Sturm - Cowboys draft mailbag: The best team-building strategy? Making best use of Round 5 picks?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys draft mailbag: The best team-building strategy? Making best use of Round 5 picks?

By Bob Sturm Apr 15, 2022

In my efforts to make sure we get as many players broken down properly as possible, I have probably neglected our Friday get-togethers a bit too much. So for the next several weeks (probably not the actual Friday morning of the draft), let’s fix this as much as we can with some mailbag responses for 10-12 of the best questions of the week from our loyal readers. We don’t have much here at The Athletic if it isn’t for all of you, so I need to do better to make sure you feel loved.
Here we go.

Looking at the past 30 years — do you think the Cowboys are too reactive and slow to innovate when you examine their strategy for team construction? They were late to react to the salary cap by overpaying aging players in the late 90s. They were late to adopt the Patriots/Packers strategy of building through the draft and paying their own. Now I worry that they might be late to other innovations to team-building strategy because they are so slow to adapt (ie. paying RBs when the rest of the league already stopped). I don’t necessarily think they should be chasing the Rams strategy, but I would just like to see more innovation and aggressiveness out of them. — Nick M

Thank you, Nick. Good place to start here. I would argue that overall, the Cowboys do a decent job of stealing solid ideas and tactics from the successful teams. Very few teams are at the cutting edge of innovation themselves and those teams are often there because of complete desperation. The Cowboys have almost never seen desperation up close since 1989, so they have done what most teams do — observe and steal. No problem at all with that. We have seen them walk away from the “get rich quick” schemes of free agency and realized the importance of their draft and develop program which I would argue is nothing worse than solid. People want to go on and on about Taco Charlton or Mo Claiborne, but if you put them up against most teams with regards to building with college prospects for long-term success, they can stand on their merits.

The issues for this franchise are only at the playoff level. That is a great spot to be in, but also a frustrating one. Is team building the culprit for such an issue? If it is, we could argue it is at a dozen other places, too. We see in every sport how one play decides championships and legacies and the Cowboys’ day has not come for a really long time. Yes, I am frustrated with the Cowboys ownership and their constant self-sabotage, but I must also admit that there is a difference between a league doormat franchise and one that just can’t get over a January problem. Dallas certainly has a January problem, but half the league would love to be able to say that.
As for the Rams situation, they had a new stadium and a pretty indifferent city to impress so they went all-in because millions and maybe billions were at stake. We could argue Las Vegas feels the same way about the Raiders and that is why they are trying to make noise that might not be smart. Dallas has never been that desperate to impress its fans because the fans have always bought everything they were asked to buy. When that happens, they never fully fail financially and if you are the most valuable franchise in sports, there is little incentive to the rich family to have a serious look in the mirror. We say they are failing at what should matter, but the financial statements disagree on what does matter. One last thing, when it comes to innovation, the entire season of Micah Parsons will attest that they are certainly willing to move from any sort of stubborn usage.

At some point, I hope to see the Cowboys use their extra fifth-round picks to move around in the draft. What scenario could you envision this coming to fruition? — Lewis L

The Cowboys have four fifth-round picks this year because of compensatory picks and the Amari Cooper trade. They can use them as currency to move up a bit here and there in the early rounds, but I want to caution people what we are looking at so we don’t think our nickels are actually worth $20 bills. Using the point chart for each pick, the Cowboys are said to have about 1,374 draft points to work with this year. Of those, 740 are the 24th pick (first round) and 340 are the 56th pick (second round). So, yes they have nine drive picks but 1,080 of the 1,374 points are those first two picks which is roughly 79 percent of their assets. Add in another 150 points for the 88th pick and we are to 90 percent of your assets. That means that the final six picks of the 2022 allotment combine to make up the other 10 percent of their haul. So, you can use those fifth-rounders to bump up 2-3 spots in the early rounds, but not much more than that. In the first round, when you sit at No. 24 you could probably jump to 21 if you combine a few fifths and package them together. If you wish to do it in the second round, you might be able to double the slots you could jump. But, I don’t want to offer an unreasonable expectation for what those nickels are worth. They are still worth about a nickel.

