Schefter: Cowboys Extend Jaylon Smith

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
15 a year or less and it's a value deal, Kuechly is about to get 20 a year soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jaylon was always the most obvious candidate, people can fuck right off with this nonsense about extending Byron/La'el. Would've been happy with a Collins/Brown extension too.

p1_

DCC 4Life
jerry hinted at this. nice going, pay attention Zeke.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
This makes me happy. He's the guy I've wanted extended over Elliot or Dak. Even Cooper.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

We will see how grateful he is when the numbers come out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Seems like we may have won a deal with a player who is happy to be here, grateful for the chance we took on him, and happy for our super.

Take notes Zeke and Dak.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I saw 5 years, $64m, $35m guaranteed.

That would be $12.8m per year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's a great deal, given how contracts are being handed out I'd say fair value for him would be about 15/year, maybe slightly less because Deion Jones got about 14.5. A shade under 13 is excellent value for sure.

What Stephen has to get through his head though is that every deal doesn't have to be a value deal. They tagged Lawrence, played the year out, bullshitted with him for several more months, tagged him again, things got contentious and eventually they gave him a fair market deal.

If you can get it, great, but if a guy is willing to take a fair market deal (15 for Zeke is fair), it might not be ideal, but for a truly elite player it's better to just get it over with instead of a doing a whole dog and pony show before eventually paying it anyway.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I saw 5 years, $64m, $35m guaranteed.

That would be $12.8m per year.
That is not terrible. Actually reasonable in comparison to what guys like Alec Ogletree and Kwon Alexander are getting paid.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
So what's next? Go ahead and sign Zeke and let Dak play out his contract?
No way I'm paying Dak what he's asking for. To me the best route is to make him play this year under contract and see what he can do with a roster that's pretty well loaded. If he can at least get us to a conference title game and look like a contender, I'd consider paying up.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is exactly what some of us have been saying. Top 5 money but not trying to squeeze every fucking dollar out of it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones will think long and hard about Zeke because it not just a matter of paying players, it is how it might make him look for a player to control him.

Top Bottom