Sturm: Cowboys delivered win No. 10 when things looked most bleak against a bad team

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We've exceeded expectations from what people thought about the team in the off-season because they fucked around with the personnel like idiots, but that doesn't mean the rest of the season is all gravy now. Because they have a 27 year albatross that they have to address.

And more importantly, they have to save the world from an eagles super bowl appearance.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We've exceeded expectations from what people thought about the team in the off-season because they fucked around with the personnel like idiots, but that doesn't mean the rest of the season is all gravy now. Because they have a 27 year albatross that they have to address.

And more importantly, they have to save the world from an eagles super bowl appearance.
It's almost impossible for us fans to separate but these players and coaches shouldn't be saddled with those 27 years of disappointment. Some of the guys can carry the burden of what happened in 2016 but for the most part it's irrelevant as it relates to this current team.

Obviously it's a different story as it relates to Jerry and so forth.

Genghis Khan

It's almost impossible for us fans to separate but these players and coaches shouldn't be saddled with those 27 years of disappointment. Some of the guys can carry the burden of what happened in 2016 but for the most part it's irrelevant as it relates to this current team.

Obviously it's a different story as it relates to Jerry and so forth.

If this was a 5 win team for the past few years I'd say yeah, everything beyond making the playoffs is gravy.

But aside from the 27 year legacy, this is also the same core that had 12 wins and a disappointingly quick playoff exit last year. They need to progress this season.

So again, yes they have exceeded our expectations but they've still got some winning to do. They aren't into the gravy yet no matter how you look at it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If this was a 5 win team for the past few years I'd say yeah, everything beyond making the playoffs is gravy.

But aside from the 27 year legacy, this is also the same core that had 12 wins and a disappointingly quick playoff exit last year. They need to progress this season.

So again, yes they have exceeded our expectations but they've still got some winning to do. They aren't into the gravy yet no matter how you look at it.
I agree that they aren't in "gravy" territory, I'm just saying the 27 year thing isn't really applicable outside of Jerry/Stephen and in the minds of fans.

It's not uncommon for a team to establish themselves as a 10+ win team for a few years with some moderate playoff success before making a deep run.

Basically what I'm saying is, if we win one playoff game this year and then get bounced we shouldn't all revert back to "OMG 27 YEARS THEY SUCK" because it could just be the natural evolution of a core that's building up to a run.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Exactly, @Simpleton. We're only a couple of years removed (2020 barely counts) from the Garrett Stench. Give it time. We've been drafting really well since then -- look at all the good young players on this team -- so the next few years should be bright.

Genghis Khan

Exactly, @Simpleton. We're only a couple of years removed (2020 barely counts) from the Garrett Stench. Give it time. We've been drafting really well since then -- look at all the good young players on this team -- so the next few years should be bright.

Outside of the Garrett Stench part, this is a familiar refrain from 07, 09, 14, 16, and 18.

I would agree that this is the first time among all those that we actually have a good HC, so maybe that makes a difference. We'll see.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Outside of the Garrett Stench part, this is a familiar refrain from 07, 09, 14, 16, and 18.

I would agree that this is the first time among all those that we actually have a good HC, so maybe that makes a difference. We'll see.
While that's true I think the fact that we've won 10+ (and really it's going to be 12+) for the first time in 26 years, and are going to the playoffs back to back for the first time in 15 years changes the calculus a bit.

I think the inability to string together strong years is probably off our back now that Garrett is gone and it makes me more optimistic moving forward that these 11-12 win seasons aren't just one-off's that we'll inevitably fail to repeat the next season for one reason or another.

Let's be real, if Garrett were coaching this team coming off a 12 win season and we lost Dak for 5 games (plus Tyron for basically the year) we'd have gone in the shitter. We might have finished 9-8, so the fact that the coaching staff is going to get probably 12-13 wins out of them under those circumstances gives me hope that they can keep building going into next year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'd say 9-8 would be the most optimistic possibility. Great chance the team craters after the Dak injury and we're about 6-7 -- or most likely worse -- right now.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
When they traded Cooper, I didn't expect a winning record.

Now that we do, can't help but imagine how much better they'd be with him.

Hopefully Moore will take another job this offseason and we can get an honest-to-god fresh start on offense.

Would McCarthy take the headset or would he bring someone in?

p1_

DCC 4Life
While that's true I think the fact that we've won 10+ (and really it's going to be 12+) for the first time in 26 years, and are going to the playoffs back to back for the first time in 15 years changes the calculus a bit.

I think the inability to string together strong years is probably off our back now that Garrett is gone and it makes me more optimistic moving forward that these 11-12 win seasons aren't just one-off's that we'll inevitably fail to repeat the next season for one reason or another.

Let's be real, if Garrett were coaching this team coming off a 12 win season and we lost Dak for 5 games (plus Tyron for basically the year) we'd have gone in the shitter. We might have finished 9-8, so the fact that the coaching staff is going to get probably 12-13 wins out of them under those circumstances gives me hope that they can keep building going into next year.
Sheik's man crush aside, I think the coaching job during the Cooper Rush stretch was huge. None of us saw him winning 4 of 5.

Top Bottom