Sturm: Examining the Cowboys’ run game - Where it has been and where it needs to go

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ARLINGTON, TEXAS - OCTOBER 30:  Dak Prescott #4 hands off the ball to Tony Pollard #20 of the Dallas Cowboys during a game against the Chicago Bears at AT&T Stadium on October 30, 2022 in Arlington, Texas. The Cowboys defeated the Bears 49-29. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

By Bob Sturm
5h ago

Let’s begin our next phase of the year with a step into our “educational and informational” time of year.

You see, if you are in the football world, you are either in the personnel business, the playing business or the rest of us. And each of those three groups have a different agenda from late May until training camp.

Let’s briefly break it down:

1. Personnel departments (scouts, etc.): Once OTAs start, you are doing two things depending on your specific duty. Either you are in pro personnel or college. If you are in the college group, it is easy. Start all over. You just cleaned out your 2023 filing cabinet, and now, without delay, you proceed to your next 1,000 potential draft candidates for next year. If you ever have known a scout, you know they are tireless and diligent. The work never stops. If you are on the pro side, you are already working on other teams’ rosters — specifically the knowledge of the 90-man rosters and who is unlikely to make the cut to 53 with their current teams. Every department will make a specific list of guys they might have missed out on, that they will closely monitor for every position on the roster. You can bet that they have a list a few feet long with potential kickers, for instance. The pro scouting side should be able to tell you a story about the other 31 teams’ roster situations or they are not doing their job very well.
https://theathletic.com/4545006/2023/05/25/cowboys-tyron-smith-offensive-line/
2. Players and coaches: You know about OTAs and the installation of the offense, defense and special teams that teams want completed before training camp. All the Cowboys want to have to do in California is a quick review before you hit the ground running with a full training camp in late July, so they have a bit more work to do on campus between now and then. From there, the coaches take some family time (not too much!) and put the finishing touches on the full camp plan as well as side projects (we assume how to deal with the Eagles’ running game will be well up the list). The players finish this job and then get time to either find a beach or keep working to improve with their personal coaches and plans. There is not much time to take off if you are serious about your craft at this level.

3. The rest of us: Two subsets in this group — normies and sickos. Choose which side you are on, but if you are normal, you enjoy baseball, family, sunshine, golf or maybe a book. Football season is coming and this is definitely the “down time.” Drink it all up. I am definitely always excited about two purposes for my NFL work (although I do make time for golf):

• To continue on projects I have meant to do this offseason, but have yet to actually knock out. One was last week’s Tyron Smith piece, but there are plenty more coming including ones on Brandin Cooks, Trevon Diggs, Tyler Smith and Micah Parsons. Plenty of those items coming.

• The next eight weeks are my annual educational and informational phases which will be reflected in my writing. Since 2005, I use June and July to ramp up my education in this great game. I pick different activities that I want to learn more about and read and consume as much as I can. This summer’s projects are going to start with a full education of the running game (some I am familiar with and some I don’t know much about) and also an examination of Dak Prescott’s QB play at Mississippi State in 2014-15 (How was he used as a player? What did he do well? What does he do differently in 2023 that he didn’t do in 2015?). I have plenty on my plate that you will see here.

Since we are riffing today, I want to dive more into that Cowboys running game exploration project. Over the course of upcoming weeks, we will do plenty more of the X’s and O’s involved.
https://theathletic.com/4540821/2023/05/23/cowboys-offense-brian-schottenheimer/
An examination of the Cowboys’ running game

To know what we are studying, it is always important to compare with the rest of the sport. The example I would use is some basic baseball stats. If you tell someone on the street who doesn’t know the game that this guy gets a hit 3 of every 10 chances, that person would assume he is not very good at getting hits (unless they understood the context and difficulty of baseball). Another example is a bad offensive lineman only gives up two sacks in 60 plays. He is successful 58 of the 60 plays or 97 percent of the time. Yet, he is not capable of playing at this level. These two examples show us that context is everything.

