Ryan Braun's guilt makes Aaron Rodgers look like an idiot

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Ryan Braun’s suspension should prompt different reaction from Aaron Rodgers

PFT.com
Posted by Mike Florio
on July 22, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT

With Ryan Braun suspended for the balance of the baseball season, all eyes are on A-Rod.

And not just Alex Rodriguez. From the NFL’s perspective, folks will be interested in seeing whether Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has anything to say about the situation. After all, the Packers quarterback responded aggressively in 2012, when Braun avoided a 50-game suspension.

“MLB and cable sports tried to sully the reputation of an innocent man,” Rodgers tweeted at the time. ”Picked the wrong guy to mess with. Truth will set u free #exonerated. When its guilty until proven innocent, all u need are the facts. #howsthecrowmlb #exonerated. . . All u idiots talking about technicality open up for some crow too. See if Espn gets pressured not to . . . let the people hear the truth. Should get interesting. #exonerated #shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.”

“He told me the truth and I believed him and I felt like there were some media outlets that immediately jumped on a story like that,” Rodgers later explained in an interview with ESPN. “And the ramifications that can happen in this business when it’s a guilty until proven innocent system are far reaching. And it’s not just personal and reputation stuff, it’s dollars through endorsements.”

Now, Braun has told the world a different kind of truth: “I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions.”

Rodgers, who has a reputation for being a bit on the sensitive side, could react angrily to the fact that he went to bat (no pun intended) for a guy who told him something other than the truth. If he does, however, Rodgers will be criticized by some for being disloyal.

But not by us. Braun took advantage of his friendship with Rodgers, and Rodgers ended up looking bad for it. He has every right to end the friendship, and to call Braun out.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

Just saw a Yahoo article where Rodgers tweeted last year that he'd bet his salary on Braun's innocence.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Rodgers definitely comes off like an idiot in retrospect (as does Braun). But it was pretty obvious from the beginning that Braun got off only on a technicality but it was pretty clear he was guilty. I guess Rodgers let his bias get in the way, but he should have just stayed out of it. Now they both looked like idiots.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Whotta dope. Just keep your mouth shut, no one needed to hear from you.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I wonder if that other guy is going to collect that $14.1 million from Rogers? :unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fan who won “bet” with Rodgers would take a game check to settle it

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT

After Ryan Braun absorbed a suspension for the balance of the baseball season and seemed to admit that he cheated the game, some (including us) that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers may have some explaining to do.

Rodgers also may have some paying to do.

At one point during his defense of his friend and business partner (they own a restaurant together), Rodgers expressed sufficient confidence in Braun’s innocence that Rodgers offered to “put my salary next year on it.”

Setting aside fairly significant legal concepts like offer, acceptance, and the legality of the contract given that it arises from, you know, gambling, the man to whom the tweet was directed is willing to make it all go away for far less than half Rodgers’ 2013 salary.

“I’d just take a game check,” Todd Sutton told Lindsay Jones of USA Today.

Given Rodgers’ base salary of $4.5 million, that would be $264,705.88.

Rodgers still hasn’t addressed Bruan’s suspension, on Twitter or otherwise. Chances are he’ll be asked about it during his first training-camp media availability.

Top Bottom