Owning: Film room - Breaking down how Connor Williams thwarted Trysten Hill in 1-on-1s during Cowboys training camp

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By John Owning
In a battle between the Dallas Cowboys' last two second-round picks, Connor Williams was able to get the better of Trysten Hill on multiple occasions during the compete period, where the team gathers around to watch specific one-on-one matchups.

On the first rep, the rookie defensive tackle was able to get some initial push on the Texas product; however, Williams displayed his improved anchor, as he stoned Hill before he could get in the vicinity of the quarterback:

On this snap, Hill is aligned in an under tackle's alignment with an outside shade over Williams, who aligned at his usual left guard position. Once the ball was snapped, Williams took a short set against Hill, looking to land a thunderous blow on Hill's frame an impede the rookie's forward progress before it could get started.

To Hill's credit, he initiated a stab with his outside (right) arm and then sequenced into a powerful club move with his inside (left) hand. This put Hil in a good position to attack Williams' inside edge; however, the second-year guard did an outstanding job of recovering, attaining depth in his pass set and then cutting off the Central Florida product.

Moreover, Williams showed fantastic body control and advanced hand usage, as he was able to retract and re-leverage his hands onto Hill's frame. From there, Williams executed a short hop backward to put himself in position to fight pressure with pressure and anchor against Hill's power rush, preventing the defensive tackle from pushing Williams into the quarterback's lap.

On another rep, Williams once again displayed impressive hand technique as he was able to re-leverage his hands against Hill's counter club:

On this rep, Williams once again short sets Hill as a means to inhibit the defensive tackle's forward momentum off the snap.

Once again, Williams' outside strike is countered by Hill, who uses another counter club move. Even though he's initially out of position, Williams displayed impressive foot speed to cut off Hill before he can flatten to the quarterback's position in the pocket.

After that, Williams does an excellent job of re-leveraging his hands, as he latched on to Hill's frame. From there, Williams is able to continue sliding his feet, walling off Hill and preventing him from applying pressure on the quarterback.

These are the types of plays that Williams would have struggled to defend last season. Because Williams possessed below-average play strength and couldn't trust his anchor as a result, it caused him to lean forward heavily when defending power, putting his weight over his toes in an attempt to put enough power behind his strikes to stymie a defensive tackle's power rush, which made it easy for defenders to beat him with counter moves.

This year, however, Williams's additional strength has given himself more confidence in his anchor, resulting in Williams being more balanced when executing his hand techniques. Thus putting himself in an optimal position to re-leverage his hands and slide his feet to cut off a defender's pass rush when countered.

Williams hasn't been perfect by any means during training camp, especially when pitted against Maliek Collins, but it's hard to not be impressed by the development from his rookie year. His two wins over Hill in one-on-ones are just the latest examples of the second-year guard's improvement.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't know whether to be happy for Williams or more disappointed with Hill.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
From what I've read, Hill hasn't turned any heads since camp began. Supposedly pretty unimpressive. As far as Williams goes, I hear his size and strength have improved enough to be at least somewhat evident. We'll see when he lines up again against some of the big powerful DT's this year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hill is a raw prospect, they basically drafted him because he has great burst/explosiveness, he hustles after the ball and he's a legit 305-310 or so to go with that burst. But other than that his technique is very raw, he often ends up off balance and he's overly-reliant on his quickness off the snap. With all that said, I'd expect him to take a bit of time to develop and it's one of the reasons I wanted Adderley or Thornhill, but here we are. As far as Williams, he should be winning these matchups and in general I expect him to be a solid starting piece, although probably never an elite or Pro Bowl type of player.

p1_

DCC 4Life
As far as Williams, he should be winning these matchups and in general I expect him to be a solid starting piece, although probably never an elite or Pro Bowl type of player.
I think he should be a good replacement for LaEl's imminent departure.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
My gosh, an entire article on two practice reps?

And FWIW -- basically nothing -- I thought Hill looked awful in that first rep. Didn't show any explosiveness or even much energy. But again, it's one rep and you can't judge anyone off that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My gosh, an entire article on two practice reps?

And FWIW -- basically nothing -- I thought Hill looked awful in that first rep. Didn't show any explosiveness or even much energy. But again, it's one rep and you can't judge anyone off that.
He looked about like he did in the SF game. If he does not slip past off the snap, he can get manhandled. Just does not have much of a rush plan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He looked about like he did in the SF game. If he does not slip past off the snap, he can get manhandled. Just does not have much of a rush plan.
Yeah there is no hand usage, no moves to slip the initial block. He looks very raw.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't fight your nature. Go with the disappointment. You know you want to...
Well, honestly it looks like Hill sucks.

It was not just Williams who sat him down.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hill was a reach. We knew it on draft day and it’s evident now.

We can only hope he dedicates himself to improving, but I’m not investing much hope.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Hill was a late 2nd round pick. It shouldn't be that surprising if it takes him some time to develop.

p1_

DCC 4Life
with this guy, it's way too early to make any pronouncements.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Reach doesn’t mean bust.

Just that what was taken in round 2 would have probably been available in rounds 3 or 4

p1_

DCC 4Life
Reach doesn’t mean bust.

Just that what was taken in round 2 would have probably been available in rounds 3 or 4
theres no way to know whether Hill would be available in round 3 or 4.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
theres no way to know whether Hill would be available in round 3 or 4.
Yeah I mean if he was a reach or not is all going to depend on how he turns out. Frederick wasn't a reach because he is an all pro player. You never know what other teams would have really done on draft day.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’m of a mind a reach is a reach, irrespective of whether the players busts or becomes a HOFer.

Charlton, headed for bustdom, was not a reach in the late first round.

Frederick wasn’t a reach because there had been an unprecedented run on OL in the first round. No way he’d have lasted. Also we got another year on his contract taking him in the first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m of a mind a reach is a reach, irrespective of whether the players busts or becomes a HOFer.

Charlton, headed for bustdom, was not a reach in the late first round.

Frederick wasn’t a reach because there had been an unprecedented run on OL in the first round. No way he’d have lasted. Also we got another year on his contract taking him in the first.
I can't pretend to know what 31 other NFL teams where thinking. There are tons of surprise picks in the draft. So in that sense I can't say Hill was a reach. But to me he just wasn't a second round talent. So from that perspective he was a reach in my mind. If he was lighting it up right now I'd feel like my evaluation was just poor.

Top Bottom