New Coaching Staff Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
plus wtf does Witten know about winning? go work for a winner and come back and see us in a decade
Yep. He should go spend an entire offseason with the staff of teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Ravens, Steelers, or Saints then he'll see firsthand just how ass-backwards the Cowboys environment is. Simple things such as seeing players and coaches being held accountable for poor performances would blow his mind.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's not at all true.

Dak was just telling a story on the dan patrick show about his first OTAs. Witten literally called Dak out for being off target. Dak said it wasn't that bad of a throw but not good enough for the pros. He said Witten was tough on him (in a good way).

Say what you want about Witten but it's very false to say he won't call guys out.
I think it’s every receiver’s job to point this kind of stuff out to their QB in practice, really. That’s normal football, even in Dallas.

Witten isn’t going to be calling Zach Martin Secretariat while he puts him through drills for being overweight.

He‘s always been a stay above it and lead by example kind of guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it’s every receiver’s job to point this kind of stuff out to their QB in practice, really. That’s normal football, even in Dallas.

Witten isn’t going to be calling Zach Martin Secretariat while he puts him through drills for being overweight.

He‘s always been a stay above it and lead by example kind of guy.
I've seen Witten chew some ass before. I think he is more fiery than you give credit. But he needs experience working his way up as a coach. And frankly he might suck at it but I could also see him developing into a good coach. It just shouldn't be here.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've seen Witten chew some ass before. I think he is more fiery than you give credit. But he needs experience working his way up as a coach. And frankly he might suck at it but I could also see him developing into a good coach. It just shouldn't be here.
He has the work ethic, I just don’t believe he has the knack for coaching it into others, especially the under-achievers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, count me in the crowd that believes Witten has no issues getting into someone's ass.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Witten would probably be a good coach as well as a leader of young men.
I agree. However I think he needs to do it elsewhere. Here's my reasoning.

It's hard as hell for someone to come from within the ranks an organization to ascend to a leadership role in that same organization and be instantly respected as an authority figure. I don't think he'd receive the level of respect and deference from the Cowboys players that he would from players of another organization. Those same guys (Cowboys) who are his peers are instantly expected to turn it off and respect him as the coach. It can be done by people who have dynamic personalities, but typical human nature says those guys would be more likely to look to cut corners and take it easy because "their boy" is running the show. Whereas when an outsider comes you tend to sit up straight in your chair and pay attention a little more.

Just my take on it.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Only explanation is he is boning one of the Joneses grandchildren or something. If he was a Garrett guy, he would already be in New York.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Only explanation is he is boning one of the Joneses grandchildren or something. If he was a Garrett guy, he would already be in New York.
What exactly is advanced scouting? Like developing metrics? His talent evaluation and coaching sucks. I guess maybe he can count broken tackles or time before a ball is out of a QBs hand.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What exactly is advanced scouting? Like developing metrics? His talent evaluation and coaching sucks. I guess maybe he can count broken tackles or time before a ball is out of a QBs hand.
From my limited understanding it can be things like scouting opponents for tendencies (no-huddle %; personnel groupings, etc) and they write reports. Judging how unprepared our STs were last year, it makes you wonder why they felt this was a good role for him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
From my limited understanding it can be things like scouting opponents for tendencies (no-huddle %; personnel groupings, etc) and they write reports. Judging how unprepared our STs were last year, it makes you wonder why they felt this was a good role for him.
This is right, different teams might define it slightly different but generally it's scouting the tendencies of upcoming opponents.

As for why they felt the role was good for him, well, I'm sure you can deduce that with how this family business is run.

Top Bottom