Bob, as we know the Cowboys have preferred to not commit significant assets to one-technique tackles and safeties. It seems Dan Quinn may have changed Jerry’s mind about safeties, a bit, but this club is crying for someone who can take on double teams inside and get penetration. Is there any hope that like the safety position we might see a change of heart pertaining to one-technique tackles? After the manner in which the season ended, this seemed like a spot ripe for improvement that doesn’t get talked about often. — Henry F

Henry, we will certainly note that big Jordan Davis has visited Dallas and probably would be in contention if he lasts to the 24th pick. I would not be shocked at all if the Cowboys looked in that very sizable direction if he is available when they are up to select. I submit that as you said, Dan Quinn’s presence has changed things quite a bit. This is an interesting element of following the Cowboys over the long term. Many of us still remember the Felix Jones pick or the David LaFleur pick, but in NFL terms those were ancient history. In fact, LaFleur is 48 years old which does make his selection ancient history in the 1997 draft.

Two questions. First, what’s the main difference you see between McCarthy and Garrett? Second, the past two drafts’ first round seemed to be best player available. What player has a realistic chance of being there that would make them scrap their draft plans? — Gil A

Gil, the biggest difference is easy for me when regarding McCarthy and Garrett. Maybe I will break it down in long elaboration this offseason, but for now, let me offer the answer. McCarthy is as aggressive as they come and Garrett was as conservative as they come. We see this in many ways, but basically one player is folding in every hand that he doesn’t have the cards and the other is trying to win every pot. You can definitely see that both extremes have their faults, but there you go. I prefer aggression, but I also know you do have to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. As for something that would make them scrap their plans? Well, I bet a top cornerback might make them do that. What if the highly unlikely scenario of LSU’s Derek Stingley sliding in this draft ended up on their doorstep? That would be on-brand of Dallas to consider that strongly.

The question is, before I let them sucker me into thinking that they’ve learned anything from the past few years, is there ANY evidence that Jerry has learned not to throw money at less important positions and to let his head coach actually coach? I’m desperate for a reason to care about who Dallas drafts without the fatalistic expectation that front-office meddling makes it all moot. — Stephen H

Stephen, unfortunately, at the end of the day the owner of the team is always going to have an opinion. I admit it would be pretty cool if he would just pay all the bills and then leave the room, but we know that doesn’t happen anywhere and it will never happen here. What have they learned? Well, given that most of us think that they have Sean Payton on speed dial, probably very little. But, we should also understand that they have a pretty decent roster with pretty decent coaches and that gives them a pretty decent chance of springing up in a league where that happens every year. I don’t totally know how to answer your question without being disingenuous about progress with the people that run this thing, but the Cowboys are, in fact, in the mix. But, yes, they also are insisting Ezekiel Elliott makes more sense than Tony Pollard and that Terence Steele is better than La’el Collins because Collins annoyed them one time too many. So, here we are.

Could you see a scenario where Dallas takes OL Kenyon Green at 24, John Metchie the WR from Bama in the second, and be able to get Sam Williams DL from Ole Miss in the third? — Andrew S

I can definitely see that, but I think you can probably do even better than Metchie in Round 2. Otherwise, all of those seem like very reasonable possibilities. I do expect Round 1 and Round 2 going to offense with one of them being on the offensive line and the other being a “weapon” to supplement this offensive attack. There are ways to do this and your premise is not a bad one at all. In our remaining two weeks before the draft, I promise to play with some mock draft simulators to try to hash this one out a bit.

