Moore: Dez Bryant can still contribute in the NFL, but would signing him make sense for the Cowboys?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By David Moore

2:29 PM on Mar 7, 2020

Indianapolis is in the rear view mirror of the Cowboys’ bus.

In the 10 days since Jerry Jones spoke with reporters on his rolling testament to the brand, one of the tidbits divulged in that 1-hour, 20-minute session during the NFL combine demands a follow up.

Is the owner still thinking about Dez Bryant in the shower?

Just as important, how does Troy Aikman feel about being replaced after all these years?

Aikman was poring over the details of Tony Romo’s contract with CBS and didn’t have time to respond.

A text was then sent to Dak Prescott to find out what currently consumes the owner’s thoughts in the bathroom. He’s the logical person to contact, given how Jones elevated the Cowboys’ quarterback to the status of family member in that conversation on the bus.

Quick aside: if Jones could use the franchise tag on only one of his offspring — Stephen, Charlotte, Jerry Jr. or the recently adopted Dak — who would get it? Who is the most likely of the bunch to test the free agent market?

Prescott, like Aikman, didn’t respond.

So many questions, so little time until free agency is up and running later this month. Here are a few more to consider.

Does it make sense for the Cowboys to sign Bryant?

No.

Bryant is one of the most productive players in franchise history. But he’s been out of the league for two seasons. His last reception came in December 2017.

When fans reflect fondly on Bryant’s career, it’s the highlights that come to mind. That’s the way it should be. But the way Bryant finished his Cowboys tenure is a more accurate reflection of what he might be able to contribute now if he did return.

That Bryant failed to reach 100 yards receiving in his last 23 games. He broke the 100-yard barrier only four times in the final 40 regular-season games of his career, the last one coming against Pittsburgh in November ’16.

His last 1,000-yard season was in ’14.

Bryant will be 32 before the season is done. If the club craves a 30-something receiver, Randall Cobb heads the list.

Cobb, who turns 30 shortly before the regular season kicks off, displayed an outstanding rapport with Prescott last season and played for new coach Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. Those ties mean more at the moment than the ones Bryant has with Jones and Dallas fans.

But wait, you say. Bryant understands he’s at a different stage of his career and is willing to accept a supporting role. Fine. Would you rather give those snaps to Bryant or use them to develop one of the outstanding receivers in this draft class? What makes the team better this season and down the road?

Bryant was an elite athlete in his prime. No one should ever dismiss an elite athlete that is motivated to return. He could make a contribution this upcoming season.

That doesn’t mean it should be with the Cowboys.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that fan sentiment on social media seems to be that the Cowboys should welcome back Bryant with open arms while they move on from Jason Witten?

Again, the embrace of Bryant isn’t surprising. But the dismissive tone toward Witten is misplaced.

A consummate professional who never misses a game and remains remarkably efficient on third down. There’s not a place for that player on a team?

Witten probably will end his career with another team if he decides he wants to continue to play. That doesn’t mean he’ll be as easy to replace as some think.

Is Byron Jones about to get big money?

Yes. It just won’t be from the Cowboys.

The two sides met in Indianapolis and basically agreed to part ways. Jones will be one of the highest paid corners in the league before the month is done.

The Cowboys aren’t afraid to pay to keep their top players. Why is Jones different?

The corner prevents big plays but rarely makes any himself. Jones doesn’t have an interception in his last 40 starts. He’s very good, but is he elite?

Jones will be paid as an elite corner. It just won’t be by Dallas.

You can argue the club is making a mistake here. You can argue his lack of interceptions wouldn’t be an issue if you had other players in the secondary who could create turnovers.

But if Jones does get an average of $16 million a season in free agency, what will the fans of that team be saying by the end of the season, if, no matter how well Jones performs, he has no interceptions?

Now, if Bryant was willing to come back and play corner…

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I don’t see a need or a reason.

Other than Jerry did it for Witten, it would seem a bit backhanded if he didn’t at least let him compete for a spot in camp.

Idgas either way.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I would give a shit if they gave Bryant a roster spot like they did Witten.
Same. Our 4th and 5th wrs should contribute on st's and there's no way Dezs old ass can do that now. Just move on

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dez is a playground WR, and it’s a shame he had weak coaching that couldn’t teach him some NFL route discipline.

Had he been younger, a guy like McCarthy could have helped transform his game. Instead he relied on Romo to be flexible. 4 full seasons in, Dak isn’t that kind of QB.

Even with Cooper as an acknowledged #1, I wonder if Dez even realizes that Gallup is the clear #2?

Next you are looking at a slot WR. Cobb can play that spot, but Dez has not done it. So then we’re down to fourth WR.

I don’t care too much about Austin, Smith, or Wilson, but as was already mentioned they contribute on ST’s and Dez hasn’t done returns in ages.

Bottom line he’s looking at an uphill battle, and the timing probably isn’t right.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dez is a playground WR, and it’s a shame he had weak coaching that couldn’t teach him some NFL route discipline.

Had he been younger, a guy like McCarthy could have helped transform his game. Instead he relied on Romo to be flexible. 4 full seasons in, Dak isn’t that kind of QB.

Even with Cooper as an acknowledged #1, I wonder if Dez even realizes that Gallup is the clear #2?

Next you are looking at a slot WR. Cobb can play that spot, but Dez has not done it. So then we’re down to fourth WR.

I don’t care too much about Austin, Smith, or Wilson, but as was already mentioned they contribute on ST’s and Dez hasn’t done returns in ages.

Bottom line he’s looking at an uphill battle, and the timing probably isn’t right.
and you didnt mention a busted achilles.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
and you didnt mention a busted achilles.
Yep, though the guy works his ass off for sure and so I would expect that to heal well enough.

Even with Cobb gone, you still need a slot guy and I don’t want to force Cooper there just because Dez is on the field.

*If* Dez had true position flex and *if* we struck out in the draft (hard to see how given the depth) then I probably take a look. There is always upside to having passionate players who want to be here.

Those are some hard ifs though

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep, though the guy works his ass off for sure and so I would expect that to heal well enough.

Even with Cobb gone, you still need a slot guy and I don’t want to force Cooper there just because Dez is on the field.

*If* Dez had true position flex and *if* we struck out in the draft (hard to see how given the depth) then I probably take a look. There is always upside to having passionate players who want to be here.

Those are some hard ifs though
What did Devin Smith do?

He was active so it can be done.

Not that I necessarily want Dez back. Jist that the notion thats it's impossible is not really true.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did Devin Smith do?

He was active so it can be done.

Not that I necessarily want Dez back. Jist that the notion thats it's impossible is not really true.
Devin Smith was deactive for most of the season because he can't play special teams. Dez would face the same problem.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Devin Smith was deactive for most of the season because he can't play special teams. Dez would face the same problem.
He wasn't the first few games so its a mtter that they didnt want others to have to. We also had the worst special teams unit so maybe their view of things were not reliable.

Just saying it's not impossible is all. Don't worry Dallas isnt going to sign him. His time is passed and that's the reason in itself

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He wasn't the first few games so its a mtter that they didnt want others to have to. We also had the worst special teams unit so maybe their view of things were not reliable.

Just saying it's not impossible is all. Don't worry Dallas isnt going to sign him. His time is passed and that's the reason in itself
Yeah we might as well have trotted Smith out on special teams last year as bad as they were. I'm hoping Fossil can fix that though. We were literally one of the worst few teams in the NFL in special teams. It is clearly what cost us from winning the division and having a shot in the playoffs.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
I happen to think Smith might have had something in the return game, yet they didn't attempt it. Also, we saw what Pollard brought. :picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I happen to think Smith might have had something in the return game, yet they didn't attempt it. Also, we saw what Pollard brought. :picard
Yeah and Austin was terrible as a punt returner. Some guys just lose the ability over time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dez is a real possibility if we whiff coming out of the draft and heading into camp

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love to know what's going through Nolan's head right now. Like what's his plan? Who is he even going to use to play on Sundays.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
No, let the old regime and the old ways go away. Its MMs team now, let him make his decisions, so far so good.

Even if Dez was in his prime, its still a lot about chemistry and where the team needs to go. This has got to be Amaris WR corp and Dez is no follower. Amari has to lead this corp for it to be productive.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, let the old regime and the old ways go away. Its MMs team now, let him make his decisions, so far so good.

Even if Dez was in his prime, its still a lot about chemistry and where the team needs to go. This has got to be Amaris WR corp and Dez is no follower. Amari has to lead this corp for it to be productive.
Agreed. I want zero part of Dez.

Top Bottom