Rapoport: Cowboys Expected To Sign OL Marcus Martin

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Feh.

This one is like the Thompson signing to me. Doing it for "depth" when essentially with any kind of draft success, the guy is a goner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Feh.

This one is like the Thompson signing to me. Doing it for "depth" when essentially with any kind of draft success, the guy is a goner.
Yep this is Joe Looneys replacement. The same way Thompson was Bryce Butlers replacement.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep this is Joe Looneys replacement. The same way Thompson was Bryce Butlers replacement.
They really need to address the C/G role with a rookie. That way you are not shedding some overpaid veteran every year hoping you find his equivalent in the dregs of free agency. I don't think Martin can even play at a Nolan Carroll level honestly. If he is "insurance" for the draft not swinging the way they want and there is not a bunch of dead money later on, I will allow it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oh Joy...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They really need to address the C/G role with a rookie. That way you are not shedding some overpaid veteran every year hoping you find his equivalent in the dregs of free agency. I don't think Martin can even play at a Nolan Carroll level honestly. If he is "insurance" for the draft not swinging the way they want and there is not a bunch of dead money later on, I will allow it.
Yeah and it's funny because that's the way I feel about Thompson. I don't mind him as a fourth/fifth receiver but we need some young receivers who are more than just gimmicky role guys (Switzer) and frankly we have absolutely no one developing capable of taking over an outside receiver spot. Just give me an Dante Pettis or someone who is capable of developing on the outside. We can't just every year be forced to try and dig up another Thompson to try and fill in the Butler role. That should be filled by a legit guy developing.

Same thing with the O-line. You need some guy developing on the second team. You can't have all guys like Martin all the time. That money adds up.

Top Bottom