With that in mind, the Cowboys called the second-most run plays in 2022 in the NFL behind only Atlanta. That is different than total runs, because many teams run either/or plays (run-pass options or even scrambles from pass calls) that add to their total. From that standpoint, Dallas had the sixth-most runs. Either way, they Cowboys are really heavy into their run game.

As you see below, the green line represents the entire league’s average runs per game over a five-year trend. It keeps rising year over year (we believe it is the RPO world we live in). Obviously, it is cyclical, but the NFL is in a running phase (relatively). The blue line shows the Cowboys’ five-year trend. They have been headed north of the NFL line for a long time, but 2022 was remarkable. They went way above league average.

Thirty-one runs per game! Here is what is interesting. You might be thinking the Cowboys ran the ball a ton when Cooper Rush was filling in for Prescott to protect a backup QB. That is sort of correct. But check this out:

Games started by Rush rushes per game: 29.2 (49.3 percent of plays)

Games started by Prescott rushes per game: 31.6 (44.4 percent of plays)

The Cowboys ran the ball less with Rush, but proportionally more and ran it more with Prescott, but proportionally less. I know, I know.

Here is where you can really see it. With Rush, on first down, the Cowboys ran the ball 62.1 percent of the time, which is way above the NFL average rush on first down (51 percent). With Prescott, the Cowboys were still well above of the league at greater than 55 percent.

Now, due to advances in the way we cover the NFL, we know the concepts that each team loves to run and have specifics on those stats. Both Pro Football Focus and NFL’s Next Gen have assisted us in better understanding this. Over the course of the upcoming weeks, I will dive into the most common run concepts the Cowboys have used, but also I admit that we don’t fully know how that will change in 2023 with a largely new offensive coaching staff.

But, before we do that, we should spend our remaining time on the most important takeaway. In the last few years, we know two conflicting truths: Dallas loves running the ball, but is bad at running the ball. Let’s examine that.

There are two reasonable ways to measure an overall running game. Total EPA and Success Rate. The NFL had the same leaderboard in both categories last year and I bet you would concur it meets the eye test, too.
https://theathletic.com/4553815/2023/05/26/cowboys-otas-offense-dak-prescott/
In both categories, those three teams were the best in the business at running the football. We know the Eagles were the best all year and it got them very close to winning a Super Bowl. Baltimore has been a leader for years at creative and effective ways to run the rock and Atlanta has Arthur Smith (and now, Bijan Robinson) so they know what’s up.

But, the Cowboys?

We told you how much they love running the ball. They called more running plays than 30 teams (trailing only Atlanta). How did they perform? Well, 10th in EPA and 21st in Success Rate.

It gets worse.

We told you how much the Cowboys love running the ball on first down. The league runs the ball 51.4 percent of the time on first down and Dallas is more than 57 percent. Surely, that is because it is good at it, right?

No. Dallas is 27th in total EPA on first-down runs and 25th in Success Rate. Our friends in Philadelphia were third in EPA and No. 1 in Success Rate on first down.
Why? What caused the Cowboys to be so bad at that? And worse, what caused them to be so stubborn, despite knowing how bad they were at it?

From Nov. 1, as the season was weighing in the balance, the Cowboys’ first-down run rankings in those two important categories were a ridiculous 30th and 29th. The only teams worse at running the ball? Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Houston.

Gross. And now you know why Dallas pretty much fired the entire offensive staff.

Next time, let’s look at what plays Dallas liked to call and which ones worked.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
"From Nov. 1, as the season was weighing in the balance, the Cowboys’ first-down run rankings in those two important categories were a ridiculous 30th and 29th. The only teams worse at running the ball? Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Houston.

And now you know why Dallas pretty much fired the entire offensive staff."

But wait a minute, McCarthy's been the HC for two years. How come it took him -- or somebody -- two years to figure all this out? And now McCarthy's saying his offensive philosophy is he wants to "run the damn ball" -- when the record clearly shows they sucked at running the ball. McCarthy indirectly threw shade at Moore for being too trigger happy, wanting to "light up the score board," when that obviously wasn't the case.

