Sturm: Why did the Cowboys tire of Kellen Moore and could he figure it out elsewhere?

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
He did retire as a QB for the Giants. The worst thing was Jones foisting Garrett on Fat Wade.
Ironically, he also got fired as an OC for the NYG. Have to wonder who in their front office ever thought he would be a cog in their offensive machine? Garrett was the living embodiment of the Peter Principle and the entitlement factor of time-in-grade.

The hiring of Schottenheimer is just the latest iteration of that dynamic. Front offices in the NFL are lazy, stupid and risk averse -- Dumb & Dumber more so than most.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The hiring of Schottenheimer is just the latest iteration of that dynamic. Front offices in the NFL are lazy, stupid and risk averse -- Dumb & Dumber more so than most.
You do realize that Jason Garrett in 2007 and Kellen Moore in 2019 represent the other extreme, right (said facetiously)?

I believe the right answer is in the middle somewhere, right where I think Schottenheimer is

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You do realize that Jason Garrett in 2007 and Kellen Moore in 2019 represent the other extreme, right (said facetiously)?

I believe the right answer is in the middle somewhere, right where I think Schottenheimer is
If Schottenheimer brings more to the offense than McCarthy does, it would surprise me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Schottenheimer brings more to the offense than McCarthy does, it would surprise me.
Well, you've got to believe there is a lot that will be brand new, and while MM will provide high level input and broad strokes, it's Schottenheimer's job to flesh out the play designs and put together the playbook.

Schottenheimer is a competent yet undistinguished OC. He does his job. Is he personally going to get the best out of Dak Prescott? Probably not, and that ship has probably sailed anyway. Prescott is what he is.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life

Schottenheimer has been bouncing around the NFL old boy network for 20 years, never distinguishing himself in any way. Same old game of musical chairs. Why do mediocre or failed coaches always seem to land with some other team? Schottenheimer was a consultant to an OC who was shown the door, and in turn becomes the new OC? How does that add up?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, you've got to believe there is a lot that will be brand new, and while MM will provide high level input and broad strokes, it's Schottenheimer's job to flesh out the play designs and put together the playbook.

Schottenheimer is a competent yet undistinguished OC. He does his job. Is he personally going to get the best out of Dak Prescott? Probably not, and that ship has probably sailed anyway. Prescott is what he is.
I wonder how well these mods/changes will work for the offense as a whole. We’re all pretty eager to put Garrett, Linehan and Moore behind us. But Dak has 7 years of it in his head. Talk about PTSD.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Put it this way, Schottenheimer knows how to put in routes, design plays, communicate them to staff, implement game plans, and call plays. There’s very little he hasn’t seen. McCarthy, an offensive architect, needs someone like that right now.

We need to fundamentally shift to a style of pass offense where Dak hits a player on the move with a minimum of difficulty most plays.

Gilbride did that for Eli, basically make it so the target of every play was turning upfield about five yards all but directly in front of him. That way he couldn’t miss. That built confidence for Manning to hit tougher plays later on.

McCarthy can architect that same kind of thing for Dak based on short slants as he did for Rodgers early days, and Schottenheimer cando the groundwork. We should be mostly freed from the Linehan/Garrett stink.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Put it this way, Schottenheimer knows how to put in routes, design plays, communicate them to staff, implement game plans, and call plays. There’s very little he hasn’t seen. McCarthy, an offensive architect, needs someone like that right now.

We need to fundamentally shift to a style of pass offense where Dak hits a player on the move with a minimum of difficulty most plays.

Gilbride did that for Eli, basically make it so the target of every play was turning upfield about five yards all but directly in front of him. That way he couldn’t miss. That built confidence for Manning to hit tougher plays later on.

McCarthy can architect that same kind of thing for Dak based on short slants as he did for Rodgers early days, and Schottenheimer cando the groundwork. We should be mostly freed from the Linehan/Garrett stink.
That will be welcomed, I’m sure it also might take a bit of getting used to at first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Schottenheimer will do mostly the run game stuff, and Mike will do the passing game himself.
He supposedly helped our defense a ton last year helping them prepare for what other offenses will do. I agree, I think he will help the run game. And in the end I think he is a good fit to work with Dak. He isn't going to scheme up exotic stuff and he certainly wouldn't have been my choice but by all sounds of it he earned the job doing the work he did last year.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
To paraphrase the classic Nike commercial featuring guitarist Bo Diddley -- ain't nobody knows diddley.

Top Bottom