Six-game ban likely for Von Miller

junk

Not So New Member
Lovie has shown no ability to fix an offense, and we've shown no ability to make a "dual head coach" role thing work. Ie, where Lovie can coach one side of the ball and leave the offense to the other guy.

I'm not willing to sign on board for that trainwreck. I'd roll the dice on a college coach first.
You don't have to have a dual head coach to have a good offensive coordinator. Hiring an OC that has more experience than two years as a positional coach would be a good start.
Like Mike Martz, Ron Turner, and Mike Tice?

Lovie doesn't know how to hire offensive coordinators either.

He will not fix this team.

PASS.
I'm still not sure why Lovie keeps coming up. I think a college coach would be a failure unless it was somebody like Harbaugh. However, I suspect someone like that would never come to Dallas.

I hope if the team fails, they fail badly. Badly enough that Jerry concedes to a coach with some power again. He won't though.....someone else on another board brought it up, but the more likely hire is someone like Zimmer.

Did I read somewhere they tried to get Zimmer for DC this year, but couldn't?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm still not sure why Lovie keeps coming up. I think a college coach would be a failure unless it was somebody like Harbaugh. However, I suspect someone like that would never come to Dallas.

I hope if the team fails, they fail badly. Badly enough that Jerry concedes to a coach with some power again. He won't though.....someone else on another board brought it up, but the more likely hire is someone like Zimmer.

Did I read somewhere they tried to get Zimmer for DC this year, but couldn't?
I would've become homicidal if we brought The Village Idiot back. I hate Mike Zimmer and his bullshit, no pash rush, containment style defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm still not sure why Lovie keeps coming up.
I use him as the example of the retread head coach that Jerry would pursue.

Doesn't have the same "loser" stink as Wade, so he won't go down that road again, but all in all a very non-inspiring choice.

I contrast that with a guy like Andy Reid who I think would be a very intriguing choice, a guy who I consider a much better coach.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Like Mike Martz, Ron Turner, and Mike Tice?

Lovie doesn't know how to hire offensive coordinators either.

He will not fix this team.

PASS.
The Bears have just as dysfunctional an organization as we have. From what I read, Lovie wasn't really thrilled at being reunited with Martz.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The Bears have just as dysfunctional an organization as we have. From what I read, Lovie wasn't really thrilled at being reunited with Martz.
So why would we expect better results than 1 playoff appearance in 6 years?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So why would we expect better results than 1 playoff appearance in 6 years?
One simple reason.

Because two of the last six years they started Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton and even Jay Cutler isn't in Romo's class. As long as we have an OC that's league average, and Romo remains productive, we'll have a better offense than Chicago because we have a better QB. They didn't have an offensive line either, so no need to bring that into the argument.

Fun fact. In the last 3 years, Lovie is 29-19 with a playoff win. Garrett is 21-19 without a playoff berth. That's the hed to head comparison.

Adding in some bad years with Orton and Grossman to strengthen your argument and ignoring a 10-6 season that started 7-1 and was derailed by a QB injury is just you being dishonest as usual and cherry picking the sample the way you want it. You should have been a statistician.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
One simple reason.

Because two of the last six years they started Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton and even Jay Cutler isn't in Romo's class. As long as we have an OC that's league average, and Romo remains productive, we'll have a better offense than Chicago because we have a better QB. They didn't have an offensive line either, so no need to bring that into the argument.
We won't have one. We will have Ron Turner, Mike Martz or Mike Tice, or someone of that caliber (obviously I am not predicting he's gonna bring back one of those guys literally), if Lovie is doing the hiring (and if Jerry is doing the hiring, that is even worse). Partially as a result of having a better QB, we already have a much better offense than Chicago; I'm wondering how the problems we currently have, which are preventing us from playoff success, will get FIXED. Lovie has no track record at all of fixing offensive problems (and OL is our biggest problem right now).

And yes, as you point out, he could never fix their OL (or get a guy to fix their OL) either.

Our offensive problems won't get fixed.

Fun fact. In the last 3 years, Lovie is 29-19 with a playoff win. Garrett is 21-19 without a playoff berth.
I'm not talking about Garrett, I'm talking about Lovie Smith.

Fun fact.... Wade Phillips went 34-22 with 1 playoff win in 3.5 years. And got fired.

Lovie will end up with a similar run of no success here.

PASS.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Another reason we don't ever need to try Lovie Smith is that we basically have what he brings to the table already. If him and his scheme, plus an average offensive coordinator, are gonna be so great, then we should get those effects anyway this year with Kiffin and Marinelli.

Lovie and his amazing track record of coaching up a team to 1 playoff appearance in 6 years isn't going to magically turn the defense into a stud unit over what Kiffin can.

Top Bottom