PFT: Charles Haley endorses Greg Hardy move because of course he does

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Charles Haley endorses Greg Hardy move because of course he does

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 26, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

The Cowboys needed pass-rush help to get themselves to the next level, so they ignored the red flags, and took a chance to acquire one of the most productive players in the league.

And Charles Haley helped them win three Super Bowls in four years. Oh wait, you thought we were talking about Greg Hardy again?

Actually, the two players present many of the same considerations for the Cowboys, and like when they traded for Haley in 1992, they took a chance on talent trumping trouble.

“Bags?” Haley told Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News. “I had suitcases. Full suitcases.”

So does Hardy, who missed last year because of domestic violence charges (which were dropped after he reached a civil settlement), but had 15.0 sacks the year before.

Haley said he plans to reach out to Hardy, after missing him when he was in town on his free agent visit last week. And as you might expect, Haley endorsed the move.

“Everybody deserves a second chance,” Haley said. “He wants to show everybody what he has and what he can do. He wants to be judged by what he does on the field. But the only way you can be judged by the things you do on the field is you can’t be doing dumb [expletive] off the field.

“That’s what I tell all these guys. If you want to make money and be successful, you need to dedicate yourself on the field and avoid those situations off the field. Everyone has a phone or a camera that can record or take pictures of whatever you do. You always have to act like you’re in a little fish bowl with everyone looking at you. And you must act accordingly. . . .

“He’s going to be fine. I can’t wait to meet him and I can’t wait to see him play. I hope and pray the Cowboys make the next step in this journey for a Super Bowl. Sometimes bad boys have to come in here and kick some tail.”

Of course, Haley took action to deal with his problems, including anger management counseling, which he admits might have helped him avoid some of the problems he had with the 49ers.

Hardy’s going to have to prove he’s willing to make amends as well, since it appears the NFL is looking to lay the hammer down in terms of a suspension.

Top Bottom