Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2020

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think that’s generous. He’ll be overdrafted and fail miserably because he can’t play in anything but a gimmick offense.
those gimmick offenses at Oklahoma have yielded two Heisman trophy winners with three appearances in the college championship playoffs and two first round pro Quarterbacks. Pretty tough shoes to fill but they were filled except for another Heisman winner by Hurt and he came pretty close. All of this in the past three seasons.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

those gimmick offenses at Oklahoma have yielded two Heisman trophy winners with three appearances in the college championship playoffs and two first round pro Quarterbacks. Pretty tough shoes to fill but they were filled except for another Heisman winner by Hurt and he came pretty close. All of this in the past three seasons.
College is the word.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that’s generous. He’ll be overdrafted and fail miserably because he can’t play in anything but a gimmick offense.
Oh I think he is gone before the end of the third. And I agree, I think if he plays a few games you run a Ravens style offense where it's a ton of QB runs and try to use that to win a game or two before defenses catch up. I remember Belichick doing some of that when he had to use a backup QB for a few games.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
College is where virtually all pro players come from.
I'll bet what he meant by that is that the speed and talent in the pro game is light years ahead of the college game. The best college teams only have a few pro ready players on them. Even the end of the roster players on an NFL team were among the best players on their college teams.

Hurts has long odds of making it in the NFL with what he's shown on the college playing field. He is a QB that is limited.

Last edited:
  • Props
Reactions: Rev

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll bet what he meant by that is that the speed and talent in the pro game is light years ahead of the college game. Even the best college teams only have a few pro ready players on them. Even the end of the roster players on an NFL team were among the best players on their college teams.

Hurts has long odds of making it in the NFL with what he's shown on the college playing field. He is a QB that is limited.
Well and unlike a QB playing at Texas Tech, Oklahoma is way more talented then most of the teams they played. The teams with similar talent Hurts played like shit against.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From Peter King's column this morning:

17. DALLAS. “It’s too high for a center,” said one personnel wag, “but they love the Michigan center (Cesar Ruiz), and they could trade down a few spots and still be sure of getting him.” Interesting: a plug-and-play heir to Travis Frederick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
From Peter King's column this morning:

17. DALLAS. “It’s too high for a center,” said one personnel wag, “but they love the Michigan center (Cesar Ruiz), and they could trade down a few spots and still be sure of getting him.” Interesting: a plug-and-play heir to Travis Frederick.
I'd hope we trade down to the end of the 1st if he's our plan

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still think that is reactionary.

Why the fuck did they draft McGovern if they couldn't count on him for the future?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I really like the player. If we can't find a trade partner willing to come up that far from the bottom, maybe we could swing a couple different trades to get down towards the bottom of the round to take him. Or if we can't find a second trade partner, then take somebody like Baun, Gross-Matos, or even Diggs.

If we could somehow pull off a couple trades to get to the bottom of the 1st, and end up with Ruiz, I'd consider that a big win.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I still think that is reactionary.

Why the fuck did they draft McGovern if they couldn't count on him for the future?
It's possible the staff isn't in love with light-assed Williams playing on the interior, perhaps they feel McGovern could start at LG or C and have Ruiz graded very highly.

If we trade down into the 25-30 range and take Ruiz I'd be fine with it, would probably rather go elsewhere like Baun, etc, etc but I'm not going to complain about continuing to strengthen the OL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's possible the staff isn't in love with light-assed Williams playing on the interior, perhaps they feel McGovern could start at LG or C and have Ruiz graded very highly.

If we trade down into the 25-30 range and take Ruiz I'd be fine with it, would probably rather go elsewhere like Baun, etc, etc but I'm not going to complain about continuing to strengthen the OL.
I'd way prefer this to taking a LBer at 17.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I really like the player. If we can't find a trade partner willing to come up that far from the bottom, maybe we could swing a couple different trades to get down towards the bottom of the round to take him. Or if we can't find a second trade partner, then take somebody like Baun, Gross-Matos, or even Diggs.

If we could somehow pull off a couple trades to get to the bottom of the 1st, and end up with Ruiz, I'd consider that a big win.
I don't think Diggs is worth taking in the first period. I had Gladney and even Pride above Diggs and see no reason to adjust my thinking. Like I said a week or 2 ago, I think a bunch of this is people obsessively watching tape of their petcats and then overinflating their value. I'm sticking with my original opinions before we all got locked up and started rethinking everything

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can add Chaisson, CJ Henderson and Delpit to the list of guys they've interviewed, as per a variety of Cowboys media types (Archer, Watkins, etc.).

Top Bottom