Mosley: Why Chidobe Awuzie may make more noticeable impact than Taco Charlton as a rookie

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why Chidobe Awuzie may make more noticeable impact than Taco Charlton as a rookie
By Matt Mosley , Special Contributor

Matt Mosley, contributor to SportsDayDFW.com and columnist for Texas Monthly, answered questions in a live chat Tuesday. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: The Cowboys' 28th pick may have been too low to find a difference-maker on the D-line in a deep D-line draft. Should we have tempered expectations for a fourth-rounder in Charles Tapper?

Mosley: I think we always temper expectations for any player taken after the third round. I don't think anyone's sitting around expecting Tapper to just take over. Maybe he'll make an impact at some point, though. I think Taco Charlton is capable of being a difference-maker at some point.

Question: Seen articles calling Chidobe Awuzie the Cowboys' best draft pick. Do you agree with that?

Mosley: He should be right up there since he was the Cowboys' second pick. I think what folks may mean is that Awuzie may have more of an immediate impact than Charlton at first. Charlton will need to be in the rotation...but he's not walking in as a potential cornerstone. I think Awuzie can line up at so many places that we may notice him more than Charlton this season. And the man loves to make plays near the line of scrimmage. He's been underestimated at every level...and he's always delivered. Maybe that's why he's being labeled at the Cowboys' "best pick." I still think Taco was the smart choice at No. 28.

Question: After the draft, what concerns you most about the NFC East?

Mosley: I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm not overly concerned about the division at this point. If you're talking about from a Cowboys perspective, it's the Giants continuing to beef up their offense. If they ever fix their O-line, this is an offense that could be more explosive than the Cowboys. But I'm not sure adding D.J. Fluker really accomplishes all that much.

Question: How much do you like the idea of La'el Collins as RT?

Mosley: Someone has to start out there. I think the Cowboys drafted him for his versatility. One of the all-time NFL greats Larry Allen moved around early in his career. There's precedent for this. I'm not saying Collins is going to become [Allen], but moving out there will only make him more valuable to the Cowboys.

Question: Were you surprised to see the Niners dump KD Cannon so quickly? What do you think happened there, and how much do you think he's regretting coming out of college right now?

Mosley: I really don't know what happened with the Niners. He received one of the largest bonuses among all the undrafted FAs. He was a tremendously talented WR at Baylor. There's obviously something going on that we haven't heard about yet. I think he'll get a shot somewhere, but I'm sure he's having some regrets. I'm sure he thought he'd at least land an NFL minimum contract, but now that's in question.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I tend to think that Charlton is gonna start. We have a real interesting depth chart at DL but frankly I like the concept of some of these guys as wave players or role players rather than high end full snap count starters. Charlton is a horse that I think can handle a full time starting role, though.

RDE: DeMarcus Lawrence - Benson Mayowa
3T: Tyrone Crawford - David Irving
1T: Malik Collins - Cedric Thornton - Stephen Paea
LDE: Taco Charlton - Charles Tapper

Fringes: Randy Gregory, Richard Ash, Lenny Jones, DaMontre Moore, Jordan Carroll, Joey Ivie

Interesting scenarios:

Can Malik Collins play 1T next to Crawford, so both can be on the field together? Would be great for him to be a long term penetrating 1T next to Crawford (or Irving).
Does David Irving step up and claim a starting spot at any of these DL positions? He keeps flashing but I couldn't pencil him in above Crawford, Lawrence or Charlton at this point based on what he's shown (unless Lawrence is out of shape).
Will Lawrence be in shape and able to claim one of the starting DE spots?
Can Charlton play both DE spots?
Is Charles Tapper a steal who will show he is capable of being pencilled in a starter for next season?
Will Randy Gregory end up back on the active roster?

For a DL with no super stars, this would be a real nice group if 75% of these questions were answered in our favor.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Irving is a rotation player, not an every down starter.

Crawford sucks.

Lawrence sucks.

Collins can play 1T, he did last year. We can build around him at either interior spot. Right now we want him at 3 with Paea at 1.

Tapper will play some snaps, but won't start.

Taco will not only start but by end of season he'll be playing every down. And we need him to.

Mayowa and Irving can rotate at LE and Taco and Lawrence at RE. Tapper can fill in the gaps.

Collins and Crawford rotate at 3 and Paea and Thornton at 1.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Irving is a rotation player, not an every down starter.

Crawford sucks.

