Sturm: Five days later, thoughts on Mike McCarthy and where I went wrong again

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean we need to keep showing progress. That's the biggest thing. If we continue the up and down ride like we have every other year than nothing has changed.
It is pretty easy to see we will get to the point later in the offseason where Jones will just talk about we might be better, but our record won't reflect it.

data

Forbes #1
Name the worst owner (in terms of getting involved with football operations/personnel) to win a Super Bowl in the last 25 years

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is pretty easy to see we will get to the point later in the offseason where Jones will just talk about we might be better, but our record won't reflect it.
The record doesn't need to be better but we need to be better against good teams. We all know the NFC East was shit and we plowed through it for 6 easy wins. Bit that doesn't mean much come playoff time.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Pretty much. Building on a "foundation" means you are fundamentally sound there.

We don't have a foundation offensively. It's not our QB. It's not our OL. It's not our WRs. It definitely is not the RB.

That whole side of the football is supposed to be his baby and it was dysfunctional to put it mildly.

We got to 12 wins due in large part to an opportunistic defense and playing half our schedule (and more) against trash.

12-5 looks great. But then you see the lack of more than a couple quality wins (NE, maybe the Chargers, maybe the Vikings and you realize they went 1-4 against playoff teams.
I'm not arguing they were some great team. But they didn't have to beat all those bad teams, either. Garrett played against a crap division most of his decade and usually went 8-8.

And is it Mike's fault that Zeke (and Tyron) fell off the cliff about when he got here? Now maybe not playing Pollard more is his fault, but we don't know if Jerry was forcing that or not.

I have no particular love for MM. If you can get someone better, go for it. But I don't think this one year means he should be fired. I'd rather see Moore gone so at least we know whose offense it is.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I have a radical thought that might get me tarred and feathered, but what if this isn't the end of the world? MM has been here two years, one of which was impossible to do anything because of injuries. So his first year with a viable team he goes 12-5. Yes, they lost in the first round. But are we sure that invalidates everything?

If the team lays a big egg next year I get it, but I'm not sure you throw everything out because you don't win a playoff game in basically your first year of having any reasonable chance.
It wouldn't be the end of the world if the same thing hadn't been going on since the late '90s. If there'd even been an occasional divisional playoff game, or, God forbid, an NFC championship game, okay, maybe not. But still . . .

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It wouldn't be the end of the world if the same thing hadn't been going on since the late '90s. If there'd even been an occasional divisional playoff game, or, God forbid, an NFC championship game, okay, maybe not. But still . . .
So MM should pay for the past sins of Campo, Garrett, etc.?

I get it, Jerry isn't changing. And God knows I'm not arguing in favor of him. Just saying give the current group more time before you get rid of them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not arguing they were some great team. But they didn't have to beat all those bad teams, either. Garrett played against a crap division most of his decade and usually went 8-8.
Wait, are we supposed to be cheered up by the idea he's better than Garrett? Garrett had his years of perfect records against probably better NFC East teams. Garrett won 3 NFC East titles and went 13-5 against the division in his last three seasons. That is how Garrett clung to the side of the bowl by always teasing playoffs. McCarthy has a pretty low ceiling to jump towards. Not that he can jump, mind you.

And is it Mike's fault that Zeke (and Tyron) fell off the cliff about when he got here?
No, it's his fault he did not use Pollard despite the contract totem pole depth chart we use. He also underestimated once again how you cannot depend on him ever playing more than 12 games and didn't have a great plan for it. Again....money plays. He is a victim of it. But I don't think he has a big enough set of balls to ever make Jerry Jones walk on eggshells.

Now maybe not playing Pollard more is his fault, but we don't know if Jerry was forcing that or not.
We kind of do. I don't see why on earth McCarthy would value a celebrity RB. He never had one in GB.

I have no particular love for MM.
Given what we are going to have to deal with, you are a goddamn Fat Mike apologist.

If you can get someone better, go for it. But I don't think this one year means he should be fired. I'd rather see Moore gone so at least we know whose offense it is.
Well, we know that ain't happening either. What now?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Okay, so fire him. Who do you hire and why do they make things better?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There is no answer to this. That's why this is all emotionally based and not based in reality.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is no answer to this. That's why this is all emotionally based and not based in reality.
Of course it is. In all likelihood he sticks around and falls on his fat ass eventually.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life

the only way we win is if JJ does two things, of which he wont.

First is call the media for a breaking news, he says my first act of my last two acts is that i hired GM, and my last act is I Jerry Jones, have fired myself and any of my family working here, my children will still collect the royalties but no one of the jones family will be directly involved with the Dallas Cowboys team, or day to day operations. I am leaving the team in others peoples hands so that we may finally be successful. When i leave here, its the last time as GM of the Dallas Cowboys, i wish the organization success as thsi family has brought nothing but despair and failure to this organization. Good bye.

Top Bottom