scenes like Roy Munson’s cow-milking mishap, Ishmael’s introduction to dental floss and Roy’s landlord’s post-coital bliss could make “Pink Flamingos”-era John Waters blush. Plus, Bill Murray dripping sleaze and self-satisfaction as Big Ern McCracken both steals the show and somehow anticipates professional bowling’s recent turn toward kitsch and showmanship. If you’re not up on “Kingpin,” you’ve Munsoned your life.
– Rafe Bartholomew, boxing writer

55. Happy Gilmore (1996)
Average rating: 79.33

Who among us hasn’t tried hitting a golf ball after a running start? Adam Sandler defined the ’90s with his slew of juvenile comedies and “Happy Gilmore” is at the top of the list. The one-liners are too many to count and he got beat up by Bob Barker. ‘Nuff said.
– Jason Lloyd, Cleveland editor-in-chief

56. Murderball (2005)
Average rating: 79.22

Need some extra motivation? Watch this 2005 documentary about the U.S. and Canada Paralympic wheelchair rugby teams. It has everything — drama, humor, sadness and triumph — and shows just how badass we all can be when we start getting after it.
– Evan Parker, general manager

57. Warrior (2011)
Average rating: 79.06

The bar is set awfully low for MMA flicks. However, with fantastic acting, credible fight scenes and a story that packs a punch, “Warrior” is impressive, regardless of genre. For fight fans specifically, the attention to the details of this fictional MMA world will be appreciated.
– Dann Stupp, MMA managing editor

58. Cinderella Man (2005)
Average rating: 79.02

Russell Crowe did a great job portraying one of boxing’s most unlikely heavyweight champions, James J. Braddock. More than a sports movie, “Cinderella Man” is a period piece that nicely depicts the struggles of the Great Depression and Braddock’s rise as the hero for the working man.
– Coppinger

59. The Hurricane (1999)
Average rating: 78.52

Bob Dylan’s 1975 poetic anthem, “Hurricane,” about the racially motivated triple-murder conviction of middleweight contender Rubin “Hurricane” Carter is followed brilliantly on screen by Denzel Washington’s convincing portrayal in this 1999 film that won him a Golden Globe award for Best Actor and should’ve earned him an Oscar.
– Pugmire

60. The Mighty Ducks (1992)
Average rating: 78.50

Maybe it’s not the best movie in the series, but I love an origin story. These Ducks are the only true underdogs of the series, and these young Ducks are probably the funniest team of the series. Also, the Ducks uniforms here are probably my favorite hockey uniform, period.
– Jason Lee, analytics manager

61. Rush (2013)
Average rating: 78.46

This movie was the entry point for my journey as a Formula 1 fan. It chronicles the rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt in the early-to-mid 1970s. Daniel Bruhl’s portrayal of Lauda is incredible, Chris Hemsworth’s Hunt is the best performance of his career and Hans Zimmer’s score is epic at the right times. Watch this, follow it up with Netflix’s “Formula 1: Drive to Survive” documentary series, and you’ll be waking up early on Sunday mornings to see if young guns Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc can dethrone Lewis Hamilton as world champion when the 2020 season starts.
– Masisak

62. Rocky III (1982)
Average rating: 78.36

I have no quarrel with those who prefer the superior filmcraft of earlier “Rocky” films. But for me, the franchise isn’t about quality. It’s about indulgence, and “Rocky III” is where the series finds its voice: juiced to the gills and cheesier-than-Kraft-Singles. It’s not the acting or mise-en-scène that endures, but the Hulk Hogan and Mr. T cameos and Rocky and Apollo bro-hugging on the beach.
– Bartholomew

63. Prefontaine (1997)
Average rating: 78.32

The movie itself is … OK. What makes it work is the lore of a character like Steve Prefontaine. As years go by, he turns more and more into a fable. Paul Bunyan running the 5,000. The film is bolstered by nimbly weaving in archive footage, but is anchored by R. Lee Ermey’s portrayal of legendary Oregon coach Bill Bowerman.
– Quinn

