Report: Randy Gregory failed drug test, faces lengthy ban

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That and the whole deal with the practice exemption falling through last second. Just really weird.
Yeah, especially since that 2 week window was agreed upon as part of him dropping the appeal from what I understand.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I actually had no idea of that rule. But I looked it up and the article I'm looking at says 14 padded practices. Same end result though. We are at week 16 in the NFL so I'm sure we have burned through 14. Supposedly some NFL teams never have padded practices. What a joke.
Garrett started them immediately after taking over for Phillips and almost as fast the new CBA took them away.

It's reduced the quality of football overall, but the players feel it extends their careers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett started them immediately after taking over for Phillips and almost as fast the new CBA took them away.

It's reduced the quality of football overall, but the players feel it extends their careers.
I'm sure the players have used that reasoning. I don't really believe that it prolongs players careers though. I think it has more to do with the fact that players wanted to work less and get paid more. And no pads practices are just easier then padded practices. It's not really much different then any other profession.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm sure the players have used that reasoning. I don't really believe that it prolongs players careers though. I think it has more to do with the fact that players wanted to work less and get paid more. And no pads practices are just easier then padded practices. It's not really much different then any other profession.
I agree totally. Also an easy point for ownership to concede and NFLPA reps to brag about to players as a win.

Coaching and quality suffer, but at the end of the day most owners don't care so much about a dip in quality if it means they all get a bigger slice of a pie worth multiple billions.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He isn't talking about Gregory. Its how they are keeping the suspension quiet and how the NFL is going about it.
Is it kind of like a One Gregory policy? As long as the media doesn't talk directly to Gregory we're OK...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His appeal was supposed to be today, but he "switched representation", so it may be delayed per Rapoport. Kinda shady.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
His appeal was supposed to be today, but he "switched representation", so it may be delayed per Rapoport. Kinda shady.
Hopefully delayed for about 6 weeks.

Cotton

Staff member
It is only fair
Sturm tweeted that he believed that the team just may have done it on purpose to delay the hearing. Brilliant move, if true.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Apparently his agent booted him, not the other way around.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Apparently his agent booted him, not the other way around.
"Hey it will look super shady if I fire you right before my hearing. Jerry said he'd pay you $500k to quit though."

Cotton

Staff member

Not real sure what this means. Does he still have to go into the hearing without representation?

Cotton

Staff member
From Archer: (on point)

• I wonder if the Cowboys should lead a charge for the NFL to be more open on the process of suspending players. This isn’t to say privacy rights should be violated, but the case of Randy Gregory is confounding to say the least. The fact he was allowed to return for the final two regular-season games but might not be eligible to play in the postseason is simply not fair. This isn’t a Cowboys-specific issue. Every team should want more transparency in how the league doles out the punishment. Gregory could be a key piece to a Super Bowl run and the Cowboys had to cut a player they didn’t want to cut in order to get Gregory on the 53-man roster. If he can’t play in the playoffs then the Cowboys will not have Gregory or Moore. Would the Cowboys have made the move had they known Gregory would not be allowed to play in the postseason? I don’t know, but maybe they would have released somebody other than Moore.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, since you sluffed off to do god knows what, I had to go find it for myself, asshole.
I am posting from my phone. Don't have time for that.

BTW, Spagnola says Stephen told him that Gregory is in New York having his appeal today afterall.

Cotton

Staff member
I am posting from my phone. Don't have time for that.

BTW, Spagnola says Stephen told him that Gregory is in New York having his appeal today afterall.
Without representation. That's smart.

Top Bottom