Spring League Thread...

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Every league that has tried has failed since the AFL.

So I guess you are right.

Well, clearly, the odds are against it. But using it as an opportunity to prove how woke they are is not the best business model.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I watched XFL for the first two weeks and that's it. QB play was dreadful.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I stumbled upon a new Spring League that is on FS2. I realize it is not XFL, but it is close.

I do like how they get right in the coach/player huddles. And most, if not all of these players are hustling.

I guess playing football for a $2000 fee makes you feel the need to earn it back.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Loved the old USFL as a kid.

Too bad this one won't have a bunch of great players and even future NFL HOFers.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Loved the old USFL as a kid.

Too bad this one won't have a bunch of great players and even future NFL HOFers.
Yeah, it won't be a true NFL rival or poach elite players, but I've waited 30 years to see the Generals play the Express.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, it won't be a true NFL rival or poach elite players, but I've waited 30 years to see the Generals play the Express.
:lol
You know what would be really cool? If they brought back the regional draft. That's actually a good idea to generate some interest in players from fans' favorite college teams, even if they aren't that good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They keep trying and they keep failing.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
They keep trying and they keep failing.
That's because the investors won't give them a chance... any new league is gonna need at least 3 years (with an optional 4th) to prove what they can do. NBC should take advantage of the cord cutting trend and offer broadcasting packages to Netflix, Hulu, epix, et al.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The USFL ... with XFL talent. That'll be the biggest disappointment.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
can't blame him. he was probably down to his last $20 million.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The 2022 USFL Draft: Everything you need to know
Alex Malchow | American Football | 02/06/2022

The United States Football League or USFL will take its next crucial step in its highly anticipated comeback on February 22 with its inaugural “player selection meeting” or “draft”. During the two-day event, all eight teams and their respective coaching staffs will have a chance to mold their rosters as the league’s stars and marquee matchups take shape.

The Draft format

Similar to the XFL draft in 2020, the USFL draft will move in a “snake” format for each phase, in which the draft order reversed with each round. The draft order was shuffled for each phase as predetermined through lotteries. A draft pool of over 3,000 eligible players will be available for the USFL’s coaches.
  • Phase 1: quarterback selections
  • Phase 2: offensive skill positions (other quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends)—10 rounds
  • Phase 3: offensive linemen (offensive tackles, guards, and centers)—10 rounds
  • Phase 4: defensive front seven players (defensive linemen and linebackers)—10 rounds
  • Phase 5: defensive backs (cornerbacks and safeties)—10 rounds
  • Phase 6: open draft (any position)—30 rounds. Special teams players (including long snapper, punter, placekicker) have no separate position phase and are relegated to the open pool.
The Player Pool:

Not much information has been made available about the league’s potential players. However, several NFL veterans have shown interest in the new league including former wide receivers Matt Hazel, Rashad Ross, and Dontez Byrd, and linebacker Dale Warren.

Promising some star power, Gene Hallman a Birmingham businessman working with the league stated that there will be about five or six high-profile players that are “instantly recognizable” on each team according to xflnewsroom.

In a new twist, the USFL could dip into the college football pool earlier than the NFL signing underclassmen wishing to go pro. The league will allow any player to be eligible if they’ve graduated from high school in 2020 or earlier.

This untraditional thinking is something to keep an eye come draft night, especially with the NCAA’s transfer portal filled with over 1,500 players.

Player Salaries:

According to USFL News players will make an average of 45k for the season not including the teams $600 a week pre-season. Practice squad players will earn about 15K on average for the season. The USFL also promises victory bonuses rumored to be $850 a player.

Each team will have a 38-player active roster and a seven-person practice squad. These reported salaries are around the same as the XFL paid their players last back in 2020 and compare well with average salaries in the Canadian Football League especially when taking the USFL’s shorter season into account.

Fans are hoping that the salaries and television exposure could lure some marquee talent to the league as the April kickoff date looms closer. The USFL is scheduled to be broadcast on FOX and NBC and has received heavy investments from Foxsports. With that being said, both the league and network executives are hoping to drum up some buzz as the league rolls out its stars.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They should've kept the old regional draft. That was pretty cool for a league like this.

Top Bottom