Sturm: Jaylon Smith challenged us to “watch the film.” Here’s what we learned

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Props, I've been looking all over for a gif of that.
I tried, as well, and couldn't find it. I bet I spent a good 10 minutes before I gave up. I really need to work on my commitment.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
this one is a little more fluid...really gets all that good arm and neck twitch.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Jaylon doesn't have to study and prepare, because it's all love.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If we have to dumb down the entire defense just so one guy can understand it, I'd rather just replace that one guy.
Thank you! There's no doubt this is how it should be. IMO he should be gone just for his poisonous "I've made it already, I'm a star because I got paid" attitude.

But he's in the Special Jerry Pet club, so we know it won't,.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Defensive tackle was an abject disaster.
And it was basically the same last year. Ok, so we had Collins. We also lose Quinn as a rusher and the secondary loses its best player too.

Smith, overhyped, not too bright, and average, sits right in between both ranks.

The coaching was the biggest disaster we’ve seen in a long long time, maybe ever.

You take an already limited guy like Smith, don’t really teach him or most people around him the defensive scheme, change his freaking position, and then because of injury ask him to play his old position (in the new scheme that it) and of course it was a disaster.

But it’s done, and you can’t throw good money after bad now. No way he can be that highly paid and also team captain. It makes no sense at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jaylon On Cowboys Problem: 'We Didn't Play As A Team'

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith is expressive with his hands. But here, he can not be accused of using those same hands for finger-pointing.
MIKE FISHER
6 MINUTES AGO

FRISCO - On the field, Jaylon Smith tends to express himself with his hands. Waving his arms, clapping his paws ... "The Swipe.''
But the Dallas Cowboys linebacker can not be accused of using those same hands for finger-pointing.

“Part of it,'' Smith said of the 2020 struggle, "is definitely the defense. We weren’t clicking. From an execution standpoint.

"We weren’t playing together as a team.”

Smith often does a fine job of being cooperative with the media without actually giving too much away. But in a visit this week with FS1’s Speak For Yourself, his honest words offer an indictment of a central problem with that 6-10 campaign.

“You’ve got a bunch of dominant, elite players individually,'' he said. "You've got to be able to come together as a team and understand the scheme. Understand where we supposed to be. And then go out and execute.''

The scheme, and the teachings of now-fired defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, were absolutely a problem. But Jaylon does think the group experienced a turnaround late in the season that - along with the good health of key guys on the other side of the ball, especially QB Dak Prescott, who was lost for the 2020 NFL season in Week 5 - should pay off to start 2021 under new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

“Look at games later in the season,'' he said. "Gelling together, excitement for each other, causing turnovers, celebrating, having fun. That’s really what led to the change of what you’ve seen later in the season from our defense that can obviously help an elite offense.”

Jaylon Smith knows that he needs to improve his individual effectiveness, and that's part of what he's saying here, too. It's a positive sign for head coach Mike McCarthy's program, really, that there seems to be an avoidance of "us vs. them'' (offense vs. defense, which happens plenty inside locker rooms) and instead a focus on a finger pointing in the direction it can best forge improvements ...

In the mirror.
--------------

This fuckin' guy.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
What kills me is the sheer arrogance. Instead of humility or introspection or vows to get better, he dares us to "watch the film," as if we've been watching some other player all season. Counting the days 'til he's off the team.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom