Sturm: Perception versus reality - The 2019 Cowboys, feat. The People vs. Kellen Moore

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Bob Sturm 4h ago

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.” – Mark Twain

2019 was the first year in a long time when the Cowboys offense occasionally looked like a dominant and dynamic machine. Some say 2014, but I think you can suggest that last year’s offense was even better than that in certain respects. All told, when you combine the production and the scheme, we could argue that the Dallas offense had its best year in more than a decade. It may have been as powerful as any year since the dynasty of the 1990s.

That is a pretty bold claim for a team that went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

And this is where things get very murky. This conversation happens in some form or fashion on the internet every day between football fans. On one side, Dak Prescott has a personal resume that is well above reproach in 2019. On the other side, the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs. Critics point to that and say success isn’t about personal accomplishments; it is about the fate of the team. The irony, of course, is that in 2016 and 2018, when the team marched all the way to division crowns and the playoffs, the Prescott faction would point to those difficult accomplishments, at which point the critics would argue that it isn’t about the team – QBs were to be evaluated on personal goals.

Basically, if Dak Prescott ever wins a Super Bowl while winning an NFL MVP, he will have turned everyone in his favor. Other than that, we have assumed that he will always have a crowd of Cowboys enthusiasts who just will not be flipped.

Frustrating, but true. It is happening as we speak somewhere on Twitter or Reddit, or perhaps even in person (with masks and social distancing, of course).

Luckily for all of us, this story isn’t about Dak. But in some respects, we arrive at a very similar conversation. This piece is about one of the hottest names in the offensive coordinator game these days: Kellen Moore.

Moore was handed the reins to the Cowboys offense when Scott Linehan was shown the door. Most around the league seem to agree that the modernization of the offense was rather substantial. Football Outsiders pointed out that maybe the advancements weren’t revolutionizing the NFL, but they heavily complimented the “pre-snap motion and route concepts that properly spaced out receivers compared to the stagnant design of the 2018 offense.”

We saw immediate results, as the Cowboys totaled 97 points in a trio of blowout victories that had the masses wondering if the sky was the limit. Might the team end up playing so well that the franchise would give massive new contracts to their coach and quarterback? If they continued this for another 13 weeks, would Kellen Moore be a head coach somewhere in the NFL by Valentine’s Day of 2020?

Obviously, you can get out over your skis when you start 3-0 and destroy all of your opponents with ease. Ultimately, though, the smoldering wreckage of the Cowboys’ season was laid bare for all to see on the turf at Soldier Field in Chicago and then the turf at the Linc in Philadelphia. Dallas had gone 4-8 in their next 12 games, the narrative quickly changing. They were a complete and total fraud.

The reasons were a combination of these two ideas:
  1. Their first three games came against the New York Giants, Washington and Miami. Those three teams would remain among the NFL’s worst, offering very little resistance to opposing attacks. That explains how Dallas was able to score whenever they were interested in doing so.
  2. They were a new offense. New offenses require a few weeks of study before the league can fully understand the scheme, then pivot to decoding and exploiting its weaknesses. Coaches really believe there is a titanic shift in tactics after about Week 3 or 4 in any season, with new coaches and the “film getting out on them.” Opponents throw counter-punches, but they don’t all hit. Those that do are carefully noted. It would seem very normal for a coach to confuse the first few opponents, only to see gradually less surprise the more the word gets around on their tendencies.
The importance of each of these factors is up for discussion, but the combination of the two explains a ton about the Cowboys’ 2019 season. They played soft teams early; opponents who may have already been tanking. Dallas’ 3-0 was not equal to other 3-0 starts around the league. Therefore, it was determined, the Cowboys were probably quite fraudulent — as the next three games against New Orleans, the Packers and the Jets would clearly demonstrate. Heck, the Jets are fun because you can use them for either theory if you are extra cynical. If you beat them, they were a powder puff. If you lose, they exposed your weaknesses.

Arguing football is pretty silly some times.

Anyway, play-action passing dropped substantially after Week 3. By the end of the season, the Cowboys’ play-action numbers were almost identical to what they were in 2018. The good news is that they actually were far more productive in non-play-action passing because the QB and the passing game were far more lethal. When the public wanted to play the blame game, though, it went back to familiar foes.

Here’s what we should be asking about 2019: Was the offense as good as we think, or was this simply an 8-8 team? Statistics are pliable, but what if the team was 8-8 for a number of reasons and most of those don’t actually fall on the QB and the OC? What if the coach was actually losing them chances at success? What if the defense was inconsistent? What if the special teams dragged them down a few feet in a game of inches?