64. Vision Quest (1985)
Average rating: 78.13

I officially learned I was a sportswriter in the ninth grade in my one year as a high school wrestler. “Vision Quest,” as you would imagine, was required viewing for all high school wrestlers. And, while you don’t have to watch it 50 times like I did, you ought to watch it once. It’s got a little bit of everything, and we’ve all got a Shute in our lives somewhere.
– Josh Kendall, South Carolina beat writer

65. Rocky IV (1985)
Average rating: 78.01

Nov. 27, 1985, five days after my 10th birthday, my dad and I went to Tower Mall in Portsmouth, Va., and saw “Rocky IV” on opening night. The place was packed, because as all good Americans in 1985, we were rooting for Rocky to beat the crap out of the Russian. If you haven’t seen this movie — first of all, you’re a communist sympathizer — then consider this a spoiler warning: early in the movie, Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) is beating up Apollo Creed (Sir Carl Weathers) and there’s a flash to Rocky, who is holding the towel, in-between rounds. Apollo tells him not to stop the fight, but still, Rocky can see where this is going. Drago throws a vicious punch and connects. You see it connect, then you see the towel drop. Black. I’m 10, I know what happened. A hush in the theater, everyone knows exactly what happened — except one woman. The next thing you see is a setting at a funeral. That one woman in the theater screams “Oh my God! He’s dead!” The theater erupts in laughter. To this day, I still laugh at that part. (Sorry, Sir Weathers.) The rest of the movie has become a Cold War cliché, complete with James Brown singing, Rocky losing and then winning and delivering the cornball speech at the end, “… if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!” It’s so corny, but such a highlight of mid-’80s Cold War culture. And it’s also why we won — U-S-A!
– Rosecrans

66. Chariots of Fire (1981)
Average rating: 77.81

Two sprinters, each running for a cause greater than their own. The 1981 Oscar winner for Best Picture is a brilliant examination of the journeys of Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell, both of whom won gold and glory for the British Olympic team (Liddell was a Scot) at the 1924 Olympics in Paris.
– Deitsch

67. Big Fan (2009)
Average rating: 77.67

Patton Oswalt is brilliant in this dark comedy about an obsessive New York Giants fan. The parking attendant and frequent sports-radio caller doesn’t care that the rest of the world probably views him as a loser. He sees his fanaticism and devotion as a source of purpose and dignity in an oddly engrossing little tale.
– Stupp

68. Dogtown and Z-Boys (2001)
Average rating: 77.62

“Dogtown and Z-Boys” lives in the magical moment when talented, troubled kids from a down-and-out neighborhood — in this case, the Dogtown area of Venice, Calif. — discover and embrace reasons to be passionate about something. This Stacy Peralta-directed documentary is more than the story about skateboarding’s emergence in America.
– Josh Gross, MMA senior writer

69. Creed II (2018)
Average rating: 77.38

Sports movies are all about the goosebump moments. The pimples on the back of my neck have never been raised higher than when Rocky walks into his restaurant and sees Drago seated at a table near the wall. For a kid raised on the “Rocky” movies, the nostalgia packed more punch than a Balboa left cross. Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson shine, but seeing Rocky and Drago exchange icy glares for the first time since Balboa singlehandedly ended the Cold War in “Rocky IV” was even more than I could have hoped for going in.
– Krawczynski

70. Seabiscuit (2003)
Average rating: 77.35

I gave “Seabiscuit” a high-ish score of 89 – in part because it scored a Best Picture nomination but also in part because of the tremendous performances from Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper. While I didn’t think the film was as good as the book by Laura Hillenbrand, it still captured my imagination and transported me to a time when horse racing was one of the biggest sports in the United States.
– Cooper

71. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)
Average rating: 77.31

I actually saw “Dodgeball” in the theater twice, it was that funny. Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller are the headliners, but the most memorable performances came from a couple of smaller roles — Jason Bateman as a dodgeball color analyst (“Bold move, Cotton”) and Lance Armstrong as, well, himself (pre-doping scandal).
– Mandel

72. Invictus (2009)
Average rating: 77.24

It’s a rebuttal to the “Stick to sports!” goons. “Invictus” shows how sports and politics are often intertwined and that grace and forgiveness are way better than payback. It’s a typical underdog-wins-the-title story, but this squad, South Africa’s rugby team, pulls a nation together along the way. Oh, and Morgan Freeman is Nelson Mandela.
– Matt Barrows, 49ers beat writer

73. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Average rating: 76.41

It mocked NASCAR culture at its peak, but it did so with such affection that it’s loved by racing fans and haters alike. Did Will Ferrell and Adam McKay make better movies? Sure. But it’s a shame this doesn’t top our list because if you ain’t first, well …
– Michael Sanserino, Pittsburgh managing editor

74. Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
Average rating: 76.36

It came at a perfect time, post-1999 World Cup, to throw fuel on the fires of total soccer obsession. Add in Jess’ journey to find her own identity and the extreme subtextual queerness between her and Jules, and you get a perfect, formative movie for a generation.
– Meg Linehan, USWNT and NWSL staff writer

75. The Endless Summer (1966)
Average rating: 75.91

More of a travelogue/buddy flick than an actual sports film, but “The Endless Summer” beautifully explains surf culture to a generation of people who were only familiar with it through Frankie & Annette movies, or the dulcet sounds of Jan & Dean and The Beach Boys.
– Eric Duhatschek, senior NHL columnist

76. Rudy (1993)
Average rating: 75.83

Some people think “Rudy” is too corny; I think it’s near-perfection. The story of a scrawny walk-on who finally gets his shot would not have resonated like it did if it involved any school other than Notre Dame, which is built on heroes and mythology. The final act is as powerful and emotional as sports dramas get.
– Mandel

77. McFarland, USA (2015)
Average rating: 75.23

This is a Disney film, but director Niki Caro rarely lets this based-on-a-true-story movie dip too far into schmaltz. Sports-movie-Hall of Famer Kevin Costner builds a high school cross country team made of poor kids of migrant farm-working families. But because of the work the runners put in — at school and in the fields — the team’s success at the end feels earned instead of something preordained by Hollywood. Two scenes stand out: one where Costner works the fields to get an idea of why some of the kids miss practice and he barely makes it through the day without collapsing; and the other being the team’s trip to see the ocean for the first time, which is — (sorry, is it getting a little dusty in here?).
– Peterson

78. Pumping Iron (1977)
Average rating: 75.12

The world of competitive bodybuilding was all but in the dark until the 1977 documentary “Pumping Iron” shed light on this strangely fascinating sport. The fly-on-the-wall style truly gives us a feeling of seeing something rarely seen by the public. Centering on the 1975 IFBB Mr. Universe and 1975 Mr. Olympia competitions and the competitive rivalry between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno, the personalities of these larger-than-life athletes really shine through. In fact, it made both men household names, with Schwarzenegger essentially becoming the biggest action movie star of all time (and eventually the governor of California) following its release.
– Garrison

79. Race (2016)
Average rating: 75.0

Perhaps it’s the “Chariots of Fire” influence, but I’m a pushover for any movie about running. The attention to detail in this 2016 biopic about Jesse Owens was meticulous, most notably the high drama at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Jason Sudeikis plays Larry Snyder, Owens’ college coach. One caveat: I kept envisioning Sudeikis in his role as Joe Biden on “Saturday Night Live” when re-watching scenes from this movie.
– Lisa Dillman, Los Angeles senior writer