How much of a priority would you make signing Dalton Schultz to a long-term contract be? Would you be comfortable letting him play this year on the tag and potentially paying him even more next year? Really hoping we just give him a market value contract now instead of having another Dak Prescott situation. — Jasmyne E

I personally would be careful about that as I am not as convinced they would ever feel that Schultz on a long-term deal is a tight end who troubles opponents. I think one way to handle this is to be aware that you could upgrade the position on Day 2 of the draft and perhaps have Schultz on a one-year tag and let 2022 determine your future. Because tight end contracts do not escalate anywhere close to the rate of quarterbacks, I think drafting a tight end in the second or third and then seeing how the two handle this upcoming season might be a great way to look to the future by next January. If you are convinced that Schultz is more than a security blanket for Prescott and an actual dangerous offensive piece, then you approach him about a long-term deal. Otherwise, you hand the job to the rookie for full-time use in 2023 at a significantly cheaper price. But, that depends on them finding a prospect they want to invest in and that, of course, will keep them from addressing something else on the roster.

Does any of it matter? Free agents, trades, the draft? Do we waste our time and energy on all of it when Jerry and Fam are toxic and will just derail it all anyway? I know, I know, it’s not fair to the current roster, but we all know that roster has changed, the coaches have changed, but you know what hasn’t? Jerry and Fam Co … — Bryce T

Bryce, it all matters. I understand the defeat and the negative stance on where this franchise is, but you have to understand that you follow the most volatile league in sports where teams rise and fall like the tides and anything and everything is possible. I am not ever going to tell you that it doesn’t matter because this is what I do for a living. I follow this league very closely and I will tell you that 32 teams are racing every day to find little advantages and to try to change fortunes to fill hopeless fans with belief. Obviously, some are much better than others, but there are many hopeless things in life as we all get older. But, your team — especially since you root for one of the most famous in the entire world — will win again. It is a matter of when and not if — trust me.

Why haven’t the Cowboys signed a starting iOL in free agency to take pressure off drafting for need in Round 1? — Walton W

Oh, I don’t think they have to do anything for that to happen. You should see the list of unsigned free agents out there who are being made to wait until after the draft. Free agency has really changed over the years and while the upper crust will always make its money, the rank and file group is massive and unemployed. If we are talking about a one-year veteran to attempt to be a stop-gap starter at left guard, you can probably find that guy after the draft. He isn’t going to be incredibly highly regarded across the league, but that is OK. We have to get away from thinking every offensive line situation has to be a top-100 pick. Maybe Terence Steele is a player to think about for what can be found on Day 3 or in the back storage rooms of talent acquisition. You should not have to pay top dollar for every spot up front. And your head coach has always believed this as his team started players found with picks 109, 109, 161 and 122 at his last spot. David Bakhtiari, TJ Lang, Corey Linsley, and J.C. Tretter worked out pretty well for him in Green Bay.

Seen turnover at key positions this year. Does the FO think that the Super Bowl is a realistic target this year or are they secretly aiming for 2023? — Sam C

It isn’t a very well-kept secret. I think they are making a few moves that almost seem to accelerate the Sean Payton era, but I would like to be wrong. I think it is crazy to spend the picks they would need to get the Saints to allow him to coach here to get that done, but the affairs of the heart are at play here and they have been making eyes at Payton from across the room for ages. I definitely see a scenario where the next 12 months push them to chase this latest butterfly. That said, this is a very talented team that has a chance to be very good in a division that will not be very good (again). We should not be shocked in an NFC that has sent away many of its QBs to the AFC if the Cowboys are near the top of the conference, in my opinion. Oh, and they won 12 games last year and everyone seems to act like they were pretty awful.

Are there any of the draft picks from last year that didn’t do much that are expected/likely to show up and make an impact this year? — Chris C

Well, until yesterday, Kelvin Joseph was my easy answer. His news cycle is obviously a massive issue this morning. But, there are a number of pieces that were essentially redshirted last year that I am very excited about. Jabril Cox should be excellent. Chauncey Golston is a very strong prospect. Nahshon Wright has potential and Dan Quinn was a huge proponent of him. Quinton Bohanna offers intrigue and Josh Ball might be the swing tackle prospect that absolutely nobody is discussing. I think we have yet to see much of the 2021 draft behind Micah Parsons and Osa Odighizuwa and that is very exciting.

