Thank You Chancellor Hance!

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What ranking is that? Of all the majors? The student body size is the reason that ranking get dragged down. Too many Theatre major dorks.

My rankings were about Engineering which is what our school is and your school (since it's "Technical") is also supposed to be good at.
That's an interesting way of researching universities.

I have no doubt that UCF is a quality place, bruh. How bout we just recognize that UCF are about the same academically with each having strengths and weaknesses?

Law school #1 in Texas bar passage rate
Medical school is gud

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have to attend a Board of Regents meeting next Thursday. Skid's bestest bud will be there so I will have to make sure and pass along his undying love to him.
While you are shining his shoes put in a good word for me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As a general matter the reason colleges and universities Jack up prices is because our lawmakers make it easy for them with their insane ideology that everyone has a right to be educated via student loans. Then in turn throw loan money at anyone that can make an X on paper. There is an extremely high number of would be students that milk the system with no intent to repay it. The reason I even comment on this for this thread is that some have indicated they didn't get to go to the school of their chose because of cost.

While it is ideally fine to think that everyone has the right to an education, the public has no real responsibility to provide it to them.

Now please resume.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I agree with you LT. The education bubble is the next big one to pop.

As far as the rest of it - Cotton is my boy and I have a good time changing barbs with him about this stuff. I'm just glad that there is a subject that I care about can be debated here. Like not the Cowboys.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You're my boy, too, but the Whataburger thing almost ended us.

dallen

Senior Tech
Is it possible skid is actually the chancellor of Texas Tech? Before this thread I would have said <1% chance. Now I'm thinking 95%

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
As a general matter the reason colleges and universities Jack up prices is because our lawmakers make it easy for them with their insane ideology that everyone has a right to be educated via student loans. Then in turn throw loan money at anyone that can make an X on paper. There is an extremely high number of would be students that milk the system with no intent to repay it. The reason I even comment on this for this thread is that some have indicated they didn't get to go to the school of their chose because of cost.

While it is ideally fine to think that everyone has the right to an education, the public has no real responsibility to provide it to them.

Now please resume.
I think private universities should be allowed to charge whatever they want. I resent the shit out of my tax money being used to fund country clubs like UT, A&M and TTU. If they want to charge whatever they want and be of no benefit to the public at large, they should do so as private schools without stealing from the public till.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think private universities should be allowed to charge whatever they want. I resent the shit out of my tax money being used to fund country clubs like UT, A&M and TTU. If they want to charge whatever they want and be of no benefit to the public at large, they should do so as private schools without stealing from the public till.
I agree. Tell it to your congressman. It's that dippy group that is ultimately responsible for this debacle. They are just too generous with our money. They don't have to account for how they spend it. I paid my children's education cost and I am grateful I was able. I am not crazy about the idea of paying for others.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I agree. Tell it to your congressman. It's that dippy group that is ultimately responsible for this debacle. They are just too generous with our money. They don't have to account for how they spend it. I paid my children's education cost and I am grateful I was able. I am not crazy about the idea of paying for others.
My parents were a truck driver and a school teacher. They couldn't afford to pay for me. I made it on an academic scholarship and my brother joined the Navy.

The days where the working man can pay his kids' way are long over. We pay taxes so kids who never had to work once a day in their lives can put off learning the value of a dollar for another five or six years. Then they get to learn that the value of a hundred thousand dollars of student loans is about twice what their life is worth.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Inflated education costs are totally unreasonable right now. Clay is generally complaining about how the man screwed him but in this case he's right. Not that he got screwed because we should all find a way to figure out our own lives. But yes about the cost of education.

Still, there are some good options out there if you take some to to look into it. You just gottas work the system a little better these days. You can go to CTC in Texas or a handful of other junior colleges and then transfer to a state university for reasonable. My 17 years old will graduate from high school in December and then graduate from JC in May for $4500. It looks like he will finish up debt free. His total will be 15-18k-ish for all four years.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I did the jc transfer thing and it worked for me. Now, I've had a lot of career uncertainty, but that's only because I abruptly changed my mind about what I want to be when I grow up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Inflated education costs are totally unreasonable right now. Clay is generally complaining about how the man screwed him but in this case he's right. Not that he got screwed because we should all find a way to figure out our own lives. But yes about the cost of education.

Still, there are some good options out there if you take some to to look into it. You just gottas work the system a little better these days. You can go to CTC in Texas or a handful of other junior colleges and then transfer to a state university for reasonable. My 17 years old will graduate from high school in December and then graduate from JC in May for $4500. It looks like he will finish up debt free. His total will be 15-18k-ish for all four years.
Want to talk about inflated, try going to law school. SLU's tuition was somewhere in the 35,000.00 a year range. The problem is college has become something that everyone feels like they need to do. Half the people who go to college can't get a job that even utilizes the skills they learned in college. That bubble will burst eventually and the US is probably going to end up eating a lot of student loans.

It doesn't help that a lot of kids went to college when the economy was great and then graduated with the shit economy we see today. People who thought they would be making 70,000 a year plus right away are making 36,000 a year.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No doubt that the education bubble will burst. Everyone doesn't not need a degree or student loan.

There are so many students losing out on the bargain that JC offers. You wanta talk money? i have 3 kids in private school @ $6,000 each per year. Thankfully this year my stipend for coaching will cover a good amount of it because another one of my kids will be transfering from public school.

My son will get an associate degree for less than it costs for one year of private school.

townsend

Banned
If I had a kid, I'd probably want him to go to a trade school. There is a deficiency of craftsmen in the country right now, a plumber or an electrician can make a shit ton more than a poli-sci student.

I think the biggest thing that's blown up the economics of college education is that college has become the goal, not the job college leads to.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
it is all up to the kid's ability, imo. My oldest son hasn't taken a college course yet. He turns 21 in July. He is wroking as a pipeline welder's helper with the goal of getting certified soon.

Having a trade is just as solid as having a degree.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had a kid, I'd probably want him to go to a trade school. There is a deficiency of craftsmen in the country right now, a plumber or an electrician can make a shit ton more than a poli-sci student.

I think the biggest thing that's blown up the economics of college education is that college has become the goal, not the job college leads to.
That's true, my parents owned a tool and die shop most of my life. They had tons of work and were very successful but their biggest problem was finding actual tool and die workers. Just not many workers out there capable of doing that job, the only way to find good ones was to get them out of highschool and put them in an apprenticeship program immediately. Most highschool kids wanted to go to college instead of taking that route.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I value education immensely, but I would have no problem with my kid going to a trade school. I recently read a good book about the devaluing of shop class and the manual trades in public school. One of the points was that nobody can hammer a nail from India. It's true.

Top Bottom