Must See Movies

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Taking the fam to go see the new Guardians movie this morning. I will report back with my findings.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Watched it last night. Good addition to the series IMO

Cotton

Staff member
Watched it last night. Good addition to the series IMO
It was good, but it definitely wasn't the best of the franchise.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Some recent movies I've watched.

A Man Called Otto: This is a good one to watch with your wife/girlfriend. Tom Hanks plays a crotchety widower who is befriended, against his will, by his new neighbors. It felt like they borrowed some aspects of the movie from Gran Torino. I really enjoyed this one. It was much better than I expected. It's currently streaming on Netflix.

Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania: This one came out on Disney+ on Wednesday. It was okay but I could be jaded since the Antman movies are some of my least favorite from the MCU. Felt more like a Star Wars movie than a Marvel movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: Another Marvel entry. I was kind of disappointed in the villain in this one. Overall I thought it fit in nicely with the other GOTG movies as well as the MCU storyline as a whole. I think the biggest take away from this movie is how they take a deep dive into Rocket's backstory. If you haven't seen it yet I'd recommend waiting until it hits a streaming service, unless you're just one of those people who has to see the big budget movies in a theater.

I Wanna Dance with Somebody: This is a Whitney Houston biopic that came out in December 2022. I'll give it a solid B+. There have been a couple of other made for TV documentaries/biopics about Whitney but this one was the best so far. Aside from the well known substance abuse, a big part of the storyline is her lesbian relationship with her "best friend" Robyn. It felt a bit rushed at times as they were trying to squeeze as much as possible into a 2 hour window. This was one that may have been better suited for a 2 or 3 part movies series. It's currently on Netflix.

Draft Day: Finally sat down and watched this one last week. Kind of overrated , IMO. Especially with all the unrealistic trades that were going down. But I guess you can also rationalize that there are certain franchises, the Browns being one of them, who panic easily and are easily suckered into bad trades. I was getting Jerry Jones vibes from the owner who was about to fire Costner in the middle of the draft after he burned the #1 overall pick on a LB. I watched this one on HBO Max.

Cotton

Staff member
A Man Called Otto: This is a good one to watch with your wife/girlfriend. Tom Hanks plays a crotchety widower who is befriended, against his will, by his new neighbors. It felt like they borrowed some aspects of the movie from Gran Torino. I really enjoyed this one. It was much better than I expected. It's currently streaming on Netflix.
Agreed across the board.

Cotton

Staff member
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: Another Marvel entry. I was kind of disappointed in the villain in this one. Overall I thought it fit in nicely with the other GOTG movies as well as the MCU storyline as a whole. I think the biggest take away from this movie is how they take a deep dive into Rocket's backstory. If you haven't seen it yet I'd recommend waiting until it hits a streaming service, unless you're just one of those people who has to see the big budget movies in a theater.
I was disappoint.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Felt more like a Star Wars movie than a Marvel movie.
God damnit I'm in.

Another Marvel entry.
It's out of hand. I haven't really watched anything since the final avengers movie other than one of the Spidermans and I really have no idea where they are in the storyline or timeline anymore.

a big part of the storyline is her lesbian relationship with her "best friend" Robyn.
Color me skeptical.

I was getting Jerry Jones vibes from the owner who was about to fire Costner in the middle of the draft after he burned the #1 overall pick on a LB.
:lol

Did the owner get jacked against the wall though?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
God damnit I'm in.
I take it you're more of a Star Wars guy than a Marvel fan.

Do you follow all the series on Disney+ as well? I feel they're just as bad as Marvel when it comes to cranking out tons of movies and series. For me the Star Wars timelines are more confusing than the Marvel stuff.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I take it you're more of a Star Wars guy than a Marvel fan.

Do you follow all the series on Disney+ as well? I feel they're just as bad as Marvel when it comes to cranking out tons of movies and series. For me, the Star Wars timelines are more confusing than the Marvel stuff.

Way more of a star wars fan. I am definitely biased but I feel like not keeping up with marvel loses me.

Star Wars is different. None of what happens in the series (at least so far) is necessary to know in order to understand the movies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some recent movies I've watched.

A very pleasant movie that yes, you watch with the wife.

Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania:
This one came out on Disney+ on Wednesday. It was okay but I could be jaded since the Antman movies are some of my least favorite from the MCU. Felt more like a Star Wars movie than a Marvel movie.
This is funny as shit. I tried to watch this last night, turned if off after 20 minutes. My son shames me, so I start it again.

My wife wakes up after a nap and as I am trying harder to watch this and she is like "What Star Wars is this?".

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
: Another Marvel entry. I was kind of disappointed in the villain in this one. Overall I thought it fit in nicely with the other GOTG movies as well as the MCU storyline as a whole. I think the biggest take away from this movie is how they take a deep dive into Rocket's backstory. If you haven't seen it yet I'd recommend waiting until it hits a streaming service, unless you're just one of those people who has to see the big budget movies in a theater.
It was a bit of a let down. But it was entertaining, I did not feel cheated after watching it.

Draft Day:
Finally sat down and watched this one last week. Kind of overrated , IMO. Especially with all the unrealistic trades that were going down. But I guess you can also rationalize that there are certain franchises, the Browns being one of them, who panic easily and are easily suckered into bad trades. I was getting Jerry Jones vibes from the owner who was about to fire Costner in the middle of the draft after he burned the #1 overall pick on a LB. I watched this one on HBO Max.
I have tried to watch this once. Then the trading thing happened and I was out.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Way more of a star wars fan. I am definitely biased but I feel like not keeping up with marvel loses me.
Totally.

I'll go farther, I think the Marvel movies are incredibly overrated as a whole. I don't get them at all. The first Iron Man was good, one or two of the Captain Americas were good, a few scattered others were okay, but most of them that I've seen are disappointing.

They seem to me like one of those things that got popular because they were popular and you were supposed to like them.

Top Bottom