That is all I have for today, but continue to submit your questions and I will try to do another one of these very soon. Thanks and have a Happy Easter!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you see a scenario where Dallas takes OL Kenyon Green at 24, John Metchie the WR from Bama in the second, and be able to get Sam Williams DL from Ole Miss in the third? — Andrew S

I can definitely see that, but I think you can probably do even better than Metchie in Round 2. Otherwise, all of those seem like very reasonable possibilities. I do expect Round 1 and Round 2 going to offense with one of them being on the offensive line and the other being a “weapon” to supplement this offensive attack. There are ways to do this and your premise is not a bad one at all. In our remaining two weeks before the draft, I promise to play with some mock draft simulators to try to hash this one out a bit.
If the option is there I think I trade back in the first and get my guard. You can use the extra ammo to move up in the second round and get a premier guy earlier in the second like Pickens. And if it doesn't work out you likely have an extra day two pick to get a good player.

I just don't think Zion or Green go before 24 although I could be wrong.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If the option is there I think I trade back in the first and get my guard. You can use the extra ammo to move up in the second round and get a premier guy earlier in the second like Pickens. And if it doesn't work out you likely have an extra day two pick to get a good player.

I just don't think Zion or Green go before 24 although I could be wrong.
It is more possible if teams go after the WRs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And with the market on WRs what it is, I can see a run on WRs for those cheap rookie contracts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and that could be the problem. You trade down and WRs go on a run. Then maybe you consider WR with that traded down pick and trade up for the guard. I could see guards dropping because the NFL doesn't value the position highly.

Or you just have to buy time for a WR later. I think there could be a rush on WRs but then it will cool for awhile.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah and that could be the problem. You trade down and WRs go on a run. Then maybe you consider WR with that traded down pick and trade up for the guard. I could see guards dropping because the NFL doesn't value the position highly.

Or you just have to buy time for a WR later. I think there could be a rush on WRs but then it will cool for awhile.
The real issue is that the longer you wait for the WR, the more limited they will be. There are plenty of gadgety types but we have always struggled using them appropriately.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The real issue is that the longer you wait for the WR, the more limited they will be. There are plenty of gadgety types but we have always struggled using them appropriately.
Yeah it's why I worry about the thought that "hey we can just get a third rounder" I don't know if I feel safe that good ones will be left. I don't want to be taking a 24 year old Velus Jones Jr. in the third because he is the best left.

And that's not a knock on the player. I like him in say the fifth. But I don't want to be reaching at that point because we have a big need.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
WR's taken after the 3rd round almost never make a strong impact and extremely rarely do they become top receivers. Rod Smith comes to mind.

Recent drafts have been deep at WR, so you might get a Gallup in the 3rd in those situations, but they are rare.

That's why Cedric Wilson was such a win. A 5th round pick we actually got production from.

If the goal is to somehow replace Amari Cooper, then you have to be looking 1st round or early 2nd at the latest for a Pickens.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
WR's taken after the 3rd round almost never make a strong impact and extremely rarely do they become top receivers. Rod Smith comes to mind.

Recent drafts have been deep at WR, so you might get a Gallup in the 3rd in those situations, but they are rare.

That's why Cedric Wilson was such a win. A 5th round pick we actually got production from.

If the goal is to somehow replace Amari Cooper, then you have to be looking 1st round or early 2nd at the latest for a Pickens.
Most of the really good ones will come from the top 2 rounds. You might find a character flawed dude later who works out or a Diggs like steal (Just like any position) but most of your top NFL receivers come from the first couple rounds.

Top Bottom