Dallas was one of five teams to score at least 32 points per game in the first three weeks of 2019. Let’s look at those five teams for a brief moment.
Top offenses last September

TEAM
WK 1-3
WK 1-3 PPG
WK 4-17
WK 4-17 PPG
TOTAL W-L
TOTAL PPG
OUTCOME
Baltimore2-136.612-132.414-233.2AFC 1 Seed
New England3-035.39-424.112-426.3AFC 3 Seed
Kansas City3-033.69-426.912-428.2SB Champ
Dallas3-032.35-825.98-827.1
San Francisco3-03210-329.413-329.9SB Loss

As you can see, they have lofty company. Two Super Bowl teams, the biggest juggernaut in the NFL in 2019 and the Patriots. Based on popular media explanations, you will be left to see that the other teams had legit offenses that stood the test of time. The Cowboys, on the other hand, were not legit. They were frauds. I mean, after all, the Chiefs scored more points than they did over the final 13 weeks of the season.

Wait, I’m sorry. That isn’t completely true.

From Weeks 4-17 over the final 13 games of each team’s season, the Dallas offense scored 10 more points than the Chiefs offense. Even if you subtract the weaklings at the start of the season, Dallas’ offense scored the fifth-most points in the NFL the rest of the way. Maybe they didn’t just beat up on the pitiful. Maybe Kellen Moore wasn’t completely figured out. And maybe that is why Mike McCarthy wants to keep him despite almost entirely discarding Jason Garrett’s old staff.

For now, I will avoid the whispers from last season’s Cowboys team that once the adversity started to hit (which included Tyron Smith’s high-ankle sprain in New Orleans), Garrett grabbed a big part of the tactical steering wheel and reeled in the offense to more closely resemble the conservative approach that makes him comfortable. Like I said, that is largely anecdotal and would require a fair amount of contortion to confirm or deny.

I do think we can at least check a number of offensive variables from 2019 and see where the team’s attack ranked over the course of those two samples: (Weeks 1-3 and Weeks 4-17) to test the theories that the league figured out Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott. Does that really explain everything you need to know about the 8-8 record?
Dallas Offensive Ranks (out of 32)

OFFENSIVE CATEGORYWK 1-3WK 4-17TOTAL
Points4th6th6th
Yards3rd1st1st
Pass Yds4th2nd2nd
YPA4th5th4th
Pass FDs8th4th5th
Sacked/Att1st2nd2nd
3rd Down %1st3rd2nd
Rush Yds3rd10th5th
Rush FDs3rd7th4th
Giveways (few)4th11th9th
Explosive plays5th3rd3rd
Drive Score %4th5th4th
Red Zone TD%4th24th15th

This tells me what I believe I already knew intuitively. It just verifies it.

There is no question the Cowboys offense lacked a bit of efficiency down the stretch. With a few more timely moments, they would have won 10 games, won their division and probably won Jason Garrett a new contract. Their red-zone efficiency, in particular, was poor. When you combine that with a poor kicker and even worse special teams and coaching, you get this.

But, overall, look at the year-long rankings. Look at the production. These numbers demonstrably were not simply put up by ambushing bad teams. I realize it is no fun being fair to hometown guys who have not accomplished anything, but the amount of leeway given to other teams — against a ridiculous standard of demands on Prescott and Kellen Moore — has always been ridiculous around here.

This team needed an overhaul, but blaming the offensive coordinator and quarterback is just absurd. They produced on a level that was closer to Kansas City and Baltimore than almost any team in football, and yet those offenses are heralded as amazing and some of the biggest Cowboys fans think their own group is trash.
It just doesn’t hold any water.

If football is all about “three phases,” then I must tell you again that I think the phase that gets the most publicity and segments with the talk shows is undoubtedly the phase that matters least to a potential massive improvement in 2020.

I assume McCarthy knows this, which is why he has Kellen Moore at the helm and plans to combine the offensive coordinator’s acumen with the McCarthy diet of extreme early-down passing and very aggressive fourth-down postures. This coach has shown for years that he will hardly resemble Jason Garrett at all. I wrote all about that in January; you might wish to dive in and re-familiarize with it now, because January feels a very long time ago.

In season two, Kellen will have a few new toys and a new initiative to attack. I think we saw plenty to build upon in 2019. Adding CeeDee Lamb and Blake Jarwin in spots where veterans took just about all the snaps in 2019 will help.

The Cowboys have a chance to really put up numbers this year. I wonder if people will notice this time if the team wins more than it loses.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think pretty much every knowledge fan realized that offense wasn't really the problem.....for the most part.