Now there's no more Zeke, question marks on the OL. Something doesn't add up here.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"From Nov. 1, as the season was weighing in the balance, the Cowboys’ first-down run rankings in those two important categories were a ridiculous 30th and 29th. The only teams worse at running the ball? Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Houston.

And now you know why Dallas pretty much fired the entire offensive staff."

But wait a minute, McCarthy's been the HC for two years. How come it took him -- or somebody -- two years to figure all this out? And now McCarthy's saying his offensive philosophy is he wants to "run the damn ball" -- when the record clearly shows they sucked at running the ball. McCarthy indirectly threw shade at Moore for being too trigger happy, wanting to "light up the score board," when that obviously wasn't the case.
Is this a leading question? Because the answer is obvious. Yes, McCarthy is an offensive HC. But Jerry insisted that his boy (and Dak BFF) call plays and run the offense. I'm sure McCarthy was in his ear on things, but Kellen had autonomy there.

And as the stat you posted shows, in crunch time when it mattered, Moore reverted to throwing the ball. He was near last in the league in running on first down. That does show a desire to light up the scoreboard.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Is this a leading question? Because the answer is obvious. Yes, McCarthy is an offensive HC. But Jerry insisted that his boy (and Dak BFF) call plays and run the offense. I'm sure McCarthy was in his ear on things, but Kellen had autonomy there.

And as the stat you posted shows, in crunch time when it mattered, Moore reverted to throwing the ball. He was near last in the league in running on first down. That does show a desire to light up the scoreboard.
I guess the answer wasn't obvious to me because I wasn't sitting in on the meetings where Jerry mandated to McCarthy that his boy Moore (and Dak BFF) had autonomy and that McCarthy had to abdicate his role in the offense. Those must have been some meetings, watching McCarthy swallow his pride as Jerry lays down the law.

Without having been in on those meetings, I don't know how anyone could know for sure how any of that transpired.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I guess the answer wasn't obvious to me because I wasn't sitting in on the meetings where Jerry mandated to McCarthy that his boy Moore (and Dak BFF) had autonomy and that McCarthy had to abdicate his role in the offense. Those must have been some meetings, watching McCarthy swallow his pride as Jerry lays down the law.

Without having been in on those meetings, I don't know how anyone could know for sure how any of that transpired.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk there.

None of us were in on the meetings, obviously. But we've talked for years now about how McCarthy has talked about how hard it is to not call plays (like he once swore he would never give up again) and how he's made little comments in PCs about how he wishes he were still doing it. I admit I believed it when McCarthy said at first he was all on board with this setup of keeping Kellen, but I was wrong.

I thought you were just setting up more Jerry-bashing.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
We told you how much the Cowboys love running the ball on first down. The league runs the ball 51.4 percent of the time on first down and Dallas is more than 57 percent. Surely, that is because it is good at it, right?

No. Dallas is 27th in total EPA on first-down runs and 25th in Success Rate. Our friends in Philadelphia were third in EPA and No. 1 in Success Rate on first down.

Why? What caused the Cowboys to be so bad at that? And worse, what caused them to be so stubborn, despite knowing how bad they were at it?
I'm guessing because Zeke was a fat slug.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk there.

None of us were in on the meetings, obviously. But we've talked for years now about how McCarthy has talked about how hard it is to not call plays (like he once swore he would never give up again) and how he's made little comments in PCs about how he wishes he were still doing it. I admit I believed it when McCarthy said at first he was all on board with this setup of keeping Kellen, but I was wrong.

I thought you were just setting up more Jerry-bashing.
Jerry sets himself up for bashing. He deserves every bit of it he gets. Typically when a new HC comes in, he hires or brings his own staff, which would include an OC. If Jerry made his hiring conditional on keeping Moore, then two things are true. McCarthy is a gelding for allowing that to happen, and Jerry simply reinforces what a shitful GM he's been for the last 30 years.

I never believed Moore had any street cred whatsoever as an OC. Supposedly McCarthy expressed an interest in keeping him when Garrett got canned. Who knows if that's true. Sounds like a story planted by Jerry's front office.

