Religion thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This forum has gotten boring. I know we have all discussed religion, but since we are going to have a Raw forum might as well make use of it.

• With all of the scientific evidence available to us about how much potential life is out there, how can the bible actually hold weight?
  • How can there be any credence to the idea that life begins and ends on our tiny planet amongst billions of other planets?
  • Are we the only planet that got lucky enough to create life out of billions?
  • Are we a crazy experiment by some other life force? Did we just happen by nature?
  • What happens when you die? What truly happens when a soul is conceived?
  • Or is a soul a revolving door that comes back again and again?

Tons of question.

Let's do this.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This forum has gotten boring. I know we have all discussed religion, but since we are going to have a Raw forum might as well make use of it.

• With all of the scientific evidence available to us about how much potential life is out there, how can the bible actually hold weight?
  • How can there be any credence to the idea that life begins and ends on our tiny planet amongst billions of other planets?
  • Are we the only planet that got lucky enough to create life out of billions?
  • Are we a crazy experiment by some other life force? Did we just happen by nature?
  • What happens when you die? What truly happens when a soul is conceived?
  • Or is a soul a revolving door that comes back again and again?

Tons of question.

Let's do this.
To all the above. There is no absolute answers everyone will accept or agree on. I believe because I choose to believe. That should take care of it for me.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You son of a beech!

I can't think of any biblical reason against other possible life out there.

Having said that, mr science man...why hasn't your fancy science people found the yet?

Cotton

Staff member
With all of the scientific evidence available to us about how much potential life is out there, how can the bible actually hold weight? I say no.

How can there be any credence to the idea that life begins and ends on our tiny planet amongst billions of other planets? I can't imagine in any scenario we are the only living beings in this universe. We just aren't that damn important.

Are we the only planet that got lucky enough to create life out of billions? Same as above (maybe I shouldn't have repeated the question)

Are we a crazy experiment by some other life force? Did we just happen by nature? I doubt it.

What happens when you die? I do feel strongly that what the bible portrays is most likely a metaphor for us going back into better lives the better we live. RE: Hindusim

What truly happens when a soul is conceived? This is the one I struggle with the most. I do believe in some form of reincarnation, but how souls are connected in past and future lives is a bit of a conundrum. Is it random? Is it even religious? It connects with the question above.

Or is a soul a revolving door that comes back again and again? Yeah, I believe so.

Cotton

Staff member
To all the above. There is no absolute answers everyone will accept or agree on. I believe because I choose to believe. That should take care of it for me.
And I respect that, obviously. Everyone knows my dad was a preacher, so I can see how that line of thinking applies. I just don't/can't have that kind of faith. Too many holes.

Cotton

Staff member
You son of a beech!

I can't think of any biblical reason against other possible life out there.

Having said that, mr science man...why hasn't your fancy science people found the yet?
Lots of room in the universe, and we can't see very much of it up close. I figure we are a very primitive species compared to what's out there.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't get what you are getting at as far as the bible being unreliable because there could be other life out there. I'm not seeing a correlation.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't get what you are getting at as far as the bible being unreliable because there could be other life out there. I'm not seeing a correlation.
It raises the question if god created life on just this planet or all of them if there is other life out there (and I can't imagine there isn't somewhere). Or is there a god for every planet with life on it? Did god create the dinosaurs first and then Adam and Eve? (Though I suppose that's another discussion)

Cotton

Staff member
Simply put, did god create all life, or just what we can see?

Cotton

Staff member
[MENTION=85]Kbrown[/MENTION] [MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION] [MENTION=90]jeebs[/MENTION]

What say ye?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Simply put, did god create all life, or just what we can see?
Do you realize that by you asking these questions you are expressing there is no God. Therefore, these questions actually become moot when God is included. :art

Cotton

Staff member
Do you realize that by you asking these questions you are expressing there is no God. Therefore, these questions actually become moot when God is included. :art
I'm not at all. At worst, I'm insinuating the god celebrated by christians may not entirely be accurate.

Cotton

Staff member
Also, part of my point is, I can't automatically include god into the equation, which makes all of these questions all that more important to be answered.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not at all. At worst, I'm insinuating the god celebrated by christians may not entirely be accurate.
But that is the only reference to Yaweh God and it is specific in the references used by Christians and Jews. Any other depiction that.disputes it isn't accepted by the followers of the faith. It makes him a counterfeit and mocks the established references.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Oh man. I'm really going to try and stay out of it. I have shared my views on the subject many times over the years on this board. I understand that people have strong beliefs and I try to be respectful, but usually at some point I end up getting irritated/incredulous over something and start getting offensive. I don't want to go down that road.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh man. I'm really going to try and stay out of it. I have shared my views on the subject many times over the years on this board. I understand that people have strong beliefs and I try to be respectful, but usually at some point I end up getting irritated/incredulous over something and start getting offensive. I don't want to go down that road.
Yeah I am about to cease. I just thought I would accommodate the dawg a little.

Cotton

Staff member
But that is the only reference to Yaweh God and it is specific in the references used by Christians and Jews. Any other depiction that.disputes it isn't accepted by the followers of the faith. It makes him a counterfeit and mocks the established references.
The point of debating it is thinking of other possible solutions to the questions above. Like I said above I understand the faith thing, I just can't seem to have it myself. So, if you run purely on faith, more power to you. I have questions that can't be answered by the bible or any other christian I have ever talked to, including my dad.

Cotton

Staff member
This is the DCC Raw thread. In the rules it states we can cut loose in here. I want to talk religion. But, I can definitely understand you not wanting to if it causes you heartburn, but dammit, you are one of my few allies on here. :unsure

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Stop screwing around and get your ass in here!

Cotton

Staff member
Listen, I didn't create this thread to cause hard feelings. It's not meant for that. I know that sometimes inherently hard feelings come from topics like this, but I meant more for this to be a civil discussion. We have some very smart posters here with very good opinions on stuff, and I life talking to most of you about religion. I hope we can have decent debates about this topic without any hurt feelings. If no one gets defensive, I think we can have a nice little back and forth about it.

Top Bottom