Music Thread...

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That's probably because the style and delivery of certain singers affect your sense of what you think the song should be. You like how they present it. We all have our preferences toward what we think is a good sound to our ears.
Yes, exactly.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Geddy Lee has a pretty weird voice, but he rocks that shit with Rush.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...I have to admit that I love the song Wrecking Ball.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
:buddy

Agree 100%. I also prefer Bob Dylan's solo acoustic version of "House of the Rising Sun" (off his first album when he was pretending to be Woody Guthrie on steroids) to the Animals version, as another example. Some of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters are also "shitty" vocalists (Dylan and Tom Waits immediately come to mind). Doesn't bother me. They wrote great songs and delivered them in their own way.
Every great blues artist ever was a shitty vocalist.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Let's go old school then:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION], [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] - going back to 90's R&B, if we were to have a discussion on the greatest R&B song of the decade, this one definitely has to be in the conversation, no?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
An instant classic from an all timer of a group:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION], [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] - going back to 90's R&B, if we were to have a discussion on the greatest R&B song of the decade, this one definitely has to be in the conversation, no?
Good song but I wouldn't put it near the top of my list of 90s R&B. It's more of a personal preference.

Another sneaky favorite song of mine from the 90s was "Constantly" by Immature. Even though they were only about 13 years old at the time I think that's a very good song.

A couple of other solid jams that get overlooked: Tony Toni Tone - Anniversary and Brian McKnight - You're the Only One for Me.

On the women's side give me TLC's Creep, Mary J. Blige's Not Gon' Cry, and Mariah Carey w/Boyz II Men One Sweet Day.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Anniversary is an all-timer.

Raphael Sadiq was the man.

hstour

Brand New Member
While catching up on this thread, had a thought based on the sentiment of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. What other covers were as good as or better than the original.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

Cream/Clapton's - Cross Road Blues
Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Others?

Cotton

Staff member
While catching up on this thread, had a thought based on the sentiment of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. What other covers were as good as or better than the original.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

Cream/Clapton's - Cross Road Blues
Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Others?
Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
2 Cellos cover of Alien Ant Farms cover.....

Cotton

Staff member
Coal Chamber's pseudo cover of The Roof is on Fire.

Top Bottom