President Trump Thread...

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The financial cost of 16 years in Afghanistan

The financial cost of 16 years in Afghanistan

As President Trump prepares to address the nation Monday evening to announce his strategy in Afghanistan, it's worth noting how much the longest U.S. war in the country's history has already cost Americans financially.

The most current estimate pegs the number at $841 billion. That comes from Anthony Cordesman, the Arleigh A. Burke Chair in Strategy at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Cordesman, who served as a consultant to the Departments of State and Defense during the Afghan and Iraq wars, says that figure includes President Trump's budget request for next year.

Other estimates place the 16-year cost in the trillions of dollars because they measure a broader range of factors.

For instance, Neta Crawford, a co-director of the Cost of Wars Project at Brown University, has estimated that total war spending in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan since 2001 is approaching $5 trillion. Of that, roughly $2 trillion is attributable to Afghanistan. That includes some future cost obligations.

But even that higher figure leaves out some key expenses, such as the future costs of interest Americans will owe for the money borrowed to finance the war in Afghanistan. That alone could add trillions of dollars to the total tab.

While the United States has a history of wartime taxation to finance military conflicts -- albeit uneven -- that tradition was broken with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, according to tax historian Joe Thorndike. Not only did Congress not pass a tax to finance the efforts, it opted instead to pass the Bush tax cuts.

The $2 trillion also doesn't include future spending on the Department of Veterans Affairs related to Afghanistan or the money paid by states and localities for services provided to returning vets.

Estimates vary widely because there is no clearly delineated, uniform way that money spent on wars is allocated or counted by the White House or Congress.

And, of course, no financial estimate can offer a measure of the true cost of war -- the loss of human life on all sides as well as the physical and psychological disabilities suffered by those who survive -- whether military or civilian.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am ready to chuck this war because it isn't winnable. It is a waste and a drain on national resources that are needed for domestic infusion. A perfectly reasonable domestic security program is more than adequate to keep terrorist at bay. It has worked pretty well. There is no need to try to eradicate the extremist because they will just raise a new generation of them as the have for centuries.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought Trump's speech was dead on. You will see spin, but he nailed it. Here are his main points:

1. Fuck Pakistan and them taking our money yet not being a true partner while they harbor the people we are fighting.

2. We will not try to form a partner country's government. We are just protecting our shared interest by fighting along side you.

3. We will no longer tell the entire damn world what our military intentions are. (This has been a huge pet peeve of mine. Nobody deserves to know what we are doing in advance of the action.

4. We will no longer foot the entire bill for these fights. (love it)

5. Fuck Pakistan. We will pull our money if you don't stop harboring the terrorists we are trying to get rid of.

And, now the spin starts.

Cotton

Staff member
I am ready to chuck this war because it isn't winnable. It is a waste and a drain on national resources that are needed for domestic infusion. A perfectly reasonable domestic security program is more than adequate to keep terrorist at bay. It has worked pretty well. There is no need to try to eradicate the extremist because they will just raise a new generation of them as the have for centuries.
What I never liked about foreign war (in the last 3 decades) has been when we were there for reasons that didn't reflect the security of our nation. Iraq mainly. With focused and efficient implementation, the war in Afghanistan can be productive at very little cost to our country.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
The Outrage Thread

The Outrage Thread

And if you'd rather have Kaepernick in your QB meeting room over Moore than I question your sanity or knowledge of how things actually work on an NFL football team. You can't throw Kaepernick in a bubble by himself. It bleeds into the rest of your team. And you saw how that worked out for the 49ers last year? That team cared more about politics than it did winning football games.

And don't take it as a defense of Moore. I don't want him as our backup either. At this point Cooper Rush has shown me about as much as any option we may have.
The only reason not to bring him in is because people are stupid. But don't let me stop you from perpetuating the stupidity.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Not sure this is an accurate depiction of the way the Secret Service employees salaries are expensed.

While it's true that agencies are budgeted on expenditures, salaries are budgeted based on employee authorizations. They are allocated so many employees each year and that Is generally a preauthorized static number. The salary expenses are therefore pre authorized accordingly.

Because The overall Agency may be welll over budget for travel etc., the salary expenses are already budgeted for the entire fiscal year.

