Mendez: Wilcox says time away gave him chance to study more film

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wilcox says time away gave him chance to study more film, connect with mental side of the game

He didn’t like the time off, but rookie safety J.J. Wilcox believes it benefited him.

“It helped with the mental aspect of the game,” he said Monday at Valley Ranch. “I studied a lot more film. I was able to understand the weakness. I was able to understand the mental aspect.”

Wilcox returned to practice Monday after missing four weeks with a sprained knee he suffered in practice after the Philadelphia game, his best game. He said he’s not planning to wear a brace.

“Just tape it up pretty good,” he said. “It’s more mental than physical. I just have to get my mind ready to go. I will be ready to go this week, go back to work with my brothers.”

He said it hurt to miss all the reps, and that it bothered him missing the games.

“You don’t think it bothers you until you are sitting watching your teammates,” he said. “I’m kind of like a rookie all over again.”

Garrett said Wilcox's return will help.

"He did a really good job when we gave him the starting opportunity early on in the year before he got hurt," Garrett said. "He certainly picks things up well. The game doesn't seem to big to him. He can make an impact both on the ball and as a physical player. Getting him back will help us."

-- Carlos Mendez

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rookie safety J.J. Wilcox excited to be back, ready to help his teammates after some helpless moments

Rookie safety J.J. Wilcox will play against the Giants after missing the last three games with a sprained knee.

Wilcox, who been sidelined since the Eagles game on Oct. 20, tried to use the time away and hone his mental approach to the game.

The rookie third-round pick said studied a lot more film, giving him a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the defense.

"I'm excited coming back and going to work with my brothers again," Wilcox said.

He will not wear a brace on his knee. He will just tape it up as he said the injury has healed, making it more of mental hurdle than a physical hurdle he must overcome.

Wilcox said he didn't realize how much he would miss the game until he was sidelined for three weeks. He is excited and raring to go like a rookie in his first game all over again.

"I missed it tons, tons, tons," Wilcox said. "You don't think about it until you are sitting watching your teammates. I'm kind of like a rookie all over again. I can understand that. I have to understand what I can do and what I can control."

The Cowboys are certainly happy to have Wilcox back on the field as two of three games he missed featured the most yards ever given up by a defense in club history. He said he sat and watched with a helpless feeling wondering what might have been if he had been healthy and on the field.

"Yes...just to see the faces and understand the 'what if'," Wilcox said. "It's the 'what if' that bothers me. I'm just ready to get back man and go back to work."

Rookie free agent Jeff Heath struggled in the starting lineup in place of Wilcox the past three games.

Clarence Hill

Top Bottom