Sturm: Five days later, thoughts on Mike McCarthy and where I went wrong again

data

Forbes #1
Sacrifices should be reserved for Cowboy game days.
We have to endure this shit for another 7 months?

How about an unprecedented draft day sacrifice? Had this been done in 2017, you’d be wearing a TJ Watt Cowboys jersey

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We have to endure this shit for another 7 months?

How about an unprecedented draft day sacrifice? Had this been done in 2017, you’d be wearing a TJ Watt Cowboys jersey
My patience is wearing thin, so we will see.

data

Forbes #1
@Shiningstar

1. Favorite Dallas Cowboy of all-time
2. Favorite Super Bowl team of all-time
3. If you could change one Cowboys loss into a win, which game would it be?
4. How many Cowboys jerseys do you own
5. Rank these Cowboys QBs in terms of who’s the best - Meredith, Aikman, White, Staubach.
6. Is the Cowboys helmet silver or metallic silver blue?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
@Shiningstar

5. Rank these Cowboys QBs in terms of who’s the best - Meredith, Aikman, White, Staubach.
A pop quiz instead of an entrance exam?

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
@Shiningstar

Bill Bates

93-94 team

None, we are a fabric of history both wins and losses, our losses are just as great as wins

Aikman, Staubach, Meredith White

metallic silver blue

data

Forbes #1
None, we are a fabric of history both wins and losses, our losses are just as great as wins
I don’t agree, but props for the philosophical lesson.

data

Forbes #1
we dont have to agree, but i respect your opinion as well
Unfortunately, we have so many iconic losses, changing one loss to a win doesn’t ruin the effect

Well, maybe not

If we had won the Ice Bowl and win Super Bowl II, we wouldn’t be Next Years Champions. If we had won 1978, Steelers wouldn’t be Team of the 70s and the HOF would look different for a few players, too. One of these two games would have significant changes

Other than those two games, even if you change The Catch,the 49ers would still dominate the 80s and we still would’ve sucked in the late 80s leading to Jerruh and Jimmuh.

Winning 1994 for the three peat doesn’t change much, I think, even if we completed the fourpeat. Of course this group would be held in higher regard historically, but we still would’ve fallen apart late 90s with Jerruhs drafting.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Unfortunately, we have so many iconic losses, changing one loss to a win doesn’t ruin the effect

Well, maybe not

If we had won the Ice Bowl and win Super Bowl II, we wouldn’t be Next Years Champions. If we had won 1978, Steelers wouldn’t be Team of the 70s and the HOF would look different for a few players, too. One of these two games would have significant changes

Other than those two games, even if you change The Catch,the 49ers would still dominate the 80s and we still would’ve sucked in the late 80s leading to Jerruh and Jimmuh.

Winning 1994 for the three peat doesn’t change much, I think, even if we completed the fourpeat. Of course this group would be held in higher regard historically, but we still would’ve fallen apart late 90s with Jerruhs drafting.
see what i mean, you jsut wrote it more elegantly and i learned something from that.

the two losses that still sting me were not big games, but stung badly, both are Parcells led teams, the Redskins game where Moss beat us by himself practucally, and the game against the Jags where we dominated the first half but totally ruined it in the second

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I mean we need to keep showing progress. That's the biggest thing. If we continue the up and down ride like we have every other year than nothing has changed.
If a team keeps showing progress over 25 years, or even over 4 or 5 years, at some point they run out of room and reach the Super Bowl. Yes?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have a radical thought that might get me tarred and feathered, but what if this isn't the end of the world? MM has been here two years, one of which was impossible to do anything because of injuries. So his first year with a viable team he goes 12-5. Yes, they lost in the first round. But are we sure that invalidates everything?

If the team lays a big egg next year I get it, but I'm not sure you throw everything out because you don't win a playoff game in basically your first year of having any reasonable chance.

No, I think you're exactly right.

We're all disappointed because we feel like this team underachieved. And they did indeed underachieve.

That doesn't mean everything associated with the team this year is worthless. They definitely have some things to build off of.

I do think they need to change some things but they have a good launching point.

The talent on this team is good. Parsons, Dak, Zeke, Diggs, Lawrence, Gregory, gallimore, Cooper, Lamb, Tyron, martin, Collins. I mean, this is a very talented core - mostly still in or even just entering their prime. And that's not even mentioning other very good players like Schultz, Gallup and Kearse who may or may not return.

The coaches have to figure it out though. They could have this year and unfortunately didn't. The good news is the HC has a good track record. Let's see how next season plays out.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I have a radical thought that might get me tarred and feathered, but what if this isn't the end of the world? MM has been here two years, one of which was impossible to do anything because of injuries. So his first year with a viable team he goes 12-5. Yes, they lost in the first round. But are we sure that invalidates everything?

If the team lays a big egg next year I get it, but I'm not sure you throw everything out because you don't win a playoff game in basically your first year of having any reasonable chance.
There's nothing wrong with this idea at all.

The problem is, if the Jerry circus is having the same effect on McCarthy that it's had on everyone not named Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells, then he's of no real use to us.

If he gets fired he is still going to get paid a ton of money so I don't get why he doesn't put his foot down. Hell, lie for now then change it up on when the season starts and just do whatever the hell you want to.

What is Jerry going to do at that point? Fire you?

Let him try.

Imagine the backlash that Jerry would be under if he fires a guy when they're 3-1 or 6-2 because he's not listening to management.

It would be the single biggest story in sports if that were to occur.

So I hope he grows a fucking pair and just decides to do what he wants to do.

If not, it'll be the same old same old yet again.

Top Bottom