Lawrence sucks.

Collins can play 1T, he did last year. We can build around him at either interior spot. Right now we want him at 3 with Paea at 1.

Tapper will play some snaps, but won't start.

Taco will not only start but by end of season he'll be playing every down. And we need him to.

Mayowa and Irving can rotate at LE and Taco and Lawrence at RE. Tapper can fill in the gaps.

Collins and Crawford rotate at 3 and Paea and Thornton at 1.
I appreciate your answers, but while I certainly have always been down on Crawford compared to most, I'm not ready to say he "sucks." He could be a decent 3T starter, still. And I don't think it's time to write off Lawrence either. These guys will never be Pro Bowlers, I think we can answer that, but we could still get a couple solid seasons out of them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Crawford has 9.5 sacks over the last two years, he sucks relative to his contract but he is one of our top defensive linemen, sad as it is. Generally speaking I'd say he's an average to slightly above average starting lineman, although he's probably a better 3-4 fit.

I honestly have no clue what will happen with him though, I wouldn't be surprised if he started at DT, or was a super sub who switches inside/outside depending on the matchup. He is probably the most interesting case on the DL for me this offseason.

I tend to think we are going to start off with either Paea or Thornton as the starter next to Collins due to their run-stuffing ability, and then bring Crawford in as an interior rusher in nickel/dime, or as a DE in short yardage situations.

At DE, I think Lawrence is supposedly more comfortable on the left side so I think the plan is to play him there more, along with Irving. Mayowa is a guy who looks like he will primarily play on the right, along with Charlton.

I'm sure there will be mixing and matching with all four of those guys but that's what I'd imagine the DE rotation to look like to start.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crawford has 9.5 sacks over the last two years, he sucks relative to his contract but he is one of our top defensive linemen, sad as it is. Generally speaking I'd say he's an average to slightly above average starting lineman, although he's probably a better 3-4 fit.

I honestly have no clue what will happen with him though, I wouldn't be surprised if he started at DT, or was a super sub who switches inside/outside depending on the matchup. He is probably the most interesting case on the DL for me this offseason.

I tend to think we are going to start off with either Paea or Thornton as the starter next to Collins due to their run-stuffing ability, and then bring Crawford in as an interior rusher in nickel/dime, or as a DE in short yardage situations.

At DE, I think Lawrence is supposedly more comfortable on the left side so I think the plan is to play him there more, along with Irving. Mayowa is a guy who looks like he will primarily play on the right, along with Charlton.

I'm sure there will be mixing and matching with all four of those guys but that's what I'd imagine the DE rotation to look like to start.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I think I'm more down on Crawford than you are though. The guy started 14 games last year and came away with 4.5 sacks. To me he just isn't a starter. It's funny because I remember back in 2014 as a 3 technique he really was an impact player. Sure he only logged 3 sacks that year but there were times where he looked dominant at the 3 technique spot. But oddly enough 2015 and 2016 even though his sack numbers went up he hasn't done much. He is just sort of there. And than once in awhile he'll get a sack on a stunt where he goes unblocked or something like that.

If you ask me who was better last year, Crawford or Irving? To me that's an easy answer. Irving impacted games. There were times when he dominated the man across from him. I never saw that out of Crawford, no matter what the stats say. Just as Maliek Collins clearly looked like the better 3 technique last year.

Crawford has a use on this defense but I think it's as a super backup guy who can lineup and play anywhere but isn't good enough to start anywhere. I also agree about your DE rotation with Tapper being the real wild card. I'm basically not counting on him for anything but if his health issues go away he has a pretty high ceiling.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I appreciate your answers, but while I certainly have always been down on Crawford compared to most, I'm not ready to say he "sucks." He could be a decent 3T starter, still. And I don't think it's time to write off Lawrence either. These guys will never be Pro Bowlers, I think we can answer that, but we could still get a couple solid seasons out of them.
These are 2nd and 3rd rounders (two 3rd rounders actually) who I agree will "never" be pro-bowlers and you can't build around them. They aren't worth committing to as starters.

You can get "solid" out of journeymen like McClain or Mayowa, right? They cost next to nothing.

The two aforementioned especially had their chances and couldn't get it done. I even have a soft spot for Lawrence all based on one great play, but you have to know when to move on.

Fortunately the Cowboys do, having already drafted their replacements.