There may be some expense shortfalls in the Agency but it won't be employee salaries. I feel this story isn't accurately depicted.
Its also because there are more secret service details at the moment with the Bushes, Obamas, Clintons etc. Plus, they won't pull people from non protective details to bolster those that do so they get worn out doing it.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
And if you'd rather have Kaepernick in your QB meeting room over Moore than I question your sanity or knowledge of how things actually work on an NFL football team. You can't throw Kaepernick in a bubble by himself. It bleeds into the rest of your team. And you saw how that worked out for the 49ers last year? That team cared more about politics than it did winning football games.

And don't take it as a defense of Moore. I don't want him as our backup either. At this point Cooper Rush has shown me about as much as any option we may have.
And, I thought we already heard Jerry say last year anyone that won't stand, won't be here. If you wouldn't tolerate it from your current folk why would bring someone in that already violated that edict. F Kaep. He's a pompous spoiled millionaire athlete that took up a cause in the wrong manner and wrong venue. It wasn't so much about the cause as the attention. Team Cancer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What I never liked about foreign war (in the last 3 decades) has been when we were there for reasons that didn't reflect the security of our nation. Iraq mainly. With focused and efficient implementation, the war in Afghanistan can be productive at very little cost to our country.
That is probably because your beliefs are incongruent with what the wars were all about. We have not been in a war that reflected our own security since WWII. And that might not have ever happened if Japan had not pushed the issue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only reason not to bring him in is because people are stupid. But don't let me stop you from perpetuating the stupidity.
:lol

Well aren't you a bit of an arrogant prick on the subject. Seems to me that most NFL franchises agree with me on the subject. So you may want to check your biases or stupidity.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Well aren't you a bit of an arrogant prick on the subject. Seems to me that most NFL franchises agree with me on the subject. So you may want to check your biases or stupidity.
Eh. In a world where Kellen Moore is a second string QB on a team with playoff designs, it is pretty clear to see some are sticking it to him at least in part to his pain in the ass qualities. But he is not a very good QB unless the system is designed around his skill set, like Harbaugh and Greg Roman did.

What a lot of fans that root for Kaepernick just don't get is that jobs in the NFL aren't necessarily won on merit and/or are fair. There are also systemic factors that play into it. It just another unfair thing in this world that deserves protest. And stuff.

I know it would be nice and simple to say he was being discriminated against, but that is not exactly the truth. It is entirely possible to suspect racism plays a part but people suggesting it is the only part really just don't get it.

He had a chance to go to Seattle. Perfect environment that would tolerate him being whatever he wanted to be. Perfect coach who shows he can relate to anyone. They chose to pass. Gee. I wonder why.

Cotton

Staff member
That is probably because your beliefs are incongruent with what the wars were all about. We have not been in a war that reflected our own security since WWII. And that might not have ever happened if Japan had not pushed the issue.
I disagree with you about Afghanistan. That wat is absolutely for our safety. It isn't comfortable as far as how long it has gone on, but it damn sure is for our safety. It's just shitty that Pakistan is being a dick.

peplaw06

Brand New Member

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

I told you the reason no team has brought him in is because people are stupid... meaning the owners know stupid people will try to cause a media firestorm, start a boycott, or make some social media stand against their team if they sign him. So the fact that they "agree" with you only proves my point.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I told you the reason no team has brought him in is because people are stupid... meaning the owners know stupid people will try to cause a media firestorm, start a boycott, or make some social media stand against their team if they sign him. So the fact that they "agree" with you only proves my point.
The guy pissed off a lot of people so he has to accept the backlash. It's not from stupid people it's from people who feel offended by his actions. It works both ways.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Lol so all the facts that say you're wrong, prove your point? Lol well that is mighty convenient huh? Like I said, one win last year. But I'm sure that just proves how valuable he is.

Cotton

Staff member

:rofl

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

:rofl
How is this shit even put on TV? Like hey, let's try and make Trump supporters look retarded by asking a group a question.

Cotton

Staff member
How is this shit even put on TV? Like hey, let's try and make Trump supporters look retarded by asking a group a question.
What made me laugh so hard is they are truly ignorant/arrogant enough to believe that the entire country holds the same opinions as them and had literally nowhere to go with the panel interview when it didn't go how they expected. They cut to commercial right after that to regroup. Just so damn funny to me. :lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member

Nice.

Top Bottom