Stephen Jones- Lets go on record

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
this may not be popular OR done to death, but just so the rest of us are clear on the issue, Who here is thinking Stephen is going to be better than his Dad?

I dont want to ridicule people, well to be fair, its going to happen since Stephen has made it crystal clear hes as wishy washy as his dad in the realm of football.

But if you really think things will be better under him, please let us know and the reasoning that makes you believe this.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There is somewhat of a consensus here that he's no better than his deddy. We have been lamenting this sad truth for a while now. There is no solace to be had in Stephen taking the helm. Just more suffering and pain.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Better, I don't know, but he does seem like less of a showman and more of an engineering-type thinker. He still has a huge ego, but I think he'd be more dispassionate when it comes to firing people who aren't good at their jobs. Jerry would keep the Lacewells and Garretts around forever just because he was buddies with them. I don't see Stephen being like that.

To offset that, he seems cheap.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he will be better but who knows. We are all just kind of going off a hunch or a gut feeling. Stephen isn't just like Jerry but obviously they both still love talking to the media. I just don't think Stephen views himself as the football genius that Jerry views himself as.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, I'm not sure he will better, but I can with absolute certainty that he damn sure can't be any worse.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
this may not be popular OR done to death, but just so the rest of us are clear on the issue, Who here is thinking Stephen is going to be better than his Dad?

I dont want to ridicule people, well to be fair, its going to happen since Stephen has made it crystal clear hes as wishy washy as his dad in the realm of football.

But if you really think things will be better under him, please let us know and the reasoning that makes you believe this.
I think he'll be better. I think he will will gild the lilly a lot less. I also think he'll have a real GM. I also think he does a good job of managing the cap. I do not think he's much of a football savant but you never know what decisions are his and what are his fathers. Over time, we'll find out I guess though Jones seems like that damn Energizer bunny. He'll probably outlive me...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have been saying it for years...he is no better.

He is just as much of the problem as his father is or ever was.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think he'll be better. I think he will will gild the lilly a lot less. I also think he'll have a real GM. I also think he does a good job of managing the cap. I do not think he's much of a football savant but you never know what decisions are his and what are his fathers. Over time, we'll find out I guess though Jones seems like that damn Energizer bunny. He'll probably outlive me...
What's that now?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it's obvious, objectively, that Stephen is better, just about across the board than Jerry.

That's not to say Stephen is some savior or will be great or anything, but if the comparison is to Jerry, then yeah give me Stephen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think it's obvious, objectively, that Stephen is better, just about across the board than Jerry.

That's not to say Stephen is some savior or will be great or anything, but if the comparison is to Jerry, then yeah give me Stephen.
As it is a given we inherit Stephen, is there any possibility he hires a real GM?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he's better than Jerry if for no other reason than he seems to have some semblance of common sense/pragmatism to him.

He was seemingly the driving force behind the retooling of the scouting process and giving McClay and the scouts a louder voice. He was seemingly the one who talked Jerry out of Manziel in favor of Martin. He was seemingly the one who made sure that Jerry didn't extend Garrett going into 2019 because he wasn't fully sold.

All of these are more or less media rumors/innuendo and none of it is truly fully confirmed straight from the source except for probably the Manziel situation, but given how this franchise operates I'd imagine they're all mostly true, at least in part, and for those reasons I definitely would rather have Stephen than Jerry.

Now, does that mean he's a "football guy"? Nope.

Does it mean I'm thrilled to have him in charge? Nope.

He has clear faults but I'd take his faults over Jerry's at the very least, and I do think that a lot of what plagues this organization to this day as far as the cronyism, the country club atmosphere and so forth is a direct result of Jerry. Stephen may continue that once Jerry is gone but he may not, I know for damn sure if Jerry were in charge for another 30 years it wouldn't change.

And despite his faults he still has brought plenty of value as I mentioned above in terms of reigning Jerry in, improving how we draft, helping get rid of Garrett and so forth.

What value has Jerry brought in the last 25 years? Hiring Parcells?

Aside from that it's literally nothing once you move beyond the initial hiring of Jimmy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think he's better than Jerry if for no other reason than he seems to have some semblance of common sense/pragmatism to him.

He was seemingly the driving force behind the retooling of the scouting process and giving McClay and the scouts a louder voice. He was seemingly the one who talked Jerry out of Manziel in favor of Martin. He was seemingly the one who made sure that Jerry didn't extend Garrett going into 2019 because he wasn't fully sold.

All of these are more or less media rumors/innuendo and none of it is truly fully confirmed straight from the source except for probably the Manziel situation, but given how this franchise operates I'd imagine they're all mostly true, at least in part, and for those reasons I definitely would rather have Stephen than Jerry.

Now, does that mean he's a "football guy"? Nope.

Does it mean I'm thrilled to have him in charge? Nope.

He has clear faults but I'd take his faults over Jerry's at the very least, and I do think that a lot of what plagues this organization to this day as far as the cronyism, the country club atmosphere and so forth is a direct result of Jerry. Stephen may continue that once Jerry is gone but he may not, I know for damn sure if Jerry were in charge for another 30 years it wouldn't change.

And despite his faults he still has brought plenty of value as I mentioned above in terms of reigning Jerry in, improving how we draft, helping get rid of Garrett and so forth.

What value has Jerry brought in the last 25 years? Hiring Parcells?

Aside from that it's literally nothing once you move beyond the initial hiring of Jimmy.
You could have just said the shinier of two turds.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I’ll take what I don’t really know at this point versus what I am certain of.

It may not lead to better results, but that’s where desperation will leave you. Whether he has the stubbornness of his father to continue to try and fail a thousands times over is what will be most interesting to see.

Top Bottom