Sturm: Five days later, thoughts on Mike McCarthy and where I went wrong again

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Akin to firing Jimmy Johnson after 1991 11-5 and playoff massacre to Lions, you say?

It's funny. You could certainly say many of the same things about the coaching staff after the Lions loss. We were the better team over the Lions in 91.

Genghis Khan

We got to 12 wins due in large part to an opportunistic defense and playing half our schedule (and more) against trash.
But that's part of the team still, isn't it?

12-5 looks great. But then you see the lack of more than a couple quality wins (NE, maybe the Chargers, maybe the Vikings and you realize they went 1-4 against playoff teams.
I haven't read the rest of this thread yet and I'm sure it's been pointed out already, but just in case, 3-4 against playoff teams. Yes, the eagles count.

Genghis Khan

Who compared Lamb to Randy Moss, you retarded dipshit?

In the 18 year history of this board, I've used the ignore function exactly once, about a week after we whooped the Redskins. I used to think it was for wusses. But I have to say I'm much happier being blissfully unaware of this poster's idiocy. I recommend it highly.

1 guess who it is. :lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In the 18 year history of this board, I've used the ignore function exactly once, about a week after we whooped the Redskins. I used to think it was for wusses. But I have to say I'm much happier being blissfully unaware of this poster's idiocy. I recommend it highly.

Is it a current poster? :unsure

Cotton

Staff member

JiggyFly is my guess.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have a radical thought that might get me tarred and feathered, but what if this isn't the end of the world? MM has been here two years, one of which was impossible to do anything because of injuries. So his first year with a viable team he goes 12-5. Yes, they lost in the first round. But are we sure that invalidates everything?

If the team lays a big egg next year I get it, but I'm not sure you throw everything out because you don't win a playoff game in basically your first year of having any reasonable chance.
The only counter I'll offer to this is in regards to a recent comment Jerry made about making adjustments & fixing things during the season rather than waiting until the offseason.

McCarthy gets a big red F in that subject. It was pretty evident in early December that Moore and the offense had lost their way. First year or not, he should have been a lot more involved in the offense down the stretch.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
The only counter I'll offer to this is in regards to a recent comment Jerry made about making adjustments & fixing things during the season rather than waiting until the offseason.

McCarthy gets a big red F in that subject. It was pretty evident in early December that Moore and the offense had lost their way. First year or not, he should have been a lot more involved in the offense down the stretch.

this leads to a very big mystery, is Kellen Moore that safe, and McCarthy didnt have to worry about his job if KM was the weak link? or was something else going on and JJ excused it another way?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
this leads to a very big mystery, is Kellen Moore that safe, and McCarthy didnt have to worry about his job if KM was the weak link? or was something else going on and JJ excused it another way?
Based on the below Sturm comment, I take it that McCarthy mostly just nodded and went along with whatever rudimentary game plan Bucky pieced together.

He would continuously suggest he doesn’t want to get involved in the offense and undercut Moore, but then we wonder what the point was in the first place?

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Based on the below Sturm comment, I take it that McCarthy mostly just nodded and went along with whatever rudimentary game plan Bucky pieced together.

I cant fault MM for that, if JJ is in love with KM, there is nothing Mike can do but than again he should have never have signed on

Cotton

Staff member
I thought I made it clear when I quoted the post with the person you were responding to, and mentioned it was right after the Redskins game. He seems to be causing a ruckus in this thread again. :lol
You quoted me. That's why I was confused. But, I get you now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm not arguing they were some great team. But they didn't have to beat all those bad teams, either. Garrett played against a crap division most of his decade and usually went 8-8.

And is it Mike's fault that Zeke (and Tyron) fell off the cliff about when he got here? Now maybe not playing Pollard more is his fault, but we don't know if Jerry was forcing that or not.

I have no particular love for MM. If you can get someone better, go for it. But I don't think this one year means he should be fired. I'd rather see Moore gone so at least we know whose offense it is.
And Moore has had ample time and opportunity to hone his craft. And at this point, I’m not impressed any longer. He comes up small at the crucial juncture.

Genghis Khan

And Moore has had ample time and opportunity to hone his craft. And at this point, I’m not impressed any longer. He comes up small at the crucial juncture.

I don't think he has had ample time. It's why hiring him as OC was a gamble in the first place. It reminds me a little of when Sean Payton was OC for the Giants and Fassel had to take play calling away from him. Some guys just need more seasoning.

I believe Moore can be a good OC at the very least. But I don't think he's one right now and I think he needs a lot more experience.

I'm just so frigging tired of coaches learning on the job around here.

Top Bottom