Scout's Big Prediction: Hanna Contributes More Than Escobar

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Big Prediction: Hanna Contributes More Than Escobar

Posted 27 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

When I last worked for Bill Parcells in 2005, he would always use a line in the personnel meetings that I thought was outstanding. When a scout would go on and on about a player, Parcells would say “Well, your pet cat….” which always put a smile on my face because everyone in the room knew he was right. If I was still scouting for this team, James Hanna would be my pet cat.

When he was drafted last season out of Oklahoma, I honestly didn’t know very much about him and the type of traits he brought to a team. His film was solid but not dominating. He showed up as an outstanding athlete that would make crazy contested catches but would drop balls when he was alone in space. He wasn’t the type of blocker that would lead you to believe that he could be a force as an inline “Y” because most of his blocks were executed on the move but he has developed some inline techniques. Where Hanna made his biggest jump was on the scout team working with Kyle Orton. There were several weeks where the defense had to face a quality tight end and Hanna was making play after play against Rob Ryan’s group and the coaches stood up and took notice.

With the push of Garrett and Callahan to use “12” personnel as a base package, the club went out and drafted Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round but was interesting, knowing they were looking to go with this package is they passed on the best tight end in the draft, Tyler Eifert who ended up in Cincinnati which might have made some sense. Escobar has some really nice traits with his hands and size but he is nowhere as athletic as Hanna who can be a mismatch problem for a defense much like Jason Witten.

When I watch Hanna play, I see an explosive, up the field player that runs smooth routes and plays with an ease of movement. I don’t hear Jason Garrett asking him to play faster or quicker like I do with Escobar. There is suddenness to Hanna’s game and you see it whether he is blocking or catching the ball. He has developed more as a catcher and there is consistency there which at Oklahoma, there was none. I really thought he was a 50-50 catcher in college but if the ball is in the frame work of his body or he has to make a serious adjustment, he can pull it off.

I really do like what they are doing scheme wise in this “12” personnel because I feel like it takes advantage of the strengths of these tight ends. It’s not asking them to stand in there toe-to-toe and have to hammer someone on the line but it also gives them the flexibility to get athletic receivers into the route. I understand why they drafted Gavin Escobar and one day he has a chance to develop but if you are asking me right, who is the best man for the job to be on the field with Jason Witten, it’s James Hanna in my book and I haven’t even given that a second thought. Hanna will be a very productive player for this squad whenever he is called on to do so.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is no surprise given Escobar's glaring 4.8 40 time. He is my least favorite draft pick. His upside is probably a shade higher than Anthony Fasano with maybe a bonus niche of being able to make some tough redzone catches. No way is this guy Witten's long term replacement, and as a 2nd round pick that's disappointing.

Reach.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
This is no surprise given Escobar's glaring 4.8 40 time. He is my least favorite draft pick. His upside is probably a shade higher than Anthony Fasano with maybe a bonus niche of being able to make some tough redzone catches. No way is this guy Witten's long term replacement, and as a 2nd round pick that's disappointing.

Reach.
On top of the fact Hanna - a sixth rd pick - looked quite solid last year. There was 0 need to take a slow TE before the 5th this year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This is no surprise given Escobar's glaring 4.8 40 time. He is my least favorite draft pick.
Not that I am a fan of the Escobar pick, but don't put too much stock in 40 times. Witten timed at 4.67, not exactly burner numbers. And Michael Irvin was considered slow for a WR at 4.55. He did pretty well with that pedestrian time.

His upside is probably a shade higher than Anthony Fasano with maybe a bonus niche of being able to make some tough redzone catches. No way is this guy Witten's long term replacement, and as a 2nd round pick that's disappointing.

Reach.
You're seriously going to base a career projection on a 40 time? His straight line speed is lacking, but his 3 cone and shuttle times were above average and show he has burst, quickness, and body control within 10-15 yards of the LOS. Where a TE does most of their work.

I'm not declaring this a good pick, but this is certainly one of those LT times to wait and see.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You're seriously going to base a career projection on a 40 time?
I didn't say he was a bust or failure, just a reach based on his lack of measurables.

At his position speed really matters, especially if you aren't known for blocking. I mean, 4.8 is worse than some DE's! It's no wonder to me that he's struggling adjusting to the speed of the game. Every rookie has this problem, but at some point a 2nd rounder starts to separate himself and flash talent. Escobar can't. A former 6th round pick like Hannah should not be clearly lapping him like this.

Morris Claiborne's 40 time is IMO the one thing keeping him from adjusting to the game and intercepting the ball like he did in college. His instincts are apparent when closing in on ball-carriers-- you can see him going for the ball. His coverage technique also looks good. But when the ball is in the air he seems too intent on keeping up to actually make a play. Patrick Peterson's 4.34 is in a different dimension than Claiborne's 4.5, and it makes a huge difference that instincts alone can't make up for.

I know the Cowboys wanted to emphasize football ability over raw measurables, but those measurables are what usually separate the 1st and 2nd rounders.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Do you realize just how fast .16 of a second is? A snap of your fingers. And you're comparing rookies to guys that have some time under their belt. I'd hope Hannah is picking things up better right now. He's had a year in the system to sort stuff out. Escobar has had a few OTAs. And Patrick Peterson struggled as a rookie CB, too. When the mental side of the game came easier, so did the physical. I'd expect to see that with Claiborne, too.

Again, put too much stock in measurables, and you draft guys like Mike Mamula in the first round.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I'm super against the Escobar pick. I think we'll probably end up scrapping the 12 formation again this year. That being said, ND is right, it really doesn't matter if a vet is looking better than a rookie in July.

Also Broaddus was making a case for Vince Young a few weeks ago, so his evaluation is not any more meaningful to me than a Bleacher Report schlub.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't care about his 40 time. Pablo annoys me because his mouth is open. All the time. It's creepy. Look at every picture of him. You'll see.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Don't care about his 40 time. Pablo annoys me because his mouth is open. All the time. It's creepy. Look at every picture of him. You'll see.
If he had insolent hair and was known for his moxie, he could be an all-timer for you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he had insolent hair and was known for his moxie, he could be an all-timer for you.
I don't like the guy. It is an irrational hate, but usually I am not wrong when things break that way.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Pablo? That's his DCC nickname?

:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just wondering what pictures you're looking up.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Quickness and the ability to run crisp routes are better traits to measure a receiver by than 40 times.

As for the comment that Broaddus made about Escobar not playing as fast as Hanna, that extra gear should come over time as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and adjusts to the speed of the game.

Right now he's probably thinking too much and is playing hesitant.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Quickness and the ability to run crisp routes are better traits to measure a receiver by than 40 times.

As for the comment that Broaddus made about Escobar not playing as fast as Hanna, that extra gear should come over time as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and adjusts to the speed of the game.

Right now he's probably thinking too much and is playing hesitant.
Or he's just slow.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't like the guy. It is an irrational hate, but usually I am not wrong when things break that way.

Along with having his mouth constantly open, insolent hair, and unusual amounts of moxie, he would play like a kid out there.

All the while, thanking Jesus for everything. :art

Top Bottom