Random Politics Stuff Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wow, the Supremes rule against the EPA's unilateral power this morning. Big win.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If only she was a member of a branch of Govt that is supposed to be the ones actually making the laws. I'm convinced Dems have never seen a single episode of Schoolhouse Rock

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hate that I have to put this in here, and I almost put it in the TV thread, but given the nature of things I guess it has to go here.. But has anyone watched Created Equal on Clarence Thomas? It is so good. I generally knew his story, but all the extra details add a lot to his upbringing and later life. Most of it is in his own words, too, and he's one of those people who has only grown more impressive as he's aged.

I'll probably get the book also, but you can watch the video for free on Roku or other places, and it is extremely well done. Even if you don't agree with his politics, he's an amazing success story given where he came from. Highly recommended.
Just finished it. Wow. There was a lot of stuff in there I didn't know about him. He just might save this country. He is an amazing man.

Cotton

Staff member
I loved his dissent on affirmative action. He referenced to Declaration of Independence in it with, "we the people" and "inalienable rights" for all people. He is a true constitutionalist, and he should be applauded for standing for all races. I would even go so far as to say that he has done just as much if not more for racial injustice than Martin Luther King did. And he is staunch Republican. Weird.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I loved his dissent on affirmative action. He referenced to Declaration of Independence in it with, "we the people" and "inalienable rights" for all people. He is a true constitutionalist, and he should be applauded for standing for all races. I would even go so far as to say that he has done just as much if not more for racial injustice than Martin Luther King did. And he is staunch Republican. Weird.
Staunch Constitutionalist, there is a difference

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The left would have you believe he's some betrayer to his race, etc. but as the film showed, he felt much pain from the segregated South and had his time as a Black Power militant activist. He just realized that wasn't the best solution, and he rejected the idea that Blacks need handouts because they aren't as capable as anyone else..

Also, how about the way he was attacked during his confirmation? The demonstrators were amazingly similar to today's, even with some of the same dumb chants. And when he gave the "high tech lynching" speech, all those White senators who hated him were stunned to silence. Because they knew he was right.

It's of course a good thing we don't have conditions like he grew up in anymore, but it gave him an incredibly strong resolve and backbone. Not sure people are that strong anymore. You know none of those from elite backgrounds are built that way.

Cotton

Staff member
The left would have you believe he's some betrayer to his race, etc. but as the film showed, he felt much pain from the segregated South and had his time as a Black Power militant activist. He just realized that wasn't the best solution, and he rejected the idea that Blacks need handouts because they aren't as capable as anyone else..

Also, how about the way he was attacked during his confirmation? The demonstrators were amazingly similar to today's, even with some of the same dumb chants. And when he gave the "high tech lynching" speech, all those White senators who hated him were stunned to silence. Because they knew he was right.

It's of course a good thing we don't have conditions like he grew up in anymore, but it gave him an incredibly strong resolve and backbone. Not sure people are that strong anymore. You know none of those from elite backgrounds are built that way.
American hero, man.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
The left will never again(in most of our lifetimes) know what a victory is when it comes to constitutional arguments in front of the SCOTUS.

The Bush family almost destroyed this country all by themselves. Donald Trump with all his faults actually saved it in my view. These 3 he appointed to the SC are taking away the federal governments grip on our lives at seemingly every turn.

This is just the beginning. This shit is awesome.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I love Clarence Thomas, he’s been my favorite Justice since law school.

But the sad thing is to avoid an RBG or Scalia situation he may have to step down next Republican President. He’s over 74, and as a black man who isn’t exactly thin, he’s not going to be going to 88 like RBG.

You figure if DeSantis or someone like that wins in ‘24, he probably has to bow out before Nov ‘26, when he’s 78, before the midterm Senate swing. Otherwise he may have to ride out 2 years of Democrat Senate control (80 years old) and then a possibly Democratic presidency?

Last edited:
Top Bottom