Mike Nolan Fired

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only if he runs like a 4.43. Richard and basically all of those cover-3 disciples fetishize CB's who are like 6-1+/200+, with 32-33+ inch arms and run in the 4.4's.

Farley would seemingly fit that perfectly as well.
Richard Sherman ran a 4.56. It's about instincts and length which Surtain gets high marks for.

Not saying I want him at 10, just think he would be really good in a Quinn defense.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Richard Sherman ran a 4.56. It's about instincts and length which Surtain gets high marks for.

Not saying I want him at 10, just think he would be really good in a Quinn defense.
Sherman also went in the 5th round or whatever, although I get the point about instincts and length being paramount.

But if you look at the history of the CB's drafted highly (1st/2nd) by teams coached by Carroll, Quinn, Bradley, Richard, etc., and they're almost universally guys who are 6-1+/200+ with 32+ inch arms who ran in the 4.4's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sherman also went in the 5th round or whatever, although I get the point about instincts and length being paramount.

But if you look at the history of the CB's drafted highly (1st/2nd) by teams coached by Carroll, Quinn, Bradley, Richard, etc., and they're almost universally guys who are 6-1+/200+ with 32+ inch arms who ran in the 4.4's.
Funny part is did any of those guys end up any good?

Again, not saying take the guy at 10. Just saying if there is a perfect defense for Surtain, this is it. Very physical with receivers too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am just concerned about a return of the Cover-3. You got to have excellent players in the secondary.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am just concerned about a return of the Cover-3. You got to have excellent players in the secondary.
Yeah I think you really have to prioritize a legit safety. Good news is I think Diggs would be exceptional in a cover 3. This secondary clearly needs work anyway. But our run defense needs to be priority number 1.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I am concerned about that as well. On the flip side they were going to have to upgrade personnel anyway.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I actually prefer the 3-4 and multiple looks so I'd be just fine with that.
Yeah you need to be flexible. Parcells ran a 4-2-5 quite often.

Really depends on personnel. We need DT's and a NT, preferably with some size, who can handle multi-gap assignments.

Lawrence and Gregory would be fine from a 3-4, and frankly the ILB responsibilities for Jaylon might be diminished which is a good thing

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah I think you really have to prioritize a legit safety. Good news is I think Diggs would be exceptional in a cover 3. This secondary clearly needs work anyway. But our run defense needs to be priority number 1.
We have five total CBs under contract for next season:

T. Diggs 897k <2.5M/1.4M>
A. Brown 4.2M <3M/1.5M>
Reggie Robinson 780k <550k/181k>
M. Canady 800k <$200k/200k>
Rashard Robinson 990k <0>
[C. Awuzie] {4yr/4.3M}
[J. Lewis] {4y/3.2M}
[CJ Goodwin] {1yr/910K}

And as usual are hurting at S:
D. Thompson 1.1M <100k/100k>
S. Parker 850k <0>
[Donovan Wilson] {4yr/2.65M}
[Xavier Woods] {4yr/2.56M}

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Funny part is did any of those guys end up any good?

Again, not saying take the guy at 10. Just saying if there is a perfect defense for Surtain, this is it. Very physical with receivers too.
Shaquill Griffin is legit, AJ Terrell looked ok but was overdrafted probably.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Guess this means Lewis isn't coming back.
I had high hopes at one point but at this stage just doesn't seem like it's gonna ever pan out to be more than it is for this player.

I wonder about Awuzie though. I think they bring some DBs back, won't let them all walk. My guess is Awuzie is back and Lewis and Woods are gone.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I will celebrate the day Woods walks.
Had moderate hope for the guy, but he followed the same false bravado route as Jaylon.

Ready for some difference makers on defemse, get these posers out of here.

I do hope Jourdan sticks around, he's got that...moxie.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Had moderate hope for the guy, but he followed the same false bravado route as Jaylon.

Ready for some difference makers on defemse, get these posers out of here.

I do hope Jourdan sticks around, he's got that...moxie.

His play has warranted a quiet release as his contract expires. His statement about not playing 100% all the time warrants a dance of celebration when he is gone.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
His play has warranted a quiet release as his contract expires. His statement about not playing 100% all the time warrants a dance of celebration when he is gone.
And likewise a high effort playmaker like Jourdan warrants a spot on the team.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I have always liked jourdan Lewis. He has shown the willingness and ability to tackle. He isn’t going to be a lockdown corner but he isn’t generally a liability.

Top Bottom