Dallas's problems stemmed from poor situational play calling and game management. Hence the struggles in the red zone and poor special teams play.

This team could have easily won 10+ games. The talent has been there most years to do bigger and better things but Jerry decided to waste an entire decade on Garrett who almost always failed when it mattered most.

Including the playoffs, in games played under win or go home circumstances, the Garrett led Cowboys only mustered a 2-8 record.

2011 vs NYG (Loss)
2012 vs WAS (Loss)
2013 vs PHI (Loss)
2014 vs DET (Win)
2014 vs GB (Loss)
2016 vs GB (Loss)
2018 vs SEA (Win)
2018 vs LAR (Loss)
2019 vs PHI (Loss)

I've always harped on the importance of having a competent coach given the amount of roster parity in the NFL. Most games come down to a few key plays and/or coaching decisions, so you need a coach who's not going to shit the bed on a regular basis in tight situations. The Patriots are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Their dynasty isn't built on lopsided victories. Pretty much every one of their Super Bowl wins came down to the final moments of the game and Belichick pushing the right buttons to close out the games.

Garrett's problems weren't that he wasn't a genius tactician like Belichick. Garrett's problems were that he struggled with decisions that should have been rudimentary. It doesn't take a brilliant coach to understand that it's a bad idea to settle for a 51 yard FG with :30 on the clock, 2 timeouts in your pocket and a rookie PK. It also doesn't take brilliant coaching to have your QB and team practice handling wet footballs for a game where forecasts call for a 100% chance of heavy rain.

That's why the Cowboys have that 2-8 record that I mentioned above. When the on-field talent canceled each other out it came down to coaches....and more times than not, the Cowboys were on the short end of the stick when it came to a battle of coaching wits.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You can throw the 2017 loss to Seattle in there as well. Technically it wasn't a win or go home game but it was a week 16 game that Dallas lost which led to them being eliminated from the playoffs.

It was essentially a playoff game. Both teams needed the win to stay alive for the playoffs and in true Garrett Cowboys fashion, the team looked over-matched, overwhelmed, and out-coached the entire 2nd half.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Stats from last year prove very little.

First of all, the Cowboy faced seven weaklings, not three, and went 6-1 against them, scoring 238 (34) points in those games and 196 (21.77) against the remaining nine. They scored a lot of points coming back against Green Bay and Chicago.

They had impressive wins vs the Rams and Eagles (first time).

They played three good teams in Minnesota, New Orleans, and Buffalo, holding up well enough against the first two and getting creamed by the third, scoring even more comeback points.

The offense also really struggled on the road. Sure there was bad coaching, but someone has to step up on the field at some point.
Overall I would rank them below the 2016 offense. They lacked the punch they had then, despite Dak’s improvement.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The offense also really struggled on the road. Sure there was bad coaching, but someone has to step up on the field at some point.
It's hard to step up when the head coach routinely makes decisions that hurt his own team.

We're talking about 2 separate generations of Cowboys players all sharing the same experiences with the same incompetent coach.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think pretty much every knowledge fan realized that offense wasn't really the problem.....for the most part.

Dallas's problems stemmed from poor situational play calling and game management. Hence the struggles in the red zone and poor special teams play.

This team could have easily won 10+ games. The talent has been there most years to do bigger and better things but Jerry decided to waste an entire decade on Garrett who almost always failed when it mattered most.

Including the playoffs, in games played under win or go home circumstances, the Garrett led Cowboys only mustered a 2-8 record.

2011 vs NYG (Loss)
2012 vs WAS (Loss)
2013 vs PHI (Loss)
2014 vs DET (Win)
2014 vs GB (Loss)
2016 vs GB (Loss)
2018 vs SEA (Win)
2018 vs LAR (Loss)
2019 vs PHI (Loss)

I've always harped on the importance of having a competent coach given the amount of roster parity in the NFL. Most games come down to a few key plays and/or coaching decisions, so you need a coach who's not going to shit the bed on a regular basis in tight situations. The Patriots are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Their dynasty isn't built on lopsided victories. Pretty much every one of their Super Bowl wins came down to the final moments of the game and Belichick pushing the right buttons to close out the games.

Garrett's problems weren't that he wasn't a genius tactician like Belichick. Garrett's problems were that he struggled with decisions that should have been rudimentary. It doesn't take a brilliant coach to understand that it's a bad idea to settle for a 51 yard FG with :30 on the clock, 2 timeouts in your pocket and a rookie PK. It also doesn't take brilliant coaching to have your QB and team practice handling wet footballs for a game where forecasts call for a 100% chance of heavy rain.