ZeroClub

UFA
For what it is worth, just last week McCarthy used the term "Dak language" as McCarthy explained that the offense was undergoing adjustments but that the basic language ("Dak language") used for the offense was not changing.

I'm guessing because Zeke was a fat slug.
I was going to say it differently, but yeah, some of it was on his decline. Which means that some of it was on a front office that didn't foresee the decline. Mostly, though, it seemed like Sturm wanted to bash coaches in this column.

Also, the Cowboys had 24 rushing TDs in 2022, which was second highest in the entire NFL. Sturm's "examination of the Cowboys’ running game" didn't mention that. Seems like a significant omission. Must not have fit into his narrative.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Also, the Cowboys had 24 rushing TDs in 2022, which was second highest in the entire NFL. Sturm's "examination of the Cowboys’ running game" didn't mention that. Seems like a significant omission. Must not have fit into his narrative.
Nice.

What's also missing from all these stats is you sometimes need to batter the defense with a blunt instrument to keep them guessing or maybe to make them submit.

Zeke couldn't do that regularly, but in early games vs Washington and the Rams he got a lot of carries right into the teeth of the defense and it definitely burned clock, kept the defense honest, and left some of them a little bruised.

That has to be Jones and maybe Luepke now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
YPC in the final 4 games plus playoffs last season.

DNP

Man Zeke was really holding us back with that production.

Oh wait, those were Pollard's numbers.

Anyone trying to just pin all the problems running the ball on Zeke hasn't been paying attention closely enough.

Clearly there was a bigger problem with the running game.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Despite losing some tread off his tires, last year Zeke was pretty good near the goal line and in short yardage. Problem was, he wasn't worth all the money. Maybe the problem with the running game, instead, was how predictable it was, which is a holdover from Garrett and Moore -- the asinine Garrett philosophy of a whole offense boiling down to beating the guy in front of you.

I swear I used to watch Garrett's offense run out on the field after a change of possession. First down. I'd look at the formation, turn to my wife and say: running play. Sure enough, it would get stuffed. I think Moore carried that same unimaginative predictability into McCarthy's first two seasons, which is McCarthy's fault.

p1_

DCC 4Life
YPC in the final 4 games plus playoffs last season.

DNP

Man Zeke was really holding us back with that production.

Oh wait, those were Pollard's numbers.

Anyone trying to just pin all the problems running the ball on Zeke hasn't been paying attention closely enough.

Clearly there was a bigger problem with the running game.
his last four games as a Cowboy:

ATTYDSAVGTDLNG
50​
100​
2​
1​
9​

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
his last four games as a Cowboy:

ATTYDSAVGTDLNG
50​
100​
2​
1​
9​

The point is that no one was running well. But I keep seeing guys saying it was all about Zeke.

ZeroClub

UFA
The point is that no one was running well. But I keep seeing guys saying it was all about Zeke.
I think Zeke will be missed in short yardage and pass protection.

During games, announcers have often said that Dak is especially good against the blitz. It's true, but at the same time, it's easier to beat the blitz if your RB is excellent in blitz pick up. Without Zeke, this team had better figure out how to run a screen successfully because there's a good chance they'll need it more than before.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What, the big screen Elliott scored on against the Steelers isn’t enough for you?
Huge plays like that or Felix Jones' screen to the house vs the Giants underscore how ridiculous it is that it's not a staple of our offense. We'd get this amazing play, and then never try it again.

Landry's Cowboys could at any time run a screen in response to most any situation in any direction with just about any RB. Even if it didn't score, it often backed defenses out of aggressive pure pass-rush stances.

The practice began to die when giant and less mobile OL came into the picture in the late 80's, and then Norv's offenses, and by extension Garrett's derivatives since, seemed to ditch the practice altogether in favor of focusing downfield.

Pollard would be fantastic at screens, and Deuce looks tailor-made for them as well. Can't imagine athletic linemen like Martin or Tyron would have had any problems executing them

Top Bottom