PFT: Will next Cowboys coach have no choice but to keep Dak Prescott?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So then it was the others on the team that made the rookie year for Dak. Could be right but it would then devalue his ability considerably without top flight team mates for him.
I think it was a combination of the personnel around him, the league being caught off guard, and the fact that Dak's best attributes were accentuated before opponents schemed to take them away.

Since then I don't think much has been done to change the offense from a structural standpoint, the staff hasn't developed Dak individually and the personnel has deteriorated.

All of that is why I'm still curious to see Dak under a different staff despite the fact that I'm of the mindset that we should draft a top QB if given the opportunity.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it was a combination of the personnel around him, the league being caught off guard, and the fact that Dak's best attributes were accentuated before opponents schemed to take them away.

Since then I don't think much has been done to change the offense from a structural standpoint, the staff hasn't developed Dak individually and the personnel has deteriorated.

All of that is why I'm still curious to see Dak under a different staff despite the fact that I'm of the mindset that we should draft a top QB if given the opportunity.
I can agree with that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Is there really a consensus that Garrett will be fired?

Maybe I'm a pessimist.
Stone cold lock he stays after that Philly win gave JJ a chance to thumb his nose at the naysayers.

Maybe an embarrassing home loss vs Washington could tip the scales, but I don’t see it in JJ.

He truly believes, short of Sean Payton, he has the best situation he can get in Dallas right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stone cold lock he stays after that Philly win gave JJ a chance to thumb his nose at the naysayers.

Maybe an embarrassing home loss vs Washington could tip the scales, but I don’t see it in JJ.

He truly believes, short of Sean Payton, he has the best situation he can get in Dallas right now.
I doubt if we go 4-12 that Jerry would keep him around because of 1 philly win.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I doubt if we go 4-12 that Jerry would keep him around because of 1 philly win.
Yea no way Garrett is here after 4-12, I'm not sure he even needs 8-8 though. I could see us only winning the last 2 games and Jerry selling that as we're on the right path and keep him

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea no way Garrett is here after 4-12, I'm not sure he even needs 8-8 though. I could see us only winning the last 2 games and Jerry selling that as we're on the right path and keep him
I honestly don't think Jerry keeps him unless we make the playoffs. Which this season 9-7 may win the division. But that's a stretch unless this team gets really hot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coaches expect the Quarterback to be able to read and react appropriately. They are after all pro quarterbacks and are directing a team. They have a higher responsibility than just being told what play to run. If you have to do this constantly then you don’t need this individual for a Quarterback. They are the field manager and are relied on to guide the team through the competitions attack. When Dak took over the QB position there was extreme circumstances. Romo was the starter but was abruptly injured. Dak was tagged because there was no other option and he was a long way from being a field general. Now I ask you what options were available other than a planned menu for him to follow? Do you really think they turned him loose and gave him free rein and he made the rookie year what it was without tight controls? If you believe this then explain how he suddenly lost the gift? Make you own determination but please try for a rational explanation if you refute an opinion just for the heck of it.
I'm not saying you're wrong. Simply that its patently retarded to go away from what works. If we were scripting stuff so easily for Dak, why not continue to do it?

At the end of the day I think this system is horribly flawed that we are running now. It's not designed for throwing the ball until a guy is obviously open. We should have some plays where Dak throws the ball based on coverage to a certain place. But we do very little of it from what I can tell. Somehow Dak has grown by leaps and bounds in terms of understanding defenses but our offense has gone backwards.

I will say this, Dak is playing better this year then last minus the sacks. Which is something that can be corrected.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I honestly don't think Jerry keeps him unless we make the playoffs. Which this season 9-7 may win the division. But that's a stretch unless this team gets really hot.
I hope you're right but after listening to Jerry's radio interview after the game I'm not so sure. He sounded like he has dug in against criticism and it will probably take a couple blowout losses to seal Garrett being gone imo

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you're right but after listening to Jerry's radio interview after the game I'm not so sure. He sounded like he has dug in against criticism and it will probably take a couple blowout losses to seal Garrett being gone imo
He was equally down after the Titans loss. Jerry is fickle, he is whatever the most recent success or failure was. Sitting out of the playoffs is like a month of clawing at his soul.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Even if we lost to Philly I don't think Garrett was going anywhere. Too easy to scapegoat Linehan.

I don't see Garrett not coaching this team in 2019 unfortunately.

I hope I'm wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if we lost to Philly I don't think Garrett was going anywhere. Too easy to scapegoat Linehan.

I don't see Garrett not coaching this team in 2019 unfortunately.

I hope I'm wrong.
I hope you are. But I doubt one game makes that much difference one way or the other.

Top Bottom