MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Those that talk to me outside of the board know that I didnt want to bring him up yet. I knew he wasnt ready and it showed. Once he had 2 strikes I knew it was over even early on. Anyways Round Rock is only an hour away from me so at least I have that until September.
I knew the Gallo talk in this thread was mostly hyperbole. Most of the baseball people I listen to were surprised he came up when he did because the prevailing thought is that he needs more time in the minors. He got a taste of the show though and did have some moments. His day will come.

Shifting to another young Las Vegas slugger regarding hitting with two strikes...Kris Bryant has struck out a lot this season (87 times I think) and probably always will. I have noticed this season though that he has gone from and 0–2 count to drawing a walk multiple times. He did it again last night and the announcers said that was his MLB leading 9th time to do so (tied with Curtis Granderson). To me that is a great sign for a rookie. Not easy to go from an 0–2 count to a base on balls. Takes a lot of discipline and the ability to fight off pitches.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Meanwhile.

Carlos Correa 300/323/567/.889 OPS

5 HR 15 RBI in 22 games.
He is going to be the best SS in baseball...I was going to say soon, but it is almost immediate. I think it will be pretty clear by next season if not by the end of this season.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Niese picked a good game to have an excellent outing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Niese picked a good game to have an excellent outing.
I was thinking that as I was watching, though that the Cubs did not have their strongest lineup out there last night. I know there are rumors that the Cubs may deal for him and he does seem like the type of mid-rotation pitcher they would trade for right now. I was reading a bit more about it last night and if Baez does go in a deal for Niese it will be in a larger deal. I haven't read any speculation on what might be included in that bigger deal but I would guess the Cubs would ask for someone like Rafael Montero to be included.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was thinking that as I was watching, though that the Cubs did not have their strongest lineup out there last night. I know there are rumors that the Cubs may deal for him and he does seem like the type of mid-rotation pitcher they would trade for right now. I was reading a bit more about it last night and if Baez does go in a deal for Niese it will be in a larger deal. I haven't read any speculation on what might be included in that bigger deal but I would guess the Cubs would ask for someone like Rafael Montero to be included.
The Mets have to include a guy like Montero to actually get a bat that is worthwhile. The offense is flatout horrid...I knew with the Cuddyer signing that we were giving us no wiggle room to add an impact OF bat because Cuddyer, Lagares, and Granderson pretty much have to play and are not moveable. Lagares is, but he is the one I want to keep. Murphy is legit at 3B...so I guess the 2 spots where they can up their offense is SS and 2B...just not seeing matches right now. Maybe Prado. Sucks to waste good pitching nightly. Lack of offense will certainly sway Harvey to look elsewhere when he becomes a FA.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Mets have to include a guy like Montero to actually get a bat that is worthwhile. The offense is flatout horrid...I knew with the Cuddyer signing that we were giving us no wiggle room to add an impact OF bat because Cuddyer, Lagares, and Granderson pretty much have to play and are not moveable. Lagares is, but he is the one I want to keep. Murphy is legit at 3B...so I guess the 2 spots where they can up their offense is SS and 2B...just not seeing matches right now. Maybe Prado. Sucks to waste good pitching nightly. Lack of offense will certainly sway Harvey to look elsewhere when he becomes a FA.
That offense is an embarrassment. They have to do something soon because they have an extraordinary collection of good young arms. It would be criminal to not try and give them a legit lineup in order to try and make a serious push. They need to act ASAP if they want to make a run this season. If they don't give a shit about this season then they still have a bright future and time to build the offense, but it has to be frustrating as a fan of the team.

I don't think the Mets would bat an eye at moving Montero in a deal for a bat. It would definitely hurt their depth to move both Niese and Montero but they are so loaded with pitching they can afford to do it. I haven't seen anyone say that Montero has ace potential anyway. Just a solid starter with good control that profiles as a potential #4 with maybe the upside of a #3. The Cubs system is definitely lacking pitchers like that so I would be more than happy to get a guy like Montero as part of a larger deal.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Following up on the Cubs' potential interest in Niese, this is from a recent article from Patrick Mooney, a writer who covers the Cubs:

It’s too strong to say the Cubs are “interested” in Jon Niese. In the endless search for pitching, Theo Epstein’s front office has kicked around just about every name that might be available between now and the July 31 trade deadline.

You got the sense that Niese isn’t anywhere close to the top of the wish list – if the New York Mets left-hander is still even on it at all – since the Cubs want more of an upgrade for their rotation. Niese would also cost young talent plus around $3.5 million for the second half of this season and $9 million guaranteed in 2016.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Fuck Alderson, Fuck Wilpon, Fuck Collins...two straight great pitching performances and the Mets got 0 runs against the Cubs. Sure, Lester pitched one game, but Hendricks is a JAG and we could only muster 3 hits off of him. I have never seen a team so unbalanced in terms of strengths.

Regards,

Panic City

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cuddyer and Granderson never seemed like smart moves to me anyway. Should have been chasing building blocks to go along with their young pitching, not older vets.

Can't panic though. Build through moves, don't overpay just to try to grab a wild card spot this season. If you are moving a young stud pitcher, it shouldn't be for another Granderson, it should be for a young centerpiece hitter.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Like deGrom for Andrus......

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Fuck Alderson, Fuck Wilpon, Fuck Collins...two straight great pitching performances and the Mets got 0 runs against the Cubs. Sure, Lester pitched one game, but Hendricks is a JAG and we could only muster 3 hits off of him. I have never seen a team so unbalanced in terms of strengths.

Regards,

Panic City
20 innings and not one run. :laff

That is eight str8 for the Cubs against the Mets. :mj

It is fortunate that the Cubs are playing the Mets right now though because their offense is also in a pretty serious funk. They have only scored 3 runs in those 20 innings. The Cubs are sitting Fowler and Bryant today and their lineup looks pretty pathetic. Very good chance deGrom can get a W today but the Mets will have to figure out a way to score at least one run off Arrieta or the bullpen.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Happy International Signing Day!

Carp

DCC 4Life
1 run might be pushing it...we just have to hope for a forfeit.

D

Deuce

Regards,

Panic City
I'll get to see your boys next month. Taking a trip to NY at the end of August and Mets are at home against Boston. Hoping to a weekend series will have one of their big guns going and not someone like Niese.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'll get to see your boys next month. Taking a trip to NY at the end of August and Mets are at home against Boston. Hoping to a weekend series will have one of their big guns going and not someone like Niese.
That would be a blast...I saw the Mets/Yanks at old Yankee Stadium...baseball is just different in NYC, lots of history there and lots of characters in the stands.

Top Bottom