If they contribute anything of significance I along with everyone on this board will be pleasantly surprised and also will be praying the Jones' don't respond by extending them.

dallen

Senior Tech
I am hesitant to say it, but this reminds me a bit of the 90's dline before Haley showed up. No real standout talents, but no huge holes either. Just lots of good solid rotational depth. Hopefully we can wear down offenses with numbers. If we get the chance to add a crazy helmet shitter we need to jump on it though

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am hesitant to say it, but this reminds me a bit of the 90's dline before Haley showed up. No real standout talents, but no huge holes either. Just lots of good solid rotational depth. Hopefully we can wear down offenses with numbers. If we get the chance to add a crazy helmet shitter we need to jump on it though
In addition to Haley, Leon Lett and Russell Maryland matured after their rookie seasons and we added Chad Hennings. Maryland was the top overall pick, and Lett was one of the best DL we've ever had, Haley notwithstanding.

Add to that Woody heading to his second year, and Pup as a rookie and Robert Jones as a starting LB and suddenly you had a lot of major positive changes.

Haley was just one of them!

vince

Not So New Member
I've heard some really positive things about Cheeto over the weekend. Seems like he was all business and just trying to get started ASAP. He displayed some discipline and maturity. I really want this guy to succeed with us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've heard some really positive things about Cheeto over the weekend. Seems like he was all business and just trying to get started ASAP. He displayed some discipline and maturity. I really want this guy to succeed with us.
He will, don't worry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will, don't worry.
Yeah I'm pretty excited about the young secondary we have built. Brown, Lewis, Chidobe, Byron Jones and Xavier Woods make for a pretty good looking 5 young secondary players. I really like that core group of guys for the secondary. Sort of solves that area for years to come hopefully. Guys like Scandrick, Heath and Carrol are just here to bridge us to that next group in my opinion.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not quite ready to start waving the towel for Xavier Woods. Of course I like that we got him, I approve of the trade to get him even though it cost us a fifth (a late fifth, which is basically equivalent value to the early sixth we spent on him, a whole year earlier), etc.

But while he was ranked as a 3rd/4th in some publications, others did not have him anywhere near there.

I don't know enough, but I feel like we have been burned on this type of small school safety/DB way too many times. I want to homer out but I am too emotionally scarred.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am not quite ready to start waving the towel for Xavier Woods. Of course I like that we got him, I approve of the trade to get him even though it cost us a fifth (a late fifth, which is basically equivalent value to the early sixth we spent on him, a whole year earlier), etc.

But while he was ranked as a 3rd/4th in some publications, others did not have him anywhere near there.

I don't know enough, but I feel like we have been burned on this type of small school safety/DB way too many times. I want to homer out but I am too emotionally scarred.
I wouldn't necessarily call Louisiana Tech a small school. They've had a decent amount of players drafted recently, Vernon Butler was a first rounder last year and Woods played well against Mississippi St. and Arkansas over the last two years.

They aren't Power 5 obviously but it's not like we're talking about some D-2 school.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was calling out Xavier Woods as a safety I loved in this draft before he even scheduled a predraft visit with Dallas. So I have no problem going all in on him. This isn't some unknown that I read up on after the draft and decided I liked him. This was a well known safety that some less publications in my opinion just totally overlooked.

I understand the reservation about a small school DB but LA Tech is a pretty talent rich small school. This isn't Pete Hunter out of Virginia Union, BW Webb out of William and Mary or Larrimore out of West Texas AM. La Tech actually plays teams like Arkansas, Texas Tech, South Carolina and finished with a Bowl Win over 25th ranked Navy (Where Xavier Woods led the team in tackles).

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I wouldn't necessarily call Louisiana Tech a small school. They've had a decent amount of players drafted recently, Vernon Butler was a first rounder last year and Woods played well against Mississippi St. and Arkansas over the last two years.

They aren't Power 5 obviously but it's not like we're talking about some D-2 school.
Kenneth Dixon was La Tech guy too, and he had a decent rookie year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
In addition to Haley, Leon Lett and Russell Maryland matured after their rookie seasons and we added Chad Hennings. Maryland was the top overall pick, and Lett was one of the best DL we've ever had, Haley notwithstanding.

Add to that Woody heading to his second year, and Pup as a rookie and Robert Jones as a starting LB and suddenly you had a lot of major positive changes.

Haley was just one of them!
No mention of Tony Casillas, a key cog in that ealry Jones/JJ defense.

Top Bottom