80. Love & Basketball (2000)
Average rating: 74.79

It’s part family drama, part love story and partially an allegory on the destructive side of competition. Both Omar Epps and Sanaa Lathan are excellent, playing lifelong friends whose devotion to hoops clouds their emotional judgment. It’s a cleverly written movie with very few clichés and because of that easily floats above the restrictions of any one genre. There’s a reason why it’s cited so often by hoops lovers and, two decades after its release, still holds up really well.
– Salaam

81. The Rookie (2002)
Average rating: 74.74

One of my high school teammates frequently parroted a line from this movie: “You know what we get to do today, Brooks? We get to play baseball.” That’s the crux of “The Rookie”: love for a beautiful game. The film touches on themes of resilience, family and hope, and the story of a high school teacher-turned big leaguer feels even more remarkable because it’s based on true events.
– Peter Baugh, Missouri football writer

82. Glory Road (2006)
Average rating: 74.61

This movie introduced the world to what El Paso already knew — that Don Haskins was a legend. Sure, it’s a feel-good sports tale, but it captured the challenges of race, culture and college sports to tell the story that could have only originated in this unique border city.
– Greer

83. A River Runs Through It (1992)
Average rating: 74.54

A 20-something Brad Pitt’s charisma carries the film, but Norman Maclean’s words are its engine. Robert Redford narrates directly from the essential Montana novella, as the sweeping drama tells a story of brotherhood, faith, class and race through a lens of shadow casts over the Big Blackfoot. In this classic, all things merge beautifully into one.
– Bill Oram, Lakers beat writer

84. Cool Runnings (1993)
Average rating: 74.49

“Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme” — well, I always did. “Cool Runnings” may be corny and not entirely historically accurate … but it is feel-good. Add some of the catchy lines, a splash of John Candy, and it’s exactly what you’d want from any sports comedy.
– Brendan Marks, Duke/UNC beat writer

85. We Are Marshall (2006)
Average rating: 74.46

I vividly remember seeing “We Are Marshall” in a theater with members of my high school football team. I had vague ideas of the details of the actual story, but I am man enough to admit that I got very emotional in that theater. Matthew McConaughey delivers a stirring and inspiring performance as head coach Rick Tolley, and the sensitivity and respect in the way director McG approached the material deserves to be recognized. A film like this can easily feel like capitalizing off an emotional response, but I felt that it faithfully honored the real victims of the tragedy. I also remember feeling very thankful for my teammates as we left the theater that day.
– Garrison

86. Tin Cup (1996)
Average rating: 74.39

We humans are fallible. Most aren’t down with those flaws publicly exposed. Kevin Costner’s weathered, underdog golf pro character Roy McAvoy constantly loses battles with pride — and water on the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open — on and off the course. The go-for-it charm while chasing greatness makes ol’ Roy a folk hero. “When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment or the moment defines you.”
– Ben Standig, D.C. staff writer

87. Blue Chips (1994)
Average rating: 74.06

Pete Bell might be a good coach, but he is the worst recruiter in America and deserved to be fired. In the beginning of the movie, he tries to pin Western University’s lack of talent on his staff, but how about that Bell needed Robert Wuhl’s pseudo-Nike huckster character to tell him to recruit Butch McRae (Penny Hardaway), despite the fact that Butch plays for the same Chicago high school as Bell’s best player, Tony, and Bell was best friends with his principal, Lou Gossett Jr. playing a Catholic priest.

A more subtle inconsistency I love is when the underground street agent Slick tells Bell about a player no one has ever heard of in Neon Boudeaux, a.k.a. Shaquille O’Neal. Slick then reveals Neon briefly played in junior college and just destroyed a bunch of NBA players in an open gym. And, you know, he looks like Shaq. But no one’s ever heard of him! (Don’t get my colleague Larry Holder started on the ridiculous Algiers, La., scene.)

