Sanjay Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds like Sanjay smoked a bowl and came to his fricking senses.

I can honestly say...if pot were legal and available, the alcohol industry would suffer incredibly.

I know where more of my money would go. I would rather take a hit on a joint to relax than take a shot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sounds like Sanjay smoked a bowl and came to his fricking senses.

I can honestly say...if pot were legal and available, the alcohol industry would suffer incredibly.

I know where more of my money would go. I would rather take a hit on a joint to relax than take a shot.
I don't know if I agree that the alcohol industry would suffer that much. I think there's only a small amount of people who would give up alcohol for weed. The majority probably would do both, or would still probably not use marijuana consistently, or at all.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Gupta is advocating toward using marijuana for medical reasons but I don't see anything about him promoting it for recreation purposes.

dmo069

Banned
I don't know if I agree that the alcohol industry would suffer that much. I think there's only a small amount of people who would give up alcohol for weed. The majority probably would do both, or would still probably not use marijuana consistently, or at all.
The alcohol lobbies are one of the reasons why weed is still illegal. They consistently pump boatloads of money into the "drugs are bad" campaign. They know competition when they see it. I'd rather spend $150 on an ounce of decent weed that would last me 6 months vs the much more expensive alternative...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The alcohol lobbies are one of the reasons why weed is still illegal. They consistently pump boatloads of money into the "drugs are bad" campaign. They know competition when they see it. I'd rather spend $150 on an ounce of decent weed that would last me 6 months vs the much more expensive alternative...
Is this a rumor or something that can be substantiated? I don't doubt it but do you have any evidence?

dmo069

Banned
Is this a rumor or something that can be substantiated? I don't doubt it but do you have any evidence?
In the late 90's, drugfree.org was exposed for receiving millions in support from:

PDFA was the subject of criticism when it was revealed by Cynthia Cotts of the Village Voice that their federal tax returns showed that they had received several million dollars worth of funding from major pharmaceutical, tobacco and alcohol corporations including American Brands (Jim Beam whiskey), Philip Morris (Marlboro and Virginia Slims cigarettes, Miller beer), Anheuser Busch (Budweiser, Michelob, Busch beer), R.J. Reynolds (Camel, Salem, Winston cigarettes), as well as pharmaceutical firms Bristol Meyers-Squibb, Merck & Company and Procter & Gamble. In 1997 it discontinued any direct fiscal association with tobacco and alcohol suppliers, although it still receives donations from pharmaceutical companies.

The liquor lobby in California made donations to stop legalization there. The same thing happened in Colorado.

I'm sure there is a lot more.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gupta is advocating toward using marijuana for medical reasons but I don't see anything about him promoting it for recreation purposes.
That is still a change from the evil and unfounded reputation which goes all the way back to squeezing hemp out as a resource.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
That is still a change from the evil and unfounded reputation which goes all the way back to squeezing hemp out as a resource.
No doubt.

I bought a pair of flip flops with the thongs made of hemp. The thongs still still look brand new and the rest of the shoes are in tatters.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I have little doubt that no one wants to compete with the quality products that hemp can produce.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Mellons, Hearst and DuPonts wanted the hemp industry gone in the 1930s and they got it done.

Top Bottom