That's why the Cowboys have that 2-8 record that I mentioned above. When the on-field talent canceled each other out it came down to coaches....and more times than not, the Cowboys were on the short end of the stick when it came to a battle of coaching wits.

Excellently put.

I'd add that not only were we 2-8 in those games, we easily could've been 1-9 considering the Detroit game was a come from behind miracle win. The team played much of that game looking rudderless and clueless.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Excellently put.

I'd add that not only were we 2-8 in those games, we easily could've been 1-9 considering the Detroit game was a come from behind miracle win. The team played much of that game looking rudderless and clueless.
Whenever Cowboys fans try to lean too heavily on the Dez play in order to excuse Garrett, I always point out that the Cowboys probably shouldn't have been in that game in the first place.

The Lions and their fans have every right to be livid about that game. I have never seen refs overturn a play like they did with that Anthony Hitchens pass interference call. That was a play that was so close that even if it were reviewable it would have been ruled inconclusive, but the refs took it upon themselves to reverse their on field call anyway.

Hell, last year when they had the benefit of replay they didn't overturn pass interference calls that were far more obvious than the Hitchens play.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Whenever Cowboys fans try to lean too heavily on the Dez play in order to excuse Garrett, I always point out that the Cowboys probably shouldn't have been in that game in the first place.

The Lions and their fans have every right to be livid about that game. I have never seen refs overturn a play like they did with that Anthony Hitchens pass interference call. That was a play that was so close that even if it were reviewable it would have been ruled inconclusive, but the refs took it upon themselves to reverse their on field call anyway.

Hell, last year when they had the benefit of replay they didn't overturn pass interference calls that were far more obvious than the Hitchens play.
Fox only showed the reverse angle once, and it showed the WR pulling the front of Hitchens’ jersey towards him even while Hitchens’ arms were raised, probably with the intention of making it look like contact to draw a penalty.

IMO it’s no coincidence the judge with the viewing angle came in and picked up the flag.

But then Fox kept exclusively showing the angle from Hitchen’s rear.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Fox only showed the reverse angle once, and it showed the WR pulling the front of Hitchens’ jersey towards him even while Hitchens’ arms were raised, probably with the intention of making it look like contact to draw a penalty.

IMO it’s no coincidence the judge with the viewing angle came in and picked up the flag.

But then Fox kept exclusively showing the angle from Hitchen’s rear.

I think it was a good non-call, so I do think they got it right. But had they stuck with the original call, which easily could have happened, we very likely lose that game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can throw the 2017 loss to Seattle in there as well. Technically it wasn't a win or go home game but it was a week 16 game that Dallas lost which led to them being eliminated from the playoffs.
s
It was essentially a playoff game. Both teams needed the win to stay alive for the playoffs and in true Garrett Cowboys fashion, the team looked over-matched, overwhelmed, and out-coached the entire 2nd half.
Seattle had like 120 yards of offense that game and somehow managed to win due to a bumbling set of circumstances where the team couldn't get out of their own way with idiotic penalties, turnovers and just plain horrendous play-calling.

In many ways 2017 and 2019 were mirror images of each other, very talented teams that continuously bumbled around and never found their footing amidst a series of comedic errors, terrible play-calling and a general lackadaisical demeanor. At least in 2017 you had the excuse of Elliott's suspension and turmoil along the OL, in 2019 there was quite literally no legitimate excuse and the team quit on Garrett right around Thanksgiving.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it was a good non-call, so I do think they got it right. But had they stuck with the original call, which easily could have happened, we very likely lose that game.
Absolutely. He pulled Hitchens' facemask and then his right shoulder. Both players made contact which equates to a good non-call.
YR15nHD.jpg

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Everything you said... but even more that Rodgers had four minutes left after the non-catch and our defense was like Swiss cheese that year.

Seems like in some peoples' memories that call was made with 30 seconds left. Which still might have been enough for Rodgers. :unsure

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Given what we saw at the end of that 2016 playoff game I'd say 30 seconds would have been plenty of time.
Exactly. To be honest, Romo chucking it up on that 4th and 2 was one of the gutsiest throws ive seen. But if all goes well and we score, that doesn’t guarantee a damn thing. Murray fumbling on that sure TD is something I remember as much as the no catch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That was the play of the game right there.
They get a one in a million play there. We were snake bit for sure.

As beat up as our defense was, we probably don’t win it all, but we should have at least made the NFC Championship game.

Top Bottom