Rosenthal: Roger Goodell expects playoff expansion in 2015

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Roger Goodell expects playoff expansion in 2015

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor

Playoff expansion is expected to come to the NFL. But it's not going to happen this season.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed Tuesday at the Spring League Meeting that the NFL playoffs will continue to have 12 teams for 2014. But that should change next season.

"I do believe it will be approved for the 2015 (season)," Goodell said. "I think we want to see one more year of, will it impact the regular season in a positive way from a competitive standpoint? Will it create more excitement, more races toward the end of who's going to qualify for the playoffs?"

Goodell said the league wanted to focus on introducing Thursday Night Football to a different audience this year (with eight games on CBS) before adding to their playoff package in 2015.

We don't like the idea of watering down the playoffs with another team, but it's a matter of time before it happens. We'll enjoy at least one more playoff season with the current 12-team format before any change occurs.

Some other takeaways from Goodell's session with the media:

1. Goodell expressed confidence the NFL would continue it's deal with DirecTV's Sunday Ticket following the company's merger with AT&T.

"We're still in the exclusive negotiating period with DirecTV. They've been a terrific partner. We obviously are aware of the transaction, it's something that we'll continue our negotiations, but they have been very productive to date. We hope to bring them to a successful conclusion."

2. Goodell announced that a draft committee will be assembled to discuss its future. He didn't rule out a return to Radio City Music Hall, but said all options are being investigated when it comes to cities and possible dates.

3. The league will wait for any formal charges to emerge against Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay before taking any possible action.

4. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver received a little love. Goodell said that Silver had made "all the right moves" following Donald Sterling's recent comments.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones lobbying for playoff help: Expanded NFL postseason ‘’would help my Cowboys”

The NFL tabled discussions Tuesday on expanded playoffs to the fall owners meetings.

But owner Jerry Jones left no doubt that he favored adding more teams to the current playoff format because it would be good for the league and great for a Cowboys team that has missed the postseason each of the last four years.

An unapologetic Jones said it would “give us a better chance to get in the playoffs.”

“I am pleased that we’re looking at expanding the playoffs,” Jones said to reporters at the NFL owners meetings in Atlanta. “I think what a playoff means to a team and to a city is unquestioned. Now, from the Cowboys standpoint, maybe it will give us a better chance to be in the playoffs, so I’m an easy vote on this one.

“Seriously, I think it really enhances what we’re always trying to do, and that’s fan interest. Any time, at such a critical time for teams to be able to show their fans that they’re doing the kinds of things that maybe gives you a chance for a Super Bowl, that’s going in the right direction. I can’t help but make the case for the Cowboys on this issue.”

The ugly truth from a Cowboys perspective is that even if the league had added two teams to the playoffs the past four years, it would haven’t made a difference.

The Cowboys finished 6-10 in 2010 and 8-8 in each of the last three seasons and would not have qualified under and an expanded format.

Yes adding more team theoretically would give the Cowboys a better chance of getting in.

But their primary focus should be improving their .500 record rather than hoping to get in because the league lowered the bar for admission.

Clarence E. Hill Jr

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stupid ass.

Top Bottom