Panthers release Avant

Carp

DCC 4Life
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 18, 2014, 12:22 PM EST

The Panthers brought veteran wide receiver Jason Avant in as a mentor.

But after sharing his opinion on the way things were going, they may have decided he wasn’t sharing the right things.

Avant’s agent, Doug Hendrickson, just tweeted out what appears to be news that Avant is no longer a Panther.

“Much better things ahead and role for Jason Avant. Definitely deserves better,” he wrote.

Mike Garfolo of FOX Sports confirmed that Avant was indeed released.

Avant made some comments after last week’s loss that pointed to the conservative play-calling down the stretch, when the Panthers played for a potential game-winning field goal, which was ultimately missed by Graham Gano.

“I’ve been in the league a long time. I know two things. You never want to give a team a chance to win a game, with how much time was left on the clock. And asking a kicker to make a 50-yard field goal with the game on the line is rough sledding,” Avant said, via Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. “If that’s the only option, yes. But if it’s not, you want to get as close as you can and think score and play to score a touchdown. Because I’d rather the team have to score a touchdown to win the game than to have to kick a field goal. It’s just a lot different. It’s a 30-yard difference.”

By running off a more productive receiver in Steve Smith, the Panthers made it clear that boat-rocking wasn’t going to be tolerated.

But those comments were fairly tame compared to the near-mutinies Smith occasionally declared.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Geez. The Turk is busy today.

shane

DCC 4Life
Solid player. I think he'll be a good addition to a playoff contender somewhere.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Chiefs signed him.

Top Bottom