Moore: Cowboys VP Stephen Jones addresses loss of Anthony Spencer and the DE’s future

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys VP Stephen Jones addresses loss of Anthony Spencer and the DE’s future with the club
By David Moore/ Reporter
dmoore@dallasnews.com
3:55 pm on September 24, 2013 | Permalink

Anthony Spencer’s season is about to come to an end.

Can the same be said for his Cowboys career?

That was not at the forefront of Spencer’s mind Tuesday afternoon as he met with Dr. Dan Cooper to discuss the details of the impending microfracture surgery to repair his left knee. But the defensive end is a free agent at the end of this season since the club has hit him with the franchise tag the last two years.

Spencer will be 30 when he reaches the open market. Will he return to Dallas?

“We’re in a position where we have to think about this season and we’ll address Anthony’s situation later,’’ vice president Stephen Jones said. “He’s been a great player for us and we’ll see how that goes at the end of the year.’’

The size of the damaged area _ Spencer’s is relatively small _ and the bone’s ability to stimulate new growth are key factors in the rehabilitation time. His agent, Jordan Woy, tweeted that he will get the surgery, and be healthy again in January.

That would allow Spencer to take part in the off-season program of the Cowboys or any other team that signs him.

Spencer was a first round pick of the Cowboys in the 2007 draft. He moved into the starting lineup on a fulltime basis in ’09 and was selected to the Pro Bowl last season after leading the Cowboys in sacks with 11.

“Obviously, this is disappointing,’’ Jones said. “But we’re not more disappointed than Anthony is. He worked hard to get ready for this year.

“It hurts us as a team. But we’ve been playing without him for the most part and we’ll continue to do that.’’

George Selvie will continue to start at left defensive end. Caesar Rayford, who has worked at defensive tackle since he was acquired from Indianapolis, will move back to his more natural end position now that Spencer is out. He will compete for snaps with Edgar Jones.

Look for the Cowboys to pluck a defensive end off another team’s practice squad for depth once the club places Spencer on injured reserve.

But Selvie will get the majority of the snaps in Spencer’s absence.

“He’s played really well,’’ Jones said. “He’s answered the bell. He’s a good fit for what we’re asking of him.’’

vince

Not So New Member
My concern now is Selvie's desire to go all out on every snap now that he's been "handed" the position.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
My concern now is Selvie's desire to go all out on every snap now that he's been "handed" the position.
So far everyone on defense has been putting forth a pretty solid effort. Something has these guys wanting to play, and it's likely the fear of getting Sandusky'd by Sean Lee. He doesn't take any shit, Jack.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure Selvie will continue to play with a chip on his shoulder. He wasn't even in anyone's camp. We basically picked him up off the streets. Plus he is playing on a one year deal. Guys like that don't get comfortable very quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like Caesar Rayford look like a legit NFL DE at some point this season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm sure Selvie will continue to play with a chip on his shoulder. He wasn't even in anyone's camp. We basically picked him up off the streets. Plus he is playing on a one year deal. Guys like that don't get comfortable very quickly.
Yep.

He's playing for Spencer's money that Teh J will hand to him after the season.

dallen

Senior Tech
Yep.

He's playing for Spencer's money that Teh J will hand to him after the season.
He'll probably be signed to a 4 year deal on our bye week

junk

Not So New Member
Whatever Marinelli is doing, it seems to be working. That's a patchwork DL generating some pretty good pressure. We'll see if it holds up, but I'm impressed so far.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Whatever Marinelli is doing, it seems to be working. That's a patchwork DL generating some pretty good pressure. We'll see if it holds up, but I'm impressed so far.
I'm still wait and see.

We've played three games and one of them Manning tore our defense to pieces, really.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm still wait and see.

We've played three games and one of them Manning tore our defense to pieces, really.
Only after we were up by double digits and went to a softer type of coverage though.

They couldn't do anything at all in the first half until that one blown coverage.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So now that we're a man down on the D-line, Richard Seymour is at least worth a call.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm more concerned about DT to be honest. With the lack of depth there we wear down, KC got us with the run at the end because our DTs were gassed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
...now hopefully Ratliff changes that, he could if healthy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Only after we were up by double digits and went to a softer type of coverage though.

They couldn't do anything at all in the first half until that one blown coverage.
Dallas' poor safety coverage is a weakness that can't be coached up. Teams with 3 good WRs like NY have a very good chance of gouging the Cowboys for huge plays. The Rams' pathetic WR corps didn't have a shot, especially once they started dropping half the passes Bradford threw.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones has no regrets over franchising Anthony Spencer and has interest in a return next season

The Cowboys franchised Anthony Spencer each of the past two seasons, unable to work out a long-term deal. They are paying him $10.6 million this season despite having to put him on injured reserve Wednesday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he doesn’t regret the decision to keep Spencer, who played 34 plays this season.

“That’s just the life we’ve chosen, so I don’t in any way second guess the commitment we made to him because of the caliber of player he was,” Jones said. “We certainly would like to have those dollars, but I’d rather have Spencer than those dollars. I can’t look at it as the obvious. Anytime something doesn’t work out, I can’t look at it that way. On the other hand, I can tell if anybody was going to get the money under these circumstances, I’m glad it’s him. He’s worked hard. He’s that quality individual and that quality player.”

Spencer, the Cowboys’ defensive MVP in 2012 with a career-best 11.5 sacks, becomes a free agent in the off-season. But he turns 30 in January and will be rehabbing from another surgery on his left knee.

Still, Jones said the Cowboys have interest in re-signing Spencer, a first-round pick in 2007.

“He’s very accomplished, got great experience,” Jones said. “In a matter of speaking, just coming into his own and will be a great complement, if we can go that way, to [DeMarcus] Ware in the future.”

-- Charean Williams

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
“He’s very accomplished, got great experience,” Jones said. “In a matter of speaking, just coming into his own and will be a great complement, if we can go that way, to [DeMarcus] Ware in the future.”
Delusional bullshit.

Top Bottom