MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
:lol

:nodno

He is a stud. If he has an amazing season and the Mets make the playoffs his name will definitely be in the conversation but if Pederson and Bryant come anywhere close to maintaining their current pace I think the bat wins out over the pitcher for sure.
Herrera is going to be a player...he won't be in the discussion, but I sure am excited about his potential.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Herrera is going to be a player...he won't be in the discussion, but I sure am excited about his potential.
Yeah, I know he has some real potential. He just picked the wrong year to be a rookie if he wanted to be in the ROY conversation. He isn't even the caliber prospect that Addison Russell is and I don't see Russell having any shot at ROY.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, I know he has some real potential. He just picked the wrong year to be a rookie if he wanted to be in the ROY conversation.
Yep. Year of the Gallo.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That wasn't really meant as an insult. Big Donkey had 6 seasons in his career where he had at least 38 HR and 100 RBI and finished his career with 462 HRs/1168 RBI. He also had an OBP of .380 or better 7 times. I'm sure the Rangers will be ecstatic if Gallo has an Adam Dunn-like career. I think that is Gallo's absolute ceiling and do not expect he ever achieves those career numbers. Few do.

I do think they profile very similarly though. Gallo strikes out a ton, draws walks, and mashes HRs. Both are lefties. I expect Gallo's average to be pretty bad, as Dunn's was for most of his career.

Gallo is just so young and still completely unproven at the MLB level. Very, very early returns are nice for sure. He could have a very bright future or he could be one of these Dunn-like three true outcome guys that is good but never great. Or he could be Rob Deer.

Last night was a great example of what I think we can expect from him. He mashed a long HR off of Kershaw but also struck out three times. I think there was another game where he HRed but struck out 3 or 4 times. That is what he has to offer at the infancy of his MLB career.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

That wasn't really meant as an insult. Big Donkey had 6 seasons in his career where he had at least 38 HR and 100 RBI and finished his career with 462 HRs/1168 RBI. He also had an OBP of .380 or better 7 times. I'm sure the Rangers will be ecstatic if Gallo has an Adam Dunn-like career. I think that is Gallo's absolute ceiling and do not expect he ever achieves those career numbers. Few do.

I do think they profile very similarly though. Gallo strikes out a ton, draws walks, and mashes HRs. Both are lefties. I expect Gallo's average to be pretty bad, as Dunn's was for most of his career.

Gallo is just so young and still completely unproven at the MLB level. Very, very early returns are nice for sure. He could have a very bright future or he could be one of these Dunn-like three true outcome guys that is good but never great. Or he could be Rob Deer.

Last night was a great example of what I think we can expect from him. He mashed a long HR off of Kershaw but also struck out three times. I think there was another game where he HRed but struck out 3 or 4 times. That is what he has to offer at the infancy of his MLB career.
I don't think it's too complimentary. Sure his HR totals were nice, but he was a one trick pony that had lots of holes in his swing.

Gallo has enough potential to be better than a lifetime .237 hitter.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't think it's too complimentary. Sure his HR totals were nice, but he was a one trick pony that had lots of holes in his swing.

Gallo has enough potential to be better than a lifetime .237 hitter.
Dunn hit in the .260s several times in his peak years but also had a lot of seasons during his peak where he hit well below that. The way Gallo profiles I think that is probably likely for him as well.

Also, I would not label Dunn a true one-trick pony. Sure, he was pretty much just a masher, but he also drew at least 100 BBs 8 times. That's impressive.

As excited as everyone gets about prospects, to expect more than what Adam Dunn did in his career from a power-hitting prospect like Gallo is asking a lot. A whole lot.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gallo has already gotten better at laying off bad pitches. Just in the 14 games he has played in the Bigs. I'm hoping beyond hope he can gain the discipline needed to not be a Jose Canseco type that either parked it or struck out every single time to the plate.

Rev

Staff member
Dunn hit in the .260s several times in his peak years but also had a lot of seasons during his peak where he hit well below that. The way Gallo profiles I think that is probably likely for him as well.

Also, I would not label Dunn a true one-trick pony. Sure, he was pretty much just a masher, but he also drew at least 100 BBs 8 times. That's impressive.

As excited as everyone gets about prospects, to expect more than what Adam Dunn did in his career from a power-hitting prospect like Gallo is asking a lot. A whole lot.
I've seen improvement in each level that he has been. Too early to say he is going to fall to Dunn's level and Dunn didn't hit the homeruns that Gallo did in the minors I think you are selling his prospect short and I know I hyperbolize Gallo here on the board but I think he is better than Dunn.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't see Gallo ever being a high average hitter. His size plays against him IMO...bigger strike zone and a lot more more can go wrong in his swing as opposed to a more compact player.

D

Deuce

I've seen improvement in each level that he has been. Too early to say he is going to fall to Dunn's level and Dunn didn't hit the homeruns that Gallo did in the minors I think you are selling his prospect short and I know I hyperbolize Gallo here on the board but I think he is better than Dunn.
Holy shit, the Gallo defensive mechanism in Rev's brain turned him into Jiggy.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I think you must only remember the last few seasons of Dunn's career. Take a look at these numbers from some of his best seasons:

Those are very impressive numbers for a power hitter and if you expect better than that from Joey Gallo you are almost definitely going to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Holy shit, the Gallo defensive mechanism in Rev's brain turned him into Jiggy.
Its probably more of the sun and humidity from 3 days of Disney. I will bow out for now. Well at least until the next homer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The best part about last night's win is we did it without Fielder and Moreland on the field.

Rev

Staff member
No Fielder again tonight. Hate the NL so I hope we win the all star game.

Top Bottom