One detail I shake my head at in my old age is that sportswriter Ed O’Neill blows his own scoop in the denouement press conference. All this said, I love “Blue Chips.” Love it. The basketball scenes are legit, complete with celebrity cameos that are a blast to see now. Hey, that’s Rex Walters! Nick Nolte is fantastic as the Bobby Knight knockoff coach who beats the real thing. While Bell’s morality is the soul of the movie, Happy the booster, Lavada McRae and Ricky Roe (and his dad) make valid points about the inanity of amateurism in college hoops.

Also, TV is a tough class. It’s not just watching the tube.
– Greenberg

88. Wildcats (1986)
Average rating: 73.75

The second-best sports movie co-starring Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes. It’s a classic sports movie setup, an unlikely coach makes unlikely winners out of misfit athletes as they beat some rich jerks. Is it fine cinema? No. Does it traffic in the kind of troublesome tropes (white savior complex) familiar in pretty much every 1980s movie? Yes.

But as a movie you catch on TBS, it works. And as a kid, I loved it. The closing song is goofy and fantastic. “It’s the sport of kings, better than diamond rings, football. Football.” And don’t forget the Central High cheerleaders’ go-to chant, “U-G-L-Y, you ain’t got no alibi, you ugly.”
– Greenberg

89. Space Jam (1996)
Average rating: 73.55

Parenthood has given me a new appreciation of this movie. Because of it, my 6-year-old son knows all about Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Larry Johnson and … uh … Shawn Bradley? Part of the plot — NBA players lose their abilities to a mysterious force, forcing the cancellation of the season — is a little too on the nose right now.
– Chris Burke, Detroit Lions beat writer

90. Heaven Can Wait (1978)
Average rating: 73.39

As a 7-year-old completely obsessed with the Rams uniforms, I begged my dad to take me to this movie, which he did when it finally came to the single-screen theater located on Main Street in my hometown. The comedic precision of Dyan Cannon and Charles Grodin escaped my younger self — I only cared about seeing more climactic game action when Warren Beatty body-hopped his way into the Super Bowl. Kudos to Beatty for not embarrassing himself while throwing those crossing routes, and for taking repeated flattenings from Deacon Jones when a stunt double could’ve sufficed. (Write a song about that, Carly Simon.) Nine Oscar nominations and a plot that blossomed into reality a year late when the Rams actually faced the Steelers in Super Bowl XIV. (Come to think if it, have we ever seen Beatty and Vince Ferragamo in the same room?)
– G. Allan Taylor, West Virginia and Big 12 staff writer

91 (tied). Paper Lion (1968)
Average rating: 73.31

“Paper Lion” has designs to make sportswriter George Plimpton (played by Alan Alda) a sympathetic figure in the rough-and-tumble NFL. It fails in that regard, and Plimpton generally seems unlikable. But Detroit Lions defensive tackle Alex Karras turns the movie into a winner with his outsized personality and everyman approach.
– Dochterman

91 (tied). Youngblood (1986)
Average rating: 73.31

Pretty-boy hockey player Rob Lowe gets roughed up, quits, learns how to fight in the family barn, then returns to kick Racki’s ass in the big game. (Serves him right, that cheap-shot bastard). If you like ’80s movies, this hits all the tropes: Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves and a training montage set to music.
– Barrows

93. Secretariat (2010)
Average rating: 73.11

Even though I knew Big Red would win by 31 lengths, seeing his Belmont Stakes record run recreated was thrilling in this movie. Secretariat, the horse, was greatness in living color, and “Secretariat,” the movie, is focused on showing greatness. No underdog story here. Just Diane Lane and Secretariat dominating.
– Lee

94. Mystery, Alaska (1999)
Average rating: 73.05

The plot is a little thin — a group of Saturday afternoon amateurs try to stay competitive with the 1999 New York Rangers in an outdoor exhibition game — but the scenery is breathtaking and the movie will resonate with anyone that ever played shinny as a kid on a shivery winter day and dreamed of playing in the NHL. Burt Reynolds has a great turn as an overbearing hockey dad who has a come-to-Jesus moment; and Russell Crowe wearing a Gretzky-era Jofa helmet is a pitch-perfect finishing touch.
– Duhatschek

95. Bloodsport (1988)
Average rating: 72.91

How legendary is “Bloodsport?” Perhaps this will help explain: I’m not fluent in Spanish. Never have been. But have I watched the entirety of a Spanish-language version of “Bloodsport” without subtitles before? Absolutely, I have. Because Frank Dux’s pursuit of Kumite glory transcends language. It’s the ultimate Van Damme flick, sucking you in and refusing to let go until the reign of that cheat Chong Li is over for good.
– Al-Shatti

96. Beyond the Mat (1999)
Average rating: 72.86

This documentary bares the human toll on pro wrestlers. Even two decades later, the behind-the-scenes footage is equally heartbreaking and inspiring. You might not really understand what it is these performers do, but after watching this you’ll appreciate why they do it.
– Rossi

97. Above the Rim (1994)
Average rating: 72.64

How is ATR widely beloved? Let me count the ways: The soundtrack. The screen-bursting magnetism and menace of Tupac Shakur as Birdie. Tommy Sheppard walking onto the court at halftime and shooting 30-for-30 in his corduroy pants in the Shootout tournament final. But in New York, “Above the Rim” is bigger than that. I was a month shy of turning 12 when the film came out, playing for a recreation center travel team with future all-city high school teammates. My job was to rebound and set screens for Smush Parker. We played on the same courts and in the same gyms where “Above the Rim” was shot. We wore the same shorts from Olaf’s, the Harlem hoops institution. We saw our basketball lives onscreen, set to music by Tha Dogg Pound and 2Pac. I don’t know if I ever felt greater. The elastic wore out on all of my Olaf’s years ago, but I still have every pair folded in the bottom drawer of my childhood bedroom.
– Bartholomew

98. Varsity Blues (1999)
Average rating: 72.18

This isn’t a great movie. I’m not even sure it’s a good one. But it was never intended to be. This is a fun movie filled with memorable characters and, if you were in high school in the late ’90s, you’ll feel right at home. And remember, never say no when Darcy Sears asks if you’ll take whipped cream with that ice cream.
– Yohe

99. Ali (2001)
Average rating: 72.17

I think it goes without saying that we all like Will Smith. He’s one of the most charismatic and entertaining personalities of the past 30 years. But not many people give him credit for being a legitimately great actor. “Ali” changed that perception quickly as he embodied every nuance of the legendary boxer, from his mannerisms to his signature speaking cadence. Smith ended up losing the Best Actor award to Denzel Washington’s iconic performance in “Training Day,” and Muhammad Ali probably deserves a better movie than “Ali” to do his career justice, but I’d definitely be willing to cast Will Smith in the role again.
– Garrison

100. The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Average rating: 72.14

The ultimate old-Hollywood sports biography. “The Pride of the Yankees” is as much a love story between Gary Cooper’s Gehrig and Teresa Wright’s Eleanor as it is a sports movie. And that’s OK, because the chemistry between Cooper and Wright is more than enough to make up for the less-than-authentic sports scenes. (Watch Lou’s first homer as a kid to see where the ball comes from.) “Knute Rockne All-American” may have the “win-one-for-the-Gipper” speech, but nothing tops Cooper’s delivery of Lou Gehrig’s “Luckiest Man” speech (which screenwriters Jo Swerling and Herman Mankiewicz re-ordered). Yet, for me, one of the movie’s most poignant moments comes after the speech, as Cooper walks off the field, up the tunnel, the No. 4 on his back as the umpire yells, “Play ball!” Gehrig may be gone, but life, and the game, goes on.
– Peterson

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have time to read the entire list but if Over the Top isn't in the top 10 throw it in the trash.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't have time to read the entire list but if Over the Top isn't in the top 10 throw it in the trash.
Then you are going to hate this list. It's not even on the list.

Top Bottom