MLB Chatter Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No shit. But what I can't believe is they reviewed it and STILL fucked up the obvious call. Even after the plate ump originally called it a strike.
That whole crew should be reprimanded. Especially the crew chief for not overruling that crap.
It was obvious as hell. Garbage umpiring.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Barry Bonds started the whole elbow guard thing. It incentivizes players to lean in and get hit if necessary.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Unreal. Are we sure that's not Angel Hernandez?
You would think it would be but looked it up and it was Ron Culpa. He at least finally admitted that he got it wrong. Im sure that will make the Miami fans feel better....

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You would think it would be but looked it up and it was Ron Culpa. He at least finally admitted that he got it wrong. Im sure that will make the Miami fans feel better....
There should be an appeal process, I think. That's ridiculous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No shit. But what I can't believe is they reviewed it and STILL fucked up the obvious call. Even after the plate ump originally called it a strike.
That whole crew should be reprimanded. Especially the crew chief for not overruling that crap.
The guy called it a strike for shits sake.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That missed call in last night's Braves-Phillies game was comical. Even some Phillies admitted that Bohm never touched the plate.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

How does he get the chance to hit cleanup?

1bigfan13

Staff member

Sounds like CC has a personal grudge against La Russa but I generally agree with him. Especially the part about where he mentioned that the game wasn't over. You should continue to play hard and do your best until the final out. There have been several instances in sports where some team has come back to win games after they looked completely dead and defeated.

Just a couple of weeks ago the Dodgers almost blew a 13-0 late inning lead to the Angels. The Angels scored 11 runs late and made the Dodgers sweat out a win.

Another unwritten rule that I hate is the notion that you're not supposed to bunt to break up a no-hitter. I'm sorry, but my job as a hitter is to try to get on base and help my team win by any means necessary. It's not my job to help you secure a no-hitter.

Genghis Khan

Another unwritten rule that I hate is the notion that you're not supposed to bunt to break up a no-hitter. I'm sorry, but my job as a hitter is to try to get on base and help my team win by any means necessary. It's not my job to help you secure a no-hitter.

I think it depends.

If it's in the 8th or something and it's something like a 1-0 no hitter, do what you got to do. Everything is on the table.

But if it's 8-0 or something in the 8th with a no hitter, it's kind of cheap to bunt. No one is saying to stop trying, just don't have your sole purpose to break up the no hitter. You're not bunting your way back from 8 runs down.

As an aside, I still can't believe LaRussa is back.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think it depends.

If it's in the 8th or something and it's something like a 1-0 no hitter, do what you got to do. Everything is on the table.

But if it's 8-0 or something in the 8th with a no hitter, it's kind of cheap to bunt. No one is saying to stop trying, just don't have your sole purpose to break up the no hitter. You're not bunting your way back from 8 runs down.

As an aside, I still can't believe LaRussa is back.
If it's 8-0 in the 8th or 9th inning, I'm still fine with a bunt attempt. Maybe that bunt single jump-starts a rally.

Here's another thing to consider. With all the extreme defensive shifts going on, there are probably 4 or 5 times every game where hitters are robbed on plays that would have been a hit 10 years ago. So if it's fine for pitchers and defenses to have that extra advantage in their pocket, I don't see why it should be an issue for batters to bunt late in the game.

Make them earn all 27 outs, Gengh.

Genghis Khan

If it's 8-0 in the 8th or 9th inning, I'm still fine with a bunt attempt. Maybe that bunt single jump-starts a rally.

Here's another thing to consider. With all the extreme defensive shifts going on, there are probably 4 or 5 times every game where hitters are robbed on plays that would have been a hit 10 years ago. So if it's fine for pitchers and defenses to have that extra advantage in their pocket, I don't see why it should be an issue for batters to bunt late in the game.

I think just about every no hitter I've ever seen had a defensive play that robbed someone of a hit.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think just about every no hitter I've ever seen had a defensive play that robbed someone of a hit.
True. But I'm talking about these new shifts where the entire defense is lined up on one side of the infield and infielders are basically playing shallow outfield.

Hitters smoke a pitch off the bat and you immediately assume it's a hit because of the direction and velocity of the ball. But the ball ends up being hit directly to some 3rd baseman who was playing near 2B. Those are the kind of plays I'm talking about.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I agree with Geng on this one. It is Bush League to try to bunt down 8 in the 8th or 9th. You wouldn't ever bunt in that situation if it wasn't a no-hitter, so why would you do it with a no-hitter on the line? That's cheap and kinda shitty to be honest.

Top Bottom