RIP Don Shula

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Don Shula > Don Shula Steakhouse

RIP
I have been to his restaurants Florida and they were pretty good. Shula was a very solid coach. He evaluated players then used the player to their strength.

Last edited:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I have been to his restraints in Florida and they were pretty good. Shula was a very solid coach. He evaluated players then used the player to their strength.
You keep that goofy shit to yourself, kind sir.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He's definitely on the Mount Rushmore of coaches in NFL history. Funny thing is I think he's become underrated over the years.

Whenever the topic of greatest coach of all time comes up it seems like most people automatically default to Belichik and Lombardi. Shula's at least on Lombardi's level, IMO.

data

Forbes #1
He's definitely on the Mount Rushmore of coaches in NFL history. Funny thing is I think he's become underrated over the years.

Whenever the topic of greatest coach of all time comes up it seems like most people automatically default to Belichik and Lombardi. Shula's at least on Lombardi's level, IMO.
Yeah, for coaches, winning with different team cores should be looked more at. Lombardi, Belichick and Noll all made their name with one QB, essentially. Landry made the SB with two, but took four to at least the semifinals.

Shula’s been to the Super Bowl with four QBs, five if you count Morrall twice (Colts and Dolphins), which is more than anyone else.

• Gibbs has Theismann, Williams and Rypien
  • Parcells has Bledsoe and Simms, maybe you count Hostetler.
  • Vermeil with Jaworski and Kurt Warner
  • Dan Reeves with Elway and Chris Chandler
  • Holmgren with Favre and Hasselbeck
  • Cowher with O’Donnell and Roeth
  • Reid with McNabb and Mahomes
  • Bud Grant with Kapp and Tarkenton
  • Seifert with Montana and Young
  • John Fox with Delhomme and Manning

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, for coaches, winning with different team cores should be looked more at. Lombardi, Belichick and Noll all made their name with one QB, essentially. Landry made the SB with two, but took four to at least the semifinals.

Shula’s been to the Super Bowl with four QBs, five if you count Morrall twice (Colts and Dolphins), which is more than anyone else.

• Gibbs has Theismann, Williams and Rypien
  • Parcells has Bledsoe and Simms, maybe you count Hostetler.
  • Vermeil with Jaworski and Kurt Warner
  • Dan Reeves with Elway and Chris Chandler
  • Holmgren with Favre and Hasselbeck
  • Cowher with O’Donnell and Roeth
  • Reid with McNabb and Mahomes
  • Bud Grant with Kapp and Tarkenton
  • Seifert with Montana and Young
  • John Fox with Delhomme and Manning
I think this is a decent point. Though you have to account for if the coach does it with a Hall of Fame talent on separate occasions, like Seifert with Montana and then Young.... not so impressive.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it's a great point.

Gibbs winning with 3 different "good not great" QBs may be the most impressive feat. Followed by Parcells doing it with 2 different.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it's a great point.

Gibbs winning with 3 different "good not great" QBs may be the most impressive feat. Followed by Parcells doing it with 2 different.
In Parcells' case, he rode the same guy most of the way though until the postseason. His 1990 postseason wins over the 49ers and Bills in successive are two of the greatest coaching successes I've witnessed.

No way they should have won those games led by a backup QB and retread RB, but they did. There's one play in the Superbowl where Mark Ingram sells his soul to get a first down.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Parcells also had a semi decent defense helping out